: Top 3 Must-Have Upgrades/Mods

spfulfill
05-16-12, 08:54 AM
I'm seeing a lot of things that can be done with the Escalade, but I'm wondering what everyone says their top 3 "must-haves" mods are. I'm looking for some "no brainers", nothing that costs a thousands of dollars, etc. Looking for electronic (lockpick sounds kinda cool) and engine/performance (is there a performance computer chip?) ideas.

hcvone
05-16-12, 09:30 AM
I'm seeing a lot of things that can be done with the Escalade, but I'm wondering what everyone says their top 3 "must-haves" mods are. I'm looking for some "no brainers", nothing that costs a thousands of dollars, etc. Looking for electronic (lockpick sounds kinda cool) and engine/performance (is there a performance computer chip?) ideas.

My first thing is tinting the side windows to match the truck, but Hotchkis sway bars for me are a must, LED interior and exterior, got to change the exhaust when I add long tube headers, then it's time for a tune, either dyno tune, or Preditor tuner, the hand held units are nice because you can go back to stock. I would suggest looking into clear bra as well, great protection for rocks and debris, then there are brakes and wheels and the madness never stops. :)

48Dodge
05-16-12, 12:00 PM
I'd have to say exterior leds are a must. Now when I see incandescent bulbs on other Escalades they look out of place to me. I've enjoyed my hid fog lights as well. Bluetooth vcim is another must have for those of us with older years.

48Dodge
05-16-12, 12:03 PM
Oh another "must do" for everyone that bought used is clean the throttle body and MAF. They can hamper performance probably more than any upgrade will help

spfulfill
05-16-12, 01:02 PM
When you guys are talking about the "exterior LEDs", what exactly are you referring to and how much does that cost? I have the '10 Platinum, so I have the LED headlights, but maybe this is something different?

48Dodge
05-16-12, 01:17 PM
When you guys are talking about the "exterior LEDs", what exactly are you referring to and how much does that cost? I have the '10 Platinum, so I have the LED headlights, but maybe this is something different?

Then you're set on the front end unless you want to do the turn signals (something I haven't done yet). The only other bulbs you can replace would be the courtesy lights in the mirrors, reverse lights and license plate lights. Fog lights can be replaced with LEDs, but I'm not sure how the brightness compares to incandescent, and I know it won't be nearly as bright as HIDs. I have read that people have been pleased with the light output, though. I went with 5K all around the outside, tried a few 6k but they looked way too blue to me.

Rustico
05-16-12, 04:10 PM
I like the contrast between the orangy incandescent candle day time running lamps and foglamps when compared to the hid headlights. It is a great mix of old and new. I also like the look of the interior courtesy lights not being led.

hcvone
05-16-12, 05:30 PM
With the platinum you need to only do the backup lights, license plate lights, puddle lights, fog lights, I didn't do my front turn signals because it was not worth it, they are not on enough

joeyrocks
05-16-12, 10:12 PM
What does everyone recommend as the best tune for this car? Id like to see a little more power and maybe a slight increase in mpg... Most of these handheld programmers claim this.

K9Caddy
05-18-12, 10:34 AM
I'm DONE with Diablosport for hand held tuners. Waiting on TCM support for their new intune seems to be never ending, and i'm not going to shell out $600 for a trinity. I'll be going the 'Blackbear Performace' route. Using an EFI Live handheld and being able to return to stock OEM settings at will. Full TCM support to boot as well...

48Dodge
05-18-12, 10:42 AM
I'm DONE with Diablosport for hand held tuners. Waiting on TCM support for their new intune seems to be never ending, and i'm not going to shell out $600 for a trinity. I'll be going the 'Blackbear Performace' route. Using an EFI Live handheld and being able to return to stock OEM settings at will. Full TCM support to boot as well...

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on blackbear. Haven't heard any first hand reports on it for this model. Tons of positive reviews for other models. If I do a tune Blackbear is most likely what I'd do. I just added a volant intake. Waiting on the cold air tube. Seat of the pants feels like a noticeable increase in power

hcvone
05-18-12, 11:05 AM

Can't understand the hold up with the Intune, the trans program works great, oh yea I am not suppose to say anything. :eek:

K9Caddy
05-18-12, 12:10 PM
Diablo can stick it... Done spending money on their canned tunes and their deceptive practices(waiting games/promises).

----------

48dodge-

Blackbear is well known for custom tunes on the 6.2 liter, they are all over forums. EFI Live is just the tuner/logger needed for the tune and to change parameters.

felixgun
05-19-12, 08:25 AM
I'd have to say exterior leds are a must. Now when I see incandescent bulbs on other Escalades they look out of place to me. I've enjoyed my hid fog lights as well. Bluetooth vcim is another must have for those of us with older years.

I agree the exterior LED's look great. I have them on both my esky and avalanche and love them. I have an HID kit in my fog lights and one just went out which kind of sucks considering I rarely had them on and one is out already!! I don't recommend having the LED's in the interior though as it's not really a "warm" light. I had done a full swap of the interior and exterior but took the interior ones out because it just looks a little "off" looking in the vanities with those white LED's...

----------

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on blackbear. Haven't heard any first hand reports on it for this model. Tons of positive reviews for other models. If I do a tune Blackbear is most likely what I'd do. I just added a volant intake. Waiting on the cold air tube. Seat of the pants feels like a noticeable increase in power

I had an 08 Tahoe LTZ that was blackbear tuned. Ran it with an Airaid CAI and magnaflow muffler and it made a huge difference. It's definitely worth the money and I will probably tune my escalade with it too.

48Dodge
05-19-12, 09:18 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about blackbear and almost did one of the tune options on my Tahoe. I know other 6.2 owners love it, just don't know anyone with a new model Escalade that has it.

felixgun
05-19-12, 11:36 PM
It's probably the best custom tune out for these GMT900 vehicles. I definitely recommend it!

murphy
05-19-12, 11:50 PM
For me..
1) radar detector / laser interceptor jammer
2) iphone cradle/charger
3) 3m protective filming

MrHolland
05-20-12, 12:02 AM
3M paint protection (film)
Window tint
Rugs

murphy
05-20-12, 12:13 AM
mrh...rugs ? :) rugs ? :).......... as in floor mats ? :)...or Persian :) :)

MrHolland
05-20-12, 12:29 AM
Only the best for my feet sir!!

murphy
05-20-12, 12:31 AM
Absolutely rightfully so...you deserve the best !! :)

felixgun
05-20-12, 08:47 PM
For me..
1) radar detector / laser interceptor jammer
2) iphone cradle/charger
3) 3m protective filming

3m protective filming? What's that for?

murphy
05-20-12, 08:51 PM
3m protective filming? What's that for?

To try to avoid the nasty road rash :(..hood, bumper, mirrors, lights, fog lights, rocker panels, a pillars.. be safe...wear protection :)

mbdubb2361
05-20-12, 09:39 PM
I did a K&N cold air intake, window tinting. Planning on clear bra, muffler, and lights.

CStradling24
05-20-12, 10:02 PM
L.E.D. Outside lights with HID fogs, tinted windows to match the back, GMX550 (buggy as it is...), and Bluetooth VCIM. It's four things I know but all worth it. Number 5 would be a second battery with cutoff switch.

PB Escalade
05-21-12, 03:22 AM
Where can I buy all the led lights for my 09 escalade and what specific part #s do I need. I think I saw it on the form somewhere but can't seem to find it again. Thanks for the help.

joeyrocks
05-21-12, 09:12 AM
Where can I buy all the led lights for my 09 escalade and what specific part #s do I need. I think I saw it on the form somewhere but can't seem to find it again. Thanks for the help.

+1..

murphy
05-21-12, 01:16 PM
Search Hcvone posts..he listed all Vled numbers..Get the LEDs from VLED..likely the most expensive and best.

escalade ESV muskoka
05-22-12, 08:26 AM
I have tinted the Windows, mbrp cat back stainless exhaust, and ordered 26 wheels.

jesset101
05-23-12, 10:15 PM
Front to back Husky Liners were also a must for me. Really like the third row mat with cutouts for the 3rd row seats!!! A MUST IF YOU HAVE KIDS!!!

mbdubb2361
05-26-12, 07:08 PM
Front to back Husky Liners were also a must for me. Really like the third row mat with cutouts for the 3rd row seats!!! A MUST IF YOU HAVE KIDS!!!

Where can you get one of those mats?