: Guys - I'm teaching my fiance how to drive the V this weekend...pray for me!!

perfect
05-17-12, 01:32 PM
So the fiance and I are getting married in Hilton Head Island, SC next month. We're taking the V on a road trip and I figured it would be a good idea if she knew how to drive my car (just in case anything happened to me - I'm hoping that she won't have to drive it at all).

But, she's never driven a stick and doesn't really seem to understand how and why shifting is necessary.

Pray for me. Pray for my car. Pray for my clutch. Alternatively, avoid any roads that happen to be in our path from KC to HHI throughout June.

Any of you guys have funny stories of teaching your wife/fiance/daughter/neighbor/etc how to drive your V?

FoD
05-17-12, 02:05 PM
I have tried to teach my fiance how to drive stick but she is scared (more scared of hurting the car than anything else). She knows how to put in into first, and she has stalling down pat!

CTSV_510
05-17-12, 02:07 PM
I would think that cars with this much torque should be easier to learn on. Good luck!

P-Funk
05-17-12, 02:12 PM
Good luck!!!

I tried to teach my wife to drive my V (like you said, just in case) but she just gave up after the second lesson.

rand49er
05-17-12, 02:40 PM
What guys won't do for a woman. :helpless:

EdmundGTP
05-17-12, 03:12 PM
The V is cake to drive. If you "know" how to do it, I couldn't imagine an easier car to actually carry out the actions in. The first time I ever drove a manual for more than 20 feet in a parking lot was the day that I took possession of my V from it's previous owner. And on top of that, my first actual drive in it was giving him a ride back to his restaurant right after he handed me the keys. Definition of being put on the spot. Nervous, yes but everythingwentmuchbetterthanexpected.jpg.

Getting the shifting and clutch work to a point where shifts are very smooth takes some practice, but if it really came down to it, somebody with minimal manual experience or knowledge could easily drive this car if they had to.

GDPossehl
05-17-12, 03:16 PM
The easiest manual to drive is my dads beater 93 civic dx. The thing practically falls into gear. When I get back into mine I have to use much more effort to move the shifter. I'd say my brother's '12 Audi S4 has the perfect shift feel.

CTSV_510
05-17-12, 03:45 PM
Getting the shifting and clutch work to a point where shifts are very smooth takes some practice, but if it really came down to it, somebody with minimal manual experience or knowledge could easily drive this car if they had to.

A large part of what makes it hard to drive a V smoothly is the crappy dual mass flywheel. LS7 is sooooooo much smoother to engage.

RADEoN
05-17-12, 07:07 PM
yeah i knew how to drive a stick before i got my V, but I really learned how to when I bought my car and drove it home a state away.

nvthev
05-17-12, 08:34 PM
I've never let anyone drive me special cars, till now my fiancÚ drives the V very well, she took her daughter and date to the prom last weekend, the car was the hit if the night! And it came back without a scratch! and a clutch!!! Lol

thebigjimsho
05-17-12, 09:37 PM
I only get involved with women who already drive stick.

wut?

odthetruth
05-17-12, 09:49 PM
Espiritu clutch santu.

Praying for your clutch, buddy.

soulja
05-17-12, 11:29 PM
No way I would teach my wife how to drive in my V. I would let her learn on a beater first then drive the V. Good luck with that.:thepan::thepan::thepan::thepan:

mstrjon32
05-18-12, 02:33 AM
I tried to teach the lady to drive manual in the V. We made it about a half a mile before that was over. In her defense, she was actually doing pretty good until another car showed up and she panicked. Also, it was her first time driving manual and her first time driving on the right side of the road, so it may have been a bit much all at once...

We'll try again in a parking lot one day...in a rental.

repenttokyo
05-18-12, 01:20 PM
I taught my ex-gf to drive stick on my old BMW 5 Series. She regularly would drive my V - I felt bad for her because when I first got it, the bushings were shot and the clutch fluid needed to be bled and she got caught a couple times unable to put it in reverse - which happened to me, too. She eventually insisted on a manual car of her own and picked up a WRX. Raced her a couple of times in that, good times.

JoeyZee
05-18-12, 04:22 PM
But, she's never driven a stick and doesn't really seem to understand how and why shifting is necessary.

Why why why, have her learn on something a little less powerful like a truck or something then have her work her way up from there.
Good luck sir, one brave? man.

Faber
05-18-12, 10:25 PM
The wife has refused to drive the V. Too afraid to damage my baby, and I'm fine with that :thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
05-18-12, 10:30 PM
My mother had her Forester XT replaced with a non-turbo Legacy.

So from time to time she'd ask to borrow my V. She loved the sound of the full B&B and the attention.

She has since borrowed my 630hp V2. She really likes that one...

shadybx7
05-18-12, 11:07 PM
the dual mass flywheel was designed for this kind of use.. this car is very hard to stall if you're trying to slip the clutch. drop it and yes it will stall but slip it abruptly, revs drop quick but if you jump on the clutch.. the 46lb dual mass beast will bring the LS back from the dead...

the v is a great car to learn stick on... as long as the owner can tolerate the loss in material on the clutch

thebigjimsho
05-19-12, 03:57 PM
Agreed. The stock dual mass is easier to drive...

pato
05-19-12, 05:43 PM
I'm trying to teach my wife how to drive my V before I replace the stock dual mass clutch in it.
I don't care if she burns it, but she must absolutely have it down by the time the Katech LS9X goes in.
I wish you luck OP!

thefulmonty_07
05-19-12, 09:02 PM
So the fiance and I are getting married in Hilton Head Island, SC next month. We're taking the V on a road trip and I figured it would be a good idea if she knew how to drive my car (just in case anything happened to me - I'm hoping that she won't have to drive it at all).

Pray for me. Pray for my car. Pray for my clutch. Alternatively, avoid any roads that happen to be in our path from KC to HHI throughout June.

Any of you guys have funny stories of teaching your wife/fiance/daughter/neighbor/etc how to drive your V?

First of all congrats!!! I've been trying to teach my wife how to drive the V (she's never driven standard) in empty parking lots in which she does well but still haven't taken out on the streets yet. She is also worried messing up my car but eventually i'm sure she'll get use to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IAtPIr5dvg

mberisha
05-21-12, 10:56 AM
I tried to teach the lady to drive manual in the V. We made it about a half a mile before that was over. In her defense, she was actually doing pretty good until another car showed up and she panicked. Also, it was her first time driving manual and her first time driving on the right side of the road, so it may have been a bit much all at once...

We'll try again in a parking lot one day...in a rental.

You should have had her taken my 318 for a spin...the manual pretty much shifts itself. Even my "'ole lady" was able to get it going after a few stalls. However....being a left hand drive for your girl....may be a whole different story.

perfect
05-21-12, 11:33 AM
I took her out this weekend and showed her the ropes. She did pretty good. A lot of torque makes it a scary car to feather the throttle on. There was nothing gentle about her shifting, but she never missed a gear.

DrSpeed
05-21-12, 01:47 PM
Like what some of the guys said here - she HAS to understand why you need to shift the car. Once she comprehends that, then the physical motor skills of operating a clutch and a shifter is simply motor memory.

50 4Ever
05-21-12, 07:34 PM
I knew that my daughter would one day want to drive the V so I bought her a 2005 CTS 6-speed and taught her on that. We went to a big parking lot and I had her start the car moving with the engine idling, no acelerator at all. Took a while to get the hang of that, then we worked on shifting. When I thought she was ready we drove through the neiborhood practicing stopping and starting without killing it. Then after several days of that we went out in traffic, she did fine on the level but when we were on a little slope that was a different story. She informed me she was ready to take it to school, to which I replied you'll be ready when you can start on a hill without killing it. I said you wouldn't want to kill it in front of your friends would you??? I picked her up from basketball practice the next day and let her drive. Leaving the gym we had to go up a hill and I said STOP, i forgot something. When she stopped I said never mind and she proceeded to kill it because she started out in 2nd. All of her basketball team were watching and she said DAAAAAADY. I loved it, but she never stalled it again.

six months later we went to Bondurant and I had her take Advanced Teenage Driving. The entire 3-day class she drove a V and the instructors were amazed. She shifted faster and smoother than any of the boys in class. She can drive the V any time she wants to, A couple of months ago after taking the V out on a date with her husband she informed me that I should never sell the V, she wants it when I can't drive it any more. But she has never driven the Z06

Here's Chrissy with her V at Bondurant....

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/504ever/05%20CTS-V/v4chrissy.jpg