: Best fuel for a 2007 escalade

Blackcady07
05-18-12, 07:50 PM
I use mobil 93. People say Its best if I use 87?true or.false

BlownEscalade
05-18-12, 09:59 PM
I would say to use premium. Get better gas mileage too.

fitz08
05-18-12, 10:10 PM
IMO if you have no upgrades and no tune, 87 is fine

GM-4-LIFE
05-18-12, 11:20 PM
I would say 91 octane or higher on a high compression engine like the 6.2L. I tried 87 and it just wasn't responsive off the line or as smooth. 87 will last longer, however. 91 will burn faster. You will get better mileage with 87 octane. I have done the comparison.

kazza93203
05-19-12, 12:21 AM
87 will NOT last longer! 91 will but then again it's a 6.2L. What you expect, u go putting 87 and have the engine have to burn more to get the same power as with 91. So it's either buy cheap and buy more often cause its not performing as a 6.2L, or gets what's recommended and get 91 and have to waste less in gas and a few bucks more for premium.

BQuicksilver
05-20-12, 12:10 AM
You do know higher octane does NOT mean more power, right? Lower octane gives more power, but has a less controlled burn and therefore more risk of detonation.

If your truck senses detonation from too low of octane (via knock sensors), it will move to a less aggressive tune map. THEN (and only then) you lose power. If GM okayed the truck for 87 octane, I'd bet 87 octane is max power unless you have a bunch of carbon buildup increasing heat/compression at the peak of summer.

That is why guys with highly boosted/high compression sports cars run high octanes. Not for power from the fuel (it gives less power), but to run more boost or compression without detonation, which effects power MUCH more than fuels.

cgman
05-20-12, 09:09 AM
The amount of energy in the gasoline is measured in BTUs or Calories and has nothing to do with the octane rating. Using a gasoline with too low of an octane rating will cause knocking, which is bad for your engine. Back in the good old days, oil companies did a lot of advertising suggesting premium gas would make your car go faster. "Put a tiger in your tank."

Since gasoline contracts when it's cold, you will get more BTUs per gallon by buying cold gasoline. So if you see the gas tanker at your favorite station on a hot day, go somewhere else. Because, you will be getting warm gas. On the other hand, if it's really cold outside in this situation, it's a good time to buy. Up in Canada, the oil companies use fancy gas pumps that measure the temperature of the gasoline and gives less per dollar for cold gas.

BQuicksilver
05-20-12, 12:32 PM
While colder fuel would hold more BTU's, I doubt you see any effect unless the tanker just left the station. Even if it's cold you don't want fuel then bc whatever junk is in their tanks was just tossed up by them being filled by the tanker. I'm sure some stations have better filters than others, but I'd prefer to keep my tank clean since I can't see the condition of their filters.

Also, you'll always burn more fuel when it's cold out. Air is denser and therefore the truck takes in more oxygen, which requires more fuel to keep a correct mixture. This will have a much greater negative effect on economy than caring about the temp of the tanker at the station. Air can compress/expand more than liquid.

bigtone1013
05-20-12, 01:18 PM
You guys might as well be talking about rocket science to me but I love reading your posts

Punmax
05-21-12, 04:08 AM
160K on my '07, and I've been using 87. No problems.

zam2000
05-21-12, 12:11 PM
I've tried everything, and end up with pretty much same gas mileage & power.

So I just stick with 87 at Costco