: Early Seville EFI to carb swap - Olds 350 engine

noco
05-17-12, 06:47 PM
Wrote these several years ago. Thought somebody could use them here. Did several of these carb swaps. Sure made a BIG difference in performance and driveability compared to the EFI, even with the stock 2.56:1 posi. Fun drivers afterwards. Big selling point too. No pix in the how to's, but added some from the last conversion.

I tried Holley, Qjet and Edelbrock carbs. The 1406 Edelebrock worked the best.

noco

Submariner409
05-18-12, 09:58 AM
Remember, folks - this is a conversion done on an Olds 350 iron engine..............don't get your hopes up.

noco
05-19-12, 07:59 PM
I agree the cast iron Olds's 350 is not a modern engine, but then there's something to be said for simplicity and low cost updates everybody can do that just can't be matched in anything Cadillac has offered since the early 80's. You really have to own one to understand the difference. The EFI Sevilles of the late 70's performance was never impressive new, at least in my opinion. One big thing that would have helped was to have spent more time sorting out the EFI. I think spending more time on sensor placement would have been a good idea. Moving some of mine around helped. Switching to carb made a big difference and I'd say the 30+ people I did them for over the years would agree. These old Caddy's make great low cost family hot rod's or cruiser's, but only if you like a well built 4 door with unique styling and some get up and go. I drove those older Sevilles on a regular basis with other low cost changes with no issues. I have since moved on to older trucks. My current summer driver is a 64 Ford F100 with a 1978 Seville front and rear suspension with 4 wheel power disc brakes and a Cadillac ride.

noco

Submariner409
05-20-12, 09:54 AM
Not a problem - I build Olds 455 marine engines - but you're in a predominantly 4.6 OHC and 4.9 pushrod engine car - FWD - forum.

Let me snoop around in the Engines discussions and see if there's a place you'll get some conversion info.

...............OK, I'll move this down to Engines, 5.0 and 5.7. Don't get your hopes up - it's a quiet forum.