: Seafoam - do you use it?

weister42
05-17-12, 01:02 PM
Sometimes I put that stuff in the gas tank and crankcase a week or two before an oil change to help clean things up, but I've never tried to put that through the engine's vacuum hose. Which vacuum hose do I use?

ternstes
05-17-12, 01:48 PM
Easiest way is through the brake booster hose. Do not let the engine suck up too much fluid at once, and you may want to change your spark plugs afterwards.

bill buttermore
05-17-12, 02:29 PM
I like the idea of getting the carbon off the valves and out of the intake manifold, but have not done the vacuum line method for fear of all the loosened crud fouling the oxygen sensor(s) and catalytic converter. I have only had enough nerve to put the stuff into the fuel tank for a more gentle (and probably less thorough) cleaning.

vincentm
05-17-12, 02:45 PM
Ill never use that crap on my engine or any engine.

dkozloski
05-17-12, 04:03 PM
What has worked for a good removal of engine carbon for the last 100 years is to spray water from a spray bottle into the engine air intake after removing the air filter. Have the engine running at 1200-1500RPM. Don't spray enough to stall the motor. Black smoke will roll out of the exhaust and then will cease as the engine cleans up.

Big Pip
05-17-12, 04:33 PM
What has worked for a good removal of engine carbon for the last 100 years is to spray water from a spray bottle into the engine air intake after removing the air filter. Have the engine running at 1200-1500RPM. Don't spray enough to stall the motor. Black smoke will roll out of the exhaust and then will cease as the engine cleans up.

I used to use this method on my old race car and it worked, hands down. BUT, after I started using seafoam, it worked better and I have used it in everycar since for the past 8 years. Just pour it down the carb while reving it up. I have seen some drastic changes in some cars with Sea-Foam.

Submariner409
05-17-12, 05:22 PM
I used to use this method on my old race car and it worked, hands down. BUT, after I started using seafoam, it worked better and I have used it in everycar since for the past 8 years. Just pour it down the carb while reving it up. I have seen some drastic changes in some cars with Sea-Foam.

I'll bet you have.........considering the OP's engine is not carbureted: His engine has a runner style intake manifold with a center log feed. The chances of hydrolocking the engine if using the brake booster vacuum line (at the throttlebody) are very, very good. The "cleaner" simply pools in the bottom of the manifold and creates copious amounts of warm, fuzzy smoke, so it MUST be doing something (other than destroying an engine that was good in the first place).

Well marketed snake oil. OK for cleaning lawnmower engine parts.

The picture is of a Northstar intake manifold sitting on the center intake log - that space will easily hold 2 quarts of anything BEFORE any of it ever gets to a cylinder. Be very, very careful; of what you dump into a Northstar. You may pay dearly for the fun......... Just sayin'......

EDIT: Just stuck in another picture of the manifold upside down - the center feedlog is clearer...........

Ranger
05-17-12, 09:00 PM
Ill never use that crap on my engine or any engine.
AMEN!! :worship:

----------

Sometimes I put that stuff in the gas tank and crankcase a week or two before an oil change to help clean things up
What makes you think it needs to be cleaned up?

weister42
05-18-12, 05:51 PM
I donno guys, I wouldn't call Seafoam "snake oil" because it does what it does, now how well does it do what it does varies from person to person but it does seem to get rid of the brown gooy substance (feels like slime) that was on the inner walls of my fuel lines (only noticed it when I changed the FPR). I always change the oil soon after though.

Submariner409
05-18-12, 07:48 PM
If you have "brown gooey substance - slime" on your fuel line walls (???), then you have much larger problems than "Seafoam" can cure.

Ranger
05-18-12, 09:22 PM
I'll drink to that. :alchi:

ThumperPup
05-21-12, 08:56 AM
ill never yous that crapp in my cadillac
now in my old lincolns i used it all the time never had a problem ok not all the time but twice a year every 20k or so
never once had a issue with it

used it in the caddy once and omg she rann like shit she was bitching at me for an entire day almost

N*Caddy
05-22-12, 11:26 PM
17xK Miles, never added into the engine anything but 10W30 regular oil and premium gasoline.

No knock, no squeak, no shake, runs like in the first day.
Why would I put that crap into the engine?

Submariner409
05-23-12, 10:05 AM
61,500 on the STS, 88,000 on one truck, 135,000 on the other - and roughly equivalent mileage on other vehicles back to 1955. Never poured a drop of Snakefoamoil in any of them. I truly wonder how the engines racked up all those miles without a hiccup without using those incredible aftermarket "cleaners" and "performance boosters" ? Just as N*Caddy, the engines never ran anything but the oil and gas recommended for each.