: Question on upcoming cpo purchase

cgunna
05-16-12, 11:44 PM
Love the forum. Reading for months. First post.

I plan on buying a 2010 sedan auto with 31000 miles this weekend. Buying the car as certified from a Cadillac dealer. My question is, should I expect the dealer to have replaced anything on the car before selling it as certified?

Looking at the service record nary a brake pad, tire or any other wear and tear item was touched. The rear tires are clearly worn. Salesman hit me with as long as they have 51% life left they are good to go for a cpo car....

It this right???

Thanks

smackdownCTSV
05-17-12, 12:05 AM
Depends on the options and deal you're getting.

TriTexan
05-17-12, 09:26 AM
Looking at the service record nary a brake pad, tire or any other wear and tear item was touched.

Then just negotiate accordingly. If you know at 40k or 50k some significant wear items will come up, then you need to factor that into the price. And I'm shocked if the original PS2's are still on the car at 31k and have at least 51% wear left. Those tires were either driven by granny to and from the mailbox or someone isn't giving you the full scoop. The tires were probably changed somewhere else, and perhaps other items. The service record at the dealer might not be telling you the full scoop...

dcc8203
05-17-12, 09:53 AM
Make sure the car has the stock tune on it.

There was a thread around here recently where someone bought a CPO V. Within a few thousand miles the engine cratered. Upon review, the dealer determined the engine had been tuned and denied the claim.

The new buyer had not tuned the car and assumed that under the CPO process the tune was checked. It was not/is not checked.

He ended up getting it covered, IIRC, but had to go as far as hiring an attorney.

DiamondWhtV
05-17-12, 10:13 AM
Tires had to have been replaced. There is no way that the original PS2 will have 51% at 31,000.

But that wouldn't be a big deal anyway.

If the price is right, go for it. A used car is a used car. The only thing I would be interested in would be any kind of body work or damage when it comes to buying a low mileage used vehicle. Mechanically ,the CPO will cover it.

BTW the only thing done on my 2010 sedan was tires and a front wheel bearing at 22k and I have 33k now. So I doubt it has had anything done to it except normal maintenance work.

M5eater
05-17-12, 10:34 AM
unless it was tracked I wouldn't be concerned about any maintiance
and it's easy to check that.. ask the dealer to pop a wheel off and check pad thickness, on brembos it's incredibly easy to take a peak.

besides oil the earliest interval is the air filter at 50k, the severe service schedule has diff/auto trans oil changes at 50k too

rotors,pads,plugs ect are all rated for 100k

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-17-12, 10:36 AM
Glad you're posting, cgunna! Each CPO Cadillac must pass the rigorous 172-Point Inspection and Reconditioning process. To ensure quality, your sedan should have received an all-inclusive check of vehicle systems and equipment, including under-hood inspection, under-vehicle inspection, all scheduled maintenance performed, a road test, and a vehicle history report. For more 172-Point Inspection details, check out the CPO section of Cadillac's website at http://www.cadillac.com/certified-pre-owned-vehicles/172-point-inspection.html. (http://www.cadillac.com/certified-pre-owned-vehicles/172-point-inspection.html)

Feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you ever want me to investigate questions on your behalf.

Thank you for considering Cadillac!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

smackdownCTSV
05-17-12, 12:05 PM
The service records don't always report everything. I've been to the dealer at least 10 times, yet carfax doesn't show anything. And the GMVIS only shows half of my visits to the dealer. Also, check the DOT on the tires and you'll see the week/month and year. Original tires would end with 09 or be early 10. Anything after that and sure enough they've been changed. The tires are usually good for 20K, so that sounds about right if they changed then.

cgunna
05-17-12, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all the replies!!

Some good advice given on taking a peek at the brembo pads. Regarding the tires, it was more of a question of how hard to press it in the negotiating process. Price paid will be about 48k. Optioned with recaros, suede, ultraview. 31K miles.

And yeah...dealer service records...they are what they are I guess.....

Thanks again.

----------

Make sure the car has the stock tune on it.

There was a thread around here recently where someone bought a CPO V. Within a few thousand miles the engine cratered. Upon review, the dealer determined the engine had been tuned and denied the claim.

The new buyer had not tuned the car and assumed that under the CPO process the tune was checked. It was not/is not checked.

He ended up getting it covered, IIRC, but had to go as far as hiring an attorney.

From the link Katie posted...
INVESTIGATE VEHICLE HISTORY

1. Confirm vehicle is still covered by its original factory warranty

2. Owner’s manual/warranty booklet present

3. Review GM vehicle history

4. Examine the vehicle history report

5. Scan for vehicle trouble codes

6. Insure the vehicle is free of any aftermarket modifications like body/chassis lift kits, engine performance chips
7. Validate the vehicle is a good candidate to be certified"

" wouldn't #6 take care of that??

smackdownCTSV
05-17-12, 02:41 PM
Scroll up and you'll see the CPO is kind of BS. Buy it for the warranty, not the "inspection" done. The pads are easy to check, just look at the wear pins. There should be at least 7mm of meat on it. Final point, I wouldn't pay more than $45K for it considering the "wear" on the car that you're saying and the sort of high mileage. I have a 2010 loaded and dealers offered me only $43K-$44K, so with the higher mileage, they only gave $40K, pretty much making $8K.

Thunder Gray STS
05-17-12, 09:36 PM
Make sure you get a Carfax, at least for any body damage that was significant enough for an insurance claim. I have been through this with a CPO'd STS-V that had been previously wrecked, very messy deal. They are not allowed to CPO a car that doesn't have a clean accident history, but evidently nobody checks on the back end to see if that is actually the case. It is up to the dealer to be honest about it I suppose. Fortunately, the dealer made it right for me, which is why I am now in a CTS-V.