: Escalade w/IPod and Sat Nav stereo

sanchez
11-27-04, 05:40 PM
Two questions for the experts here...First, is there any known way to hard connect (ie RCA jacks, mini-plug etc) to an existing stock '04 EXT stereo (cd/cass/XM...not the Sat Nav touch screen) I've tried both the RF modulator type and cassette adapter and they were both terrible at reproducing digital quality (lots of noise). Second question; whats the best source to get the OEM Sat Nav touch screen stereo option to replace what I've got and does that have easy "hard" connections for an IPod. I think BMW or Mercedes has this feature standard now with its stereo's, Caddy needs to be next.

Great Forum

99escalademan
11-27-04, 07:36 PM
Im not sure about connections. But Ipod has an accessory called the Itrip. All you do is putthat into the headphone jack, and then tune your stereo to fm 87.9 or something . comes in pretty good.

sloppy
11-27-04, 08:28 PM
I think BMW or Mercedes has this feature standard now with its stereo's, Caddy needs to be next.

Great Forum
Not to put down caddy, but they will never be at the level BMW or Mercedes is at. Caddy (GM) cuts corners everywhere to save money and make as much profit as possible, BMW doesnt cut any corners andyou can see that when you drive one.

sanchez
11-27-04, 08:47 PM
Hey Sloppy,

I tried one of those and it sounded like garbage... I think because every number on the dial in my area has a station on it or maybe because the antenna is externally mounted as oppossed to in the windshield?

Take Care

TRASHAULER
11-28-04, 06:01 PM
There is an interface that will let you add an input to your factory radio.

http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/aux_in.asp

you need the model PXGM24 I have one in my 04 & it works great! We've got one in stock if your interested. $99.99

jeff

www.tintmyride.com :yup:

thez06
11-28-04, 11:59 PM
There is an interface that will let you add an input to your factory radio.

http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/aux_in.asp

you need the model PXGM24 I have one in my 04 & it works great! We've got one in stock if your interested. $99.99

jeff

www.tintmyride.com :yup:

Hi Jeff. Does everything else with the radio work ie. XM radio? I read about one particular product similar to this that disabled the XM radio. Thanks for any additional info.

jb-

TRASHAULER
11-29-04, 12:46 PM
Hello
yes everything still works fine

jeff

www.tintmyride.com

MRbling
11-29-04, 12:50 PM
Im not sure about connections. But Ipod has an accessory called the Itrip. All you do is putthat into the headphone jack, and then tune your stereo to fm 87.9 or something . comes in pretty good.

FM modulators sound horrible. The way to go is get one of the solutions that connects to the cd changer port. The one I got is the neo ion from www.mp3yourcar.com it is a bit less then the others ones I saw and they have a very good reputation so I went with them. This is by far the best way to go if you want to keep your stock stereo.

thez06
11-29-04, 01:35 PM
Hello
yes everything still works fine

jeff

www.tintmyride.com

Thanks Jeff. I just called the shop and ordered it.

mv945
11-29-04, 02:11 PM
Has the PXGM24 been tested with the new '05 factory touch-screen NAV and XM? The stock sources are: FM1, FM2, AM, XM1, XM2, CD.

Thanks

sanchez
11-29-04, 06:16 PM
Jeff and MRBling...is there a spare port available on the back of the stock stereo (I haven't started pulling things apart yet to look) or will I be disabling a Source (ie CD changer..)

TRASHAULER
11-29-04, 06:54 PM
not sure about the 05, check with company that makes it, they are very helpful.

jeff

www.tintmyride.com

Samboosa
02-13-05, 07:49 PM
I just installed mine.

The PXGM24 comes with a 12-pin harness and a 24-pin harness.

The 05 touch screen navi has the same ports and it should work.

Everything will work perfectly (stock 6-cd changer, xm, dvd).

You will use the BAND button to select FM1, FM2, AM1, AM2, XM1, XM2, aux1, aux2.

Playdrv4me
02-14-05, 03:32 AM
This is AWESOME!! No wonder this thing won a design award, its something that makes PERFECT sense... Hijack the radio's input bus and tell it something is coming in that isnt really there. Otherwise if you already have the CD Changer you can just use that of course, I mean if you have an IPOD what the heck are you gonna use the CD Changer for. Thumbs up.

rawdog805
02-14-05, 04:33 AM
can someone post a picture of theirs installed.. I'm just concerned because I dont want to see any wires and am trying to figure out a way to have the Ipod there but with no visible wire..

Samboosa
02-14-05, 07:47 AM
can someone post a picture of theirs installed.. I'm just concerned because I dont want to see any wires and am trying to figure out a way to have the Ipod there but with no visible wire..

You will have to have a wire there. The wire I had was quite long but I thought it would be useful if someone sitting at the back would want to change music or something.

http://xs16.xs.to/pics/05071/samboosa1.jpg
http://xs16.xs.to/pics/05071/samboosa2.jpg
http://xs16.xs.to/pics/05071/samboosa3.jpg

Samboosa
02-14-05, 08:57 AM
Did I mention that the unit comes with a 12V wire to use with anything you need and a SWI-X connection as well?

rawdog805
02-14-05, 05:31 PM
so does your CD changer still work???

Samboosa
02-14-05, 07:22 PM
so does your CD changer still work???

Yep.

gort
02-15-05, 12:08 AM
You would think the auto makers would have at least thought to put some RCA inputs on the head units somewhere with perhaps a little slide/fold door to hide it from being hideous. iPods have really gained popularity in the last 5 years.

Samboosa
02-15-05, 12:45 AM
You would think the auto makers would have at least thought to put some RCA inputs on the head units somewhere with perhaps a little slide/fold door to hide it from being hideous. iPods have really gained popularity in the last 5 years.

If you have an IPOD, I suggest you wait for the new interface to be released. According to Peripheral Electronics it will display the track information (title/artist) on the stock radio itself! They already have the IPOD2CAR which enables you to control the IPOD like the CD-Changer.

I am thinking of making holes in the dash to put the connectors behind and make it look neat. I just had to open the whole dash / center console to locate a screw that fell down the other day and found out it would be really easy to do this job.

BogeyBoy82
02-15-05, 03:41 PM
peripheral already has Ipod2Car but first of all it doesnt display anything...u just use your factory controls to control it...(volume track etc)...but the new model soon to be released will display track info, title, etc all on the factory display...only flaw is that the Ipod2car at the current moment you have to lose either XM or your changer...which isnt really an option...hopefully the new model will integrate some type of device like the pxgm24 that will allow another input...and for those that say why could you just use a pxgm24 with the ipod what you dont realize is you're still having to use the ipod itself to control track and whatnot...

The Pawnbroker
02-17-05, 03:16 AM
I have the DVD player. Can't I use the RCA inputs on that?

Samboosa
02-17-05, 08:03 AM
I have the DVD player. Can't I use the RCA inputs on that?

Yes this is what I was using.

I just didn't want to press that button everytime I want to listen to something. Besides, the screen stays on and I'm not very comfortable with keeping it on all the time.

FrankFromAZ
04-13-05, 04:35 AM
Now I am confused...I have an 03 Escalade EXT with the new factory Touch Screen Navigation in it. What do I need to hook my IPOD up to it?? Will my CD changer still work?? Thank you!!

Playdrv4me
04-13-05, 12:23 PM
If you want to do it yourself, AND have XM, AND dont mind losing it. You can splice into the factory wiring harness at the L and R inputs for XM. I did this and it is working well. Ipod2Car is the best solution if you want to be able to have full control of the Ipod from the Radio itself.