: How to update Navigation

06WhiteDiamond
05-16-12, 12:22 PM
Good afternoon folks,

I just received a new navigation disc for my 2006 Cadillac STS4 and was wondering how i can go about updating to this new disc. I tried inserting the new nav disc in the nav disc slot but the navigation screen simply reads "Please insert Map disc" even though it is already inserted. Is their some sort of process to go through for updating the maps? I have searched the forums and looked online along with reading the nagivation manual and i just can't seem to figure this out. I would really appreciate the help, below i have listed some information that may or may not help.

Current Navigation disc: Version 5.00 (GM p/n 25976806U)
Update Nagivation disc: Version 8.00 (GM p/n 22820294)

I just checked the www.gmnavdisck.com website and the update navigation disc listed above is not compatible with my 2006 sts4, i received the disc from a friend who own an identical 2007 sts4. I thought all nav disc where compatible through the STS line up? Can anyone chime in on this?

RippyPartsDept
05-16-12, 12:39 PM
hmmm... if the disc worked for your friend then it should work for you... are you sure his is also a 2006 not a 2007?

you could call the navdisc center and ask them for help ... sometimes they will help out (although if you didn't buy it from them they might not) but it might be worth a try

06WhiteDiamond
05-16-12, 12:48 PM
Did some digging around on the forums and found a thread that is very interesting, it seems that in order for 2005-2006 cadillac STS's to use the 2012 navigation disc their needs to be iether a navigation firmware update or a bluetooth software update. Read through the thread below for some more information on this.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/251622-2012-navigation-disc.html

RippyPartsDept
05-16-12, 01:24 PM
Sounds like you need the update done ... call your dealer and ask if they have that STS nav/bluetooth update disc

06WhiteDiamond
05-16-12, 01:39 PM
Sounds like you need the update done ... call your dealer and ask if they have that STS nav/bluetooth update disc

Thanks for the information Rippy, I work at Cadillac dealer and have been running around all day trying to figure out how to perform this update. Rippy are you sure this is an update disc? or just a software update that can be done with an MPI?

RippyPartsDept
05-16-12, 02:09 PM
Well it's two update discs (actually CDs) ... not sure why since there's only about 34MB or so on each one

navdisc center apparently is no longer providing them and dealers are supposed to have got them way back when the TSB/bulletin was fresh (we got two i think)

the TSB # is 05-08-126-001

that has the info on how to update and how to get the disc and what part number it is

06WhiteDiamond
05-16-12, 03:02 PM
Well it's two update discs (actually CDs) ... not sure why since there's only about 34MB or so on each one

navdisc center apparently is no longer providing them and dealers are supposed to have got them way back when the TSB/bulletin was fresh (we got two i think)

the TSB # is 05-08-126-001

that has the info on how to update and how to get the disc and what part number it is

Thanks for all the help Rippy, Called the GM navigation disc centre (1-877-628-3472) using my dealer code and had them send one out free of charge. Should be arriving tomorrow at which point i will be performing this TSB.
I have also attached the TSB in a .pdf for future reference for guys like me.

RippyPartsDept
05-16-12, 03:41 PM
cool... i had heard that they weren't sending them out anymore... good info!

:thumbsup:

EChas3
05-16-12, 09:27 PM
I knew of of many benefits of the Nav upgrade but I didn't know it was also a prerequisite to using the newer disks, It's nice to hear the upgrade is still available.

RippyPartsDept
05-17-12, 08:25 AM
Yeah, this is the first i'm hearing of this also, but it kind of makes sense ... and stranger things have happened

06WhiteDiamond
05-17-12, 09:16 AM
Eagerly waiting for the update disc to arrive.

zek4964
05-18-12, 07:26 AM
Would this apply to an 08 that was built in 07? Not sure if mine was but thought I would ask.

06WhiteDiamond
05-18-12, 10:19 AM
Would this apply to an 08 that was built in 07? Not sure if mine was but thought I would ask.

I don't think so but you should most certainly confirm this with a dealer or somebody with a bit more knowledge.

On another note i just recieved the update disc(s) in the mail and will be performing this update on lunch, will keep you all posted on how the update went.