: Best Source for Rotor to Hub screws/bolts? GM 11570339

PJGross
05-16-12, 09:57 AM
Replacing rotors, but my current rotor to hub bolts will be FUBAR'd upon removal. Though it may not be necessary, I want to put new ones back in when re-assembling.

These were not readily available around the GM dealers in Detroit, so last Friday I ordered them from GMPartsGiant . com thinking I would get them this week. This morning I just got a backorder email from them.

Anyone know of anyone that stocks these? I will stop in at Autozone/Oreilleys/ etc but doubt they'll have them.

I have a nice new set of Centric 125 Cryo'd rotors waiting for install but no "nuts" as the GM parts catalog refers to them. :)

-PJ

mstrjon32
05-16-12, 11:00 AM
It's worth calling Luke @ Lindsay Cadillac if you really want them, but IMO, you'd be fine installing them without.

PJGross
05-16-12, 01:25 PM
^^I've only really seen them used previously on cars that have lug bolts, and sometimes even those don't have the set screw. (My wife's old Audi was a pain because of this)
You're right, I probably don't need it. I doubt once the lug nuts are snugged that tiny set screw does anything. I was just trying to keep it somewhat OE and because I didn't know the intent of it, figured I would keep it.

Judging from the wide variety of years that take the same screw and the general lack of anyone having it in stock, I'm guessing that no one ever puts these things back in. :)

I guess I can just put on the new rotors without them, then in the fall when the winter wheels go on, put the little screw back.

-PJ

CTSV_510
05-16-12, 01:32 PM
I drilled those out because the torx head stripped. Or my torx driver stripped, I forget exactly. As long as the lug nuts stay tight there are no issues.

mstrjon32
05-16-12, 02:57 PM
It's just there to keep the brake rotor in place as you install the caliper. You can have a friend hold it in place, if it makes it easier. Many other (cheaper?) designs have a push-on retainer they use during assembly at the factory, that you pull off and throw away if you need to replace the rotors. As you said, the rotor is held in place by the lug bolts.

Also, since you brought it up, whoever came up with that lug bolt idea is a real hole. Terrible.