: JE5 Brake Replacement

kschwed
05-17-12, 07:26 PM
I'm going to replace all 4 pads and rotors. I believe my fronts are warped - they are extremely shaky and have already been turned once. Either way, I want some suggestions on which rotors/pads to use for the JE5 system. I don't need the top of the line, but I am not impressed with the AC Delco stuff I've had.

Also, I've never done brakes on this car before, so some tips/pictures/walkthrough would be great.

Thanks

malatu
05-17-12, 08:29 PM
They may not be warped. It could be foreign material "build up". There was quite a lengthy thread a couple of months ago on the subject. I thought it was quite interesting as well as informative.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/252247-warped-rotors.html

I assume you know that once the rotor's thickness is cut beyond the minimum, you have to replace.

Try Frozen Rotors. I put a pair on my wife's daily driver a few years ago. They've performed flawlessly. Though they weren't cheap.

dkozloski
05-17-12, 08:31 PM
I just replaced my front JE5 brakes. I used NAPA Ultra-Premium rotors and Adaptive-One pads. Now when I apply the brakes it feels like the hand of God has reached out and grabbed the car. They couldn't be smoother. All you need is a floor jack, some jackstands, a couple of wrenches, a torque wrench, a set of torx drivers, a big C clamp, a medium sized C clamp, and some red and some blue Lock-Tite. Everything else you need to know is in the Factory Service Manual.

Subsailor613
05-17-12, 09:18 PM
I've done mine twice, and a Ratcheting breaker bar,and Metric sockets
are recommended, and torquing the Lug nuts to 95 ft.lbs. is also
recommended, as to NOT warp the rotors.
A little lube on the sliders, and stickey on the back of the pads is a
great brake job. I used Performance Brakes, drilled & Slotted Rotors(Black).
Have fun ! Good Luck !

scott9001
05-18-12, 07:25 PM
I've done mine twice, and a Ratcheting breaker bar,and Metric sockets
are recommended, and torquing the Lug nuts to 95 ft.lbs. is also
recommended, as to NOT warp the rotors.
A little lube on the sliders, and stickey on the back of the pads is a
great brake job. I used Performance Brakes, drilled & Slotted Rotors(Black).
Have fun ! Good Luck !

hey where did you get your rotors and any noise problems?