: Transmission Problem?

airlandsea
05-16-12, 12:02 PM
When accelerating the vehicle at slow speed and then releasing the pedal, a loud and rough clunk is sometimes heard coasting through 18 MPH as the transmission shifts to the next higher gear. The vehicle also is rough shifting from reverse to drive, with a 3 second delay and then a clunk and forward jerk. This problem seems to be intermittent and the dealer has not been able to duplicate when I bring the vehicle in for service. This is starting to get real frustrating knowing there is a problem but the dealer says nothing found. Dealer said engine mounts are fine. Anyone out there with similar symptoms? 2008 ESV AWD

Thanks

48Dodge
05-16-12, 12:19 PM
When accelerating the vehicle at slow speed and then releasing the pedal, a loud and rough clunk is sometimes heard passing coasting through 18 MPH. The vehicle also is rough shifting from reverse to drive, with a clunk and forward jerk. This problem is seems to be intermittent and the dealer had not been able to duplicate when I bring the vehicle in for service. This is starting to get real frustrating knowing there is a problem but the dealer says nothing found. Dealer said engine mounts are fine. Anyone out there with similar symptoms? 2008 ESV

Thanks

Same year and model. I haven't been able to figure out how to do it so I can duplicate it for the dealer. Of course, the 2 times I brought it in it shifted smooth as silk.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-16-12, 12:52 PM
Very sorry to hear this, both of you! I can completely understand how frustrating it would be to not be able to have the noises duplicated. I'm always happy to locate alternative dealerships on your behalf or investigate further for you, so please feel free to private message or email (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com) me anytime!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

toygar
05-16-12, 01:29 PM
i test drove an awd 2007 that seemed to have the same thing,
asked the dealers service manager and he said since it is an all wheel drive the transfer case might do it.
didn't like that and didn't care for awd so got an 2wd 2 days later.

packman01
05-16-12, 01:30 PM
i had the same problem with my 07 ext, the dealer said it needed some tranny /engine up dates and tps sensor.and all good now..their is still a small "clunk" but if you concider all the univerals in the drive line and being AWD some small play in them, all together can cause a "clunk" as well.

GM-4-LIFE
05-16-12, 02:42 PM
Sounds like the driveshaft speeds up and then clunks while releasing power before slowing down. This is normal on all RWD cars. AWD cars will do it as well.

Rustico
05-16-12, 03:07 PM
I heard there is a TSB on this and the culprit is the driveshaft. My 07 esv does this exact same thing and I have a new transmission

hcvone
05-16-12, 04:34 PM
Many 07's and some newer trucks too needed to have the trans program updated, I just had it do on the 07' we picked up and it made a big difference, but some dealerships are clueless and do not seem to want to check, maybe try another dealership if that is an option

bstiffmanofsteel
05-16-12, 07:23 PM
I had a similar issue last summer it was the internal mode switch.

steffy628
05-17-12, 08:10 PM
Mine has been at the dealer for over a week for this same complaint. I don't have a breakdown yet of exactly what they are doing, but I know that the differential is being serviced. Hopefully this will take care of the problem.

airlandsea
05-17-12, 08:44 PM
Mine has been at the dealer for over a week for this same complaint. I don't have a breakdown yet of exactly what they are doing, but I know that the differential is being serviced. Hopefully this will take care of the problem.

Thanks. I'd appreciate if you keep me posted on the outcome. I am taking my vehicle in to the dealer next week for another try.

----------

I had a similar issue last summer it was the internal mode switch.

Mode witch for the transmission?

----------

Sounds like the driveshaft speeds up and then clunks while releasing power before slowing down. This is normal on all RWD cars. AWD cars will do it as well.

That may be true to some degree, but the problem I am having can't be normal or nobody would buy these Escalades, it's that bad. Feels and sounds like the engine is going to drop right out the bottom.

----------

Very sorry to hear this, both of you! I can completely understand how frustrating it would be to not be able to have the noises duplicated. I'm always happy to locate alternative dealerships on your behalf or investigate further for you, so please feel free to private message or email (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com) me anytime!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

I appreciate the help, but I don't understand why my current dealer is not able to diagnose the problem without duplicating on test drive. I would assume there is plenty of Cadillac service information for them to reference for this common problem.

steffy628
05-19-12, 09:33 PM
Still haven't got mine back yet...dealer fixed the differential, but on the last test drive...the clunk was still there. They discovered a bad motor mount and have ordered that too. I should have it back Tuesday. Thank the good Lord for the CPO warranty...I'd hate to see what this bill is going to end up costing GM.