: OEM Rear shocks VS Bilstein/Arnott Rear Air Shock

Braknglases07
05-18-12, 09:44 AM
I have an 07 and my compressor is running a lot so i checked the bags on my rear shocks and they are leaking! Has anyone bought the new Bilstein rear
shocks I see they have a sensor bypass, what do these sensors actually do and what am i loosing if i purchase these bilstein shocks vs buying bilstein
remanufactured shocks

Here is the link to both of them
OEM Refurb
http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CADILLAC_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid6_pid150_gid 596.html
New Bilstein/ Arnott
http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CADILLAC_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid6_pid150_gid 595.html

I

hcvone
05-18-12, 10:02 AM
I have an 07 and my compressor is running a lot so i checked the bags on my rear shocks and they are leaking! Has anyone bought the new Bilstein rear
shocks I see they have a sensor bypass, what do these sensors actually do and what am i loosing if i purchase these bilstein shocks vs buying bilstein
remanufactured shocks

Here is the link to both of them
OEM Refurb
http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CADILLAC_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid6_pid150_gid 596.html
New Bilstein/ Arnott
http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CADILLAC_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid6_pid150_gid 595.html

I

Well you would have to do all 4 Bilstein's, you could not really run half and half, you lose the electronic road sensing suspension control that the stock shocks have, was an early version of the magnetic ride, the bypass sensor lies to the computer to stop error messages

Braknglases07
05-18-12, 10:25 AM
I just bought new OEM front shock off ebay about a year ago.. my originals ones were leaking so bad there would be a huge puddle under them in the morning.. I was kind of leaning towards the OEM to begin with.

hcvone
05-18-12, 12:21 PM
I just bought new OEM front shock off ebay about a year ago.. my originals ones were leaking so bad there would be a huge puddle under them in the morning.. I was kind of leaning towards the OEM to begin with.

That is the way I wold go

evois
05-18-12, 08:47 PM
I just replaced mine with oem and I feel the same suspension as new. Just use oem if I were you.

quattrotman
05-19-12, 09:59 PM
Well you would have to do all 4 Bilstein's, you could not really run half and half, you lose the electronic road sensing suspension control that the stock shocks have, was an early version of the magnetic ride, the bypass sensor lies to the computer to stop error messages

Why would you need to do all 4? Many people just do the fronts. As long as you do both fronts or both rears it shouldn't matter...when you put the bypass on them no error messages. I'm betting the ride is probably better and more controlled with the bilsteins anyways. I will be going that route when my shocks go bad. The OEM crap are one of the most common things to go on the Escalade. They are overpriced and garbage IMO. Bilstein is a top quality shock, self adjusting and ride great. I have used them in a few cars I've owned.

Braknglases07
05-20-12, 12:00 PM
but aren't the sensors there to sense? if your by passing them your losing something aren't you? WHat do they actually do and what do you lose by by passing them?

quattrotman
05-20-12, 04:53 PM
but aren't the sensors there to sense? if your by passing them your losing something aren't you? WHat do they actually do and what do you lose by by passing them?

Absolutely. The sensors have a function and they are to control the dampening in the OEM shocks. Bilsteins are self adjusting...a system that works very well but it is a mechanical rather than electronic system. It is up to you to decide if that is important to you and worth keeping. The OEM shocks are very expensive and IMO are of poor quality. My 07 is on it's 3rd front pair and has 60K mi. That is not normal in my books. While I was shopping for my truck I looked and many, many escalades...every single one of them had a service history which involved the replacement of front shocks...some after as little as 10k mi. A lot of the trucks I looked at had had their front shocks done more than once. I just don't think they are a good product..don't care if they are OEM. OEM doesn't always mean good design. Many things we do on our trucks, remove OEM stuff to make room for the aftermarket. Better brakes, better exhaust, better wheels/tires etc. If you are one of those owners that needs to keep everything stock, then you should go with the OEM stuff. For me, my 07 is a pretty used car and it's resale, IMO, is not going to really be affected by putting Bilteins in as opposed to OEM. I personally think the whole magnetic ride control stuff is pretty gimicky and a set of high performance shocks will do a much better job and last much longer. The ride is probably going to be a bit firmer but I like that. In the end, I think if you are concerned, maybe you should just go the OEM route and then you know what you have. No surprises.