: Shifting the beast

nvthev
05-19-12, 08:24 AM
Sorry to sound like a moron, but are these cars always tough to shift at higher RPM? I'm not running past 5k, but getting from 1-2 and sometimes into 3 in this car is challenging. Its either to much rpm or not enough and i get that compression chirp. im sure its partially me, but i been driving a stick for 15 years and this baby is touchy. I can't find the happy medium, and i don't want to destroy the clutch or the tranny or the rear diff. lol

I have the skip shift, i'm going to do the pisnuoff shifter, will this help? Diff bushing maybe? I only have 26k miles on it.

i never had a problam with the t56 in my 02 trans am. and i know they are like apples and oranges.

Thanks
Glen

Aurora40
05-19-12, 09:22 AM
I've generally found the car easier to shift the harder you drive it. Can you explain more clearly? You are foot-to-the-floor in 1st, then shift at around 5k? I just let off the gas, depress the clutch, change gear, and let the clutch out as I get back on the gas. No issues with RPM being too high/low, shifts are smooth. What are you doing, and what exactly is going wrong?

The clutch engagement point is very close to the floor, and the engine is so reluctant to change RPM with that flywheel, so I find it is tougher to be smooth when driving mildly, especially downshifting. It is definitely prone to some horrible jerking though, if you don't get it just right.

nvthev
05-19-12, 09:49 AM
I'm doing exactly that, foot down, let off, clutch in, shift, clutch out as I'm on the gas, I guess it's about my timing, might be shifting to slow, I do get that jerkIng back and forth, I feel like a teen trying to learn to shift again. Ugh!!! Lol.
Thank you for the reply, I'm going to be a little quicker on the shift, see if that helps.

acaringnihilist
05-19-12, 09:57 AM
Try flushing the clutch fluid. The clutch hydraulics are notoriously finicky in these cars. I use a small engines syringe and suck out the old in the reservoir replace it with new brake fluid about once a month.

FoD
05-19-12, 10:03 AM
+1. I changed my fluid and it was much smoother. It does take some practice in these cars...even for those of us who are/were used to driving stick previously. I still get a few jerks when downshifting as well.

nvthev
05-19-12, 10:51 AM
Thank you guys, i checked the fluid, its at the right level, but its got some crap in it, looks like dirt not sure how that go in there. i'm going to get a syringe and change it.

06BlackV
05-19-12, 12:27 PM
Sorry to sound like a moron, but are these cars always tough to shift at higher RPM? I'm not running past 5k, but getting from 1-2 and sometimes into 3 in this car is challenging. Its either to much rpm or not enough and i get that compression chirp. im sure its partially me, but i been driving a stick for 15 years and this baby is touchy. I can't find the happy medium, and i don't want to destroy the clutch or the tranny or the rear diff. lol

I have the skip shift, i'm going to do the pisnuoff shifter, will this help? Diff bushing maybe? I only have 26k miles on it.

i never had a problam with the t56 in my 02 trans am. and i know they are like apples and oranges.

Thanks
Glen

I have this problem as well but only when i switch from 4-5th at approx 5k rpms,, :/ i have the ls7 clutch setup with only 7k miles on it

wcryan
05-21-12, 11:42 AM
first off. Our cars are very hard to get used to with the whole "shifting thing". If you put some new person in your car and watch them from outside, it makes you laugh. Ive seen it many times at the car wash. Every person almost stalls it, every time

start from least expensive to expensive methods

Clutch fluid- Get a syringe and put the fluid out. Then add more. Put the top on and pump your clutch 50 times or so. Repeat about 3 times

Tranny flush- Get some amsoil ATF Torque drive and have it changed. I changed my tranny fluid with an amsoil product at 44k. My shop said my fluid was dark as hell and it needed it. I can definately tell it shifts better

If non of that helps to your liking. Then you just have to deal with our stupid dual mass flywheel setup that this car has. Or get a new LS7 setup

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-21-12, 12:47 PM
Looking forward to your updates, nvthev! I was sorry to read of your shifting confusion, but it's great that so many community members could assist with troubleshooting this weekend.

Hope everything goes well with the clutch fluid change! As I'm sure you're aware, page 6-13 of your owners manual contains the helpful "Recommended Fluids and Lubricants" details.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

PISNUOFF
05-21-12, 02:23 PM
Flush the clutch fluid properly by the bleeder at the trans. This is most likely your issue. I run amsoil synchromesh ATF. That's what amsoil recommends for a T56.

SevillianSTS
07-15-12, 01:44 AM
Flush the clutch fluid properly by the bleeder at the trans. This is most likely your issue. I run amsoil synchromesh ATF. That's what amsoil recommends for a T56.

Amsoil lists synchromesh as a manual transmission fluid ??

Yet the trans clearly shows to use Dex III

But I do see where under the appliacations they say it is used in a T-56

But if you put in the info for our cars into their site, they tell us to use Torque-Drive. I spoke with C66 racing a while back and they also recommended the torque drive.

I'm confused. :confused:

Pisnuoff, any advise regarding this ?

PISNUOFF
07-15-12, 11:16 AM
My bad. TORQUE DRIVE, torque drive, torque drive. I run Amsoil Torque Drive ATF.

odthetruth
07-15-12, 02:59 PM
Thank you guys, i checked the fluid, its at the right level, but its got some crap in it, looks like dirt not sure how that go in there. i'm going to get a syringe and change it.

Its clutch dust. You can get a shop towel to clean it out.

I'd do this after the syringe move.

My bad. TORQUE DRIVE, torque drive, torque drive. I run Amsoil Torque Drive ATF.

^ This

SevillianSTS
07-15-12, 05:49 PM
***edited post*** moved to new thread

Rakenjevnk
07-16-12, 02:38 PM
I have this problem as well but only when i switch from 4-5th at approx 5k rpms,, :/ i have the ls7 clutch setup with only 7k miles on it

same for me. 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, are all way easier to shift at high speed/rpm though, feels more natural in this car.

C66 Racing
07-22-12, 09:12 AM
This is the primary AMSOIL recommendation for the T56:
AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/ATDPB.htm) (Product Code ATD1G)

I used this in my V before selling it as a casualty of my move to DC in 09 and have been using it in my Vette at the track since about 07. No issues.

More than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Preferredcustomer.htm). Drop me a PM if interested. :cheers: