: 1996 Deville dead after hitting rock

Kealii
11-27-04, 12:31 PM
:banghead: I was traveling down a canyon over the holidays and ran over a a rock in the road. The car died and engine would crank but not start. After towing it home and putting the vehicle up on jacks I could not find any damage. I checked all the connections and verified spark to the engine. You can hear the fuel pump prime itself for a couple seconds in the run position. I disconnected the fuel line before the filter and put the ignition in the run position. A small amount of fuel came out but very little. I plugged the fuel line with my thumb and had my father turn the key. I felt very little pressure. My opinion is that the gas tank got hit by the rock which may be causing the malfunction. Any suggestions? I was reading in a previous thread that there may be a bypass door in the trunk which enables easy access to the fuel pump. Is this true for the 96 deville?

dkozloski
11-27-04, 02:31 PM
It's more likely that you mashed the gas line flat some place. Check it end to end.

Rob Benham
11-27-04, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure on this one, but on most cars the engine would have to be running to get more than the two seconds of fuel. There was a mention of a way to bypass this so that you can check the flow some weeks ago.

Also another thing I haven't tried on this engine, but how about some quick-start fluid or a little gas in the intake to see if the engine does in fact run. A LITTLE, don't get hydraulic lock!!! Remember, if the above assumption is correct, if the engine started, the pump will run and you may get fuel coming out of the disconnected line!

come to think about it, if what i suggested worked, you would be right back to doing what Dkosloski suggested in the first place, so do that first. :hmm:

Kealii
11-27-04, 05:05 PM
Fuel lines are good end to end. Whats the best way to troubleshoot a fuel pump? I removed the fuel filter and turned the ignition to start. A small amount of fuel came out but not much. Does the fuel pump have a safety feature that prevents you from testing it with the line removed?

96 STS
11-27-04, 06:43 PM
Kealii, just my .02 cents from some thing I learned recently from an issue I had with my Seville. I assume that the Deville probably has the same, or similar, setup & parameters.

The PCM is "programmed" to switch the fuel pump on for 2 seconds when the ignition is switched on. This primes the system for startup. The pump then will not operate again until certian ignition criteria are met. I assume this means that the engine has to be running before the pump will turn back on again.

If the car is in a quiet enough area, you should be able to hear a slight humming sound for the 2 second period. If you hear it, then your pump is probably o.k. If not, I'd start by checking wiring to the pump. Maybe wiring was damaged by this big rock.

Good luck!

96 STS

Ranger
11-27-04, 06:52 PM
I think you can jump it at the relay. That should make it run continuous but I doubt that will help. Two seconds is long enough to pressurize the system and when you crank, it runs continuous. Have you checked the pressure with a guage? Maybe it jarred the pump loose in the tank or something on that order.