: 1 month later with 2012 Escalade Hybrid and 1500 miles, ruptured trans cooler line...

GM-4-LIFE
05-15-12, 02:09 AM
On May 9, exactly one month to the day after taking delivery of our new 2012 Escalade Hybrid, my wife was driving and she noticed a lot of smoke coming from underneath the car and tons of transmission fluid gushing out from under the car. Needless to say the car died on her since there was no more transmission fluid left in the transmission. It was 96 degrees outside and she was stranded. She called Roadside which came about 30 minutes later and towed the car to the nearest dealership (Keyes Cadillac, Woodland Hills, CA). Turns out one of the rubber main transmission cooler lines cracked open and drenched the entire undercarriage of the car as well as the engine bay. I mean, ATF EVERYWHERE! Dealership replaced the lines which wasn't a small job. They had to spend a few hours just cleaning the underside of the car. You would think that they would have used stainless steel braided hoses to prevent something like this happening.

Anyone else ever have the same issue with their Hybrid? Two different Cadillac dealerships are telling me this is the first Hybrid they have ever seen with ANY issue.

Here are some pics:

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/DRVTWIN/769f85a0.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/DRVTWIN/444da3af.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/DRVTWIN/2b091ff2.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/DRVTWIN/0f1a4857.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/DRVTWIN/991e6543.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/DRVTWIN/87b14df0.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/DRVTWIN/fe588f62.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/DRVTWIN/60b94404.jpg

hcvone
05-15-12, 07:35 AM
We have seen battery issues, one customer had the batteries replaced at least once, and it maybe twice. No trans issues, we see rubber lines on 20 year old cars that need replacing, but not on new ones, I would guess that the trans got real hot and broke the riubber line, or just a bad piece of rubber hose. I would be more concerned about having synthetic trans fluid sitting on your paint and causing paint damage, have the truck looked over real good, if there are paint issues from the fluid I would want a new truck.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-15-12, 10:33 AM
I am so sorry to hear that, CTS-V-TWIN! We definitely would not want any customer to experience what you have described, so let me take a minute to apologize to you and your wife on behalf of Cadillac for that experience. Is your Escalade home from the dealership now?

I have documented this concern (including the URL), and please contact me anytime via private message if you'd like me to follow-up further on any issues for you!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

GM-4-LIFE
05-15-12, 01:03 PM
My wife is picking up the car today. It was at the dealership for almost a week. The tailgate and rear glass were covered in ATF as well as the engine bay and under side of the car. We are not happy at all. This is our 7th Escalade in a row! Yes! That's right! 7TH Escalade and we never had any problems with any of them until now. We have had a new Escalade almost every year since 2005. We love them, but now, we are worried as to what may happen with the trans cooler lines or the transmission being that it ran with almost no ATF in almost 100 degree weather.

We may want to have the vehicle replaced with a new Hybrid only because we don't know how much damage the ATF would cause getting into safety components like the brakes and suspension which it did. Dealership documented how much fluid they had to clean and from specific locations. My wife drives the car with our 3 kids all the time and I don't want anything to happen to them should that ATF cause any issues to other parts of the car.

The technician working on the car was surprised that the car didn't catch fire and go up in flames as there was so much ATF under the car and very close to the huge catalytic converter. What if my wife was in the car with my 3 young children, two of whom are strapped in car seats? Once a car catches fire, how long do you think it would take a female to get all kids out safely? This could have been a very tragic incident.

I am also really surprised the GM district rep didn't get called out to come and look at the car. This is not normal on a new Escalade and shouldn't happen on a $76K car.

What do you propose we do now, Katie, on a brand new car? I really think GM should step up and replace the vehicle ASAP being that it is so new. This is our 27th or 28th new GM vehicle in a row. We don't buy anything, but GM vehicles. We are very loyal GM customers. If my wife gets fed up enough, she will start looking at other makes of vehicles.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-15-12, 04:29 PM
I can appreciate your frustrations, CTS-V-TWIN. I would be happy to set up an official case for you, so please send me a private message at your convenience with a few details to help me document (full name/VIN/address/phone/mileage/involved dealership). Let’s see what options are available to you, and I thank you for giving Cadillac the opportunity to assist!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

GM-4-LIFE
05-15-12, 05:17 PM
Katie,

I just sent you a PM with all the details you need.

I would like to get this resolved as quickly as possible. We don't feel safe staying with this vehicle.

Thanks!

GM-4-LIFE
05-18-12, 06:17 PM
Katie,

Any word on this? You were going to setup a case file on my issue, so we could see what options were available.

I never heard back from you on this.

Please advise me on this.

Thanks!

evois
05-18-12, 09:45 PM
On May 9, exactly one month to the day after taking delivery of our new 2012 Escalade Hybrid, my wife was driving and she noticed a lot of smoke coming from underneath the car and tons of transmission fluid gushing out from under the car. Needless to say the car died on her since there was no more transmission fluid left in the transmission. It was 96 degrees outside and she was stranded. She called Roadside which came about 30 minutes later and towed the car to the nearest dealership (Keyes Cadillac, Woodland Hills, CA). Turns out one of the rubber main transmission cooler lines cracked open and drenched the entire undercarriage of the car as well as the engine bay. I mean, ATF EVERYWHERE! Dealership replaced the lines which wasn't a small job. They had to spend a few hours just cleaning the underside of the car. You would think that they would have used stainless steel braided hoses to prevent something like this happening.

Anyone else ever have the same issue with their Hybrid? Two different Cadillac dealerships are telling me this is the first Hybrid they have ever seen with ANY issue.

Here are some pics:

Sorry to hear that. I have a 2009 that I bought new way back in august 2009 and it has been very reliable. It now has 95175 miles on the clock and gives a reliable 19-20 mpg either in 2wd or 4wd auto settings. It could just be a failed connection in the manufacturing. It is unheard of in the gm hybrid forums(green hybrid.com).

GM-4-LIFE
05-18-12, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess that makes me feel a bit better. I guess it is maybe a one time deal on a weak hose. I just think that on a brand new car, this should have never happened regardless. My wife doesn't feel safe taking the car long distance in case it should happen again. Maybe, I should have posted this thread on greenhybrid., to see if anyone there has had the same issues. There aren't many hybrid Escalade owners on this forum.

We feel that GM should step up and replace the car, but so far, I haven't heard anything at all from Cadillac.

hannity
05-19-12, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess that makes me feel a bit better. I guess it is maybe a one time deal on a weak hose. I just think that on a brand new car, this should have never happened regardless. My wife doesn't feel safe taking the car long distance in case it should happen again. Maybe, I should have posted this thread on greenhybrid., to see if anyone there has had the same issues. There aren't many hybrid Escalade owners on this forum.

We feel that GM should step up and replace the car, but so far, I haven't heard anything at all from Cadillac.

I laughed so hard my I started choking on my coffee. Soon as my wife came running in the den I showed her what I was looking at and she gave me that look. Knowing the heartache and hassle I went through with my platinum. Hell will freeze over, Aliens will come from another planet and live among us and Jimmy Hoffa's body will be found before gm steps up.

cadmanchris
05-19-12, 01:24 PM
Are you serious Hannity? You are laughing at someone's unfortunate incident? I WILL see that you are banned from this forum. Go play on the Range Rover forums.

evois
05-19-12, 07:14 PM
Which range rover forum? If it is the range rovers.net then I will be on the lookout! Anyway, like he said, gm will not replace the car unless they are not able to fix that. As for long drives, my 2009 hybrid got so much miles because we did just that drove it long distances. We saw it trekking to NOLA when we first got it, then a month later went to Toronto Ontario in one weekend travel. It made treks to CT, South FL, Chicago, Sacramento and stop in las Vegas each time every year since I got it. So, I would say it is a very reliable vehicle. The only problem I got is the nav disk error which the dealer updated the software and replaced the whole nav/ radio under gmpp major guard at 95000 miles. Average mileage in the city-19-20 mpg. Highway-25 mpg. Even my loaner SRX could only put 18 mpg city.

bigtone1013
05-20-12, 02:07 PM
Doubt that any company would replace the vehicle if the problem could be fixed. I think you shouldn't worry about driving distances it should be fine.

GM-4-LIFE
05-21-12, 07:08 PM
We will see. A case is being filed with Cadillac as we speak and I will keep everyone up to date as to the outcome of our situation.

hcvone
05-22-12, 07:55 AM
I laughed so hard my I started choking on my coffee. Soon as my wife came running in the den I showed her what I was looking at and she gave me that look. Knowing the heartache and hassle I went through with my platinum. Hell will freeze over, Aliens will come from another planet and live among us and Jimmy Hoffa's body will be found before gm steps up.

That's bullshit, when I had an issue GM replaced my truck very quickly. GO AWAY :)

ELUSIVE
05-22-12, 09:40 PM

I don't understand why you are still here.
You sold your Escalade and moved on. All of your posts are irritating and unwanted.

I will admit that I have been critical of Cadillac at times. I do feel that they need to improve their interiors with higher quality parts and to offer more features in line with their competitors, but I love my Escalade for what it is and don't see myself getting ride of it anytime soon.

I'm sorry CTS-V TWIN for the problems you've been having and I hope things work out for you.

felixgun
05-23-12, 07:21 AM
I don't understand why you are still here.
You sold your Escalade and moved on. All of your posts are irritating and unwanted.

I will admit that I have been critical of Cadillac at times. I do feel that they need to improve their interiors with higher quality parts and to offer more features in line with their competitors, but I love my Escalade for what it is and don't see myself getting ride of it anytime soon.

I'm sorry CTS-V TWIN for the problems you've been having and I hope things work out for you.

I agree 100% with this. Hannity's posts are ****ing irritating and non-helpful. OP is expressing the trouble he is having with his Escalade and THAT's what Hannity has to say??? Really???

cadmanchris
05-23-12, 10:05 PM
My thoughts exactly. Go away!!

RxDetective
08-02-12, 04:38 PM
I have an Escalade Hybrid and have had no problems except to minor common problems, but the vehicle is built fantastic and given no mechanical problems. I cant see Cadillac or any vehicle manufacturer replacing a vehicle due to a broken hose. That's why they give you a warranty. It is a shame that happened on such a new vehicle but maybe a rock hit it or a small animal such as a squirrel chewed the hose. The vehicle is reliable as you will see.

DG2
08-02-12, 05:44 PM
My wife is picking up the car today. It was at the dealership for almost a week. The tailgate and rear glass were covered in ATF as well as the engine bay and under side of the car. We are not happy at all. This is our 7th Escalade in a row! Yes! That's right! 7TH Escalade and we never had any problems with any of them until now. We have had a new Escalade almost every year since 2005. We love them, but now, we are worried as to what may happen with the trans cooler lines or the transmission being that it ran with almost no ATF in almost 100 degree weather.

We may want to have the vehicle replaced with a new Hybrid only because we don't know how much damage the ATF would cause getting into safety components like the brakes and suspension which it did. Dealership documented how much fluid they had to clean and from specific locations. My wife drives the car with our 3 kids all the time and I don't want anything to happen to them should that ATF cause any issues to other parts of the car.

The technician working on the car was surprised that the car didn't catch fire and go up in flames as there was so much ATF under the car and very close to the huge catalytic converter. What if my wife was in the car with my 3 young children, two of whom are strapped in car seats? Once a car catches fire, how long do you think it would take a female to get all kids out safely? This could have been a very tragic incident.

I am also really surprised the GM district rep didn't get called out to come and look at the car. This is not normal on a new Escalade and shouldn't happen on a $76K car.

What do you propose we do now, Katie, on a brand new car? I really think GM should step up and replace the vehicle ASAP being that it is so new. This is our 27th or 28th new GM vehicle in a row. We don't buy anything, but GM vehicles. We are very loyal GM customers. If my wife gets fed up enough, she will start looking at other makes of vehicles.

If you purchased 7 Escalades in 7 years this should be a "no brainier " to trade in now for a new one and gave your dealer make it an even swap. Highly unusual problem but while rare anything can go wrong with any brand of car.

DG2
08-02-12, 05:50 PM
CTS V. Did you ask your dealer to trade in for a new one.?

the blur
08-04-12, 10:53 PM
BFD. you had a defective tranny line. the line was damaged during installation or had a weak spot, and it failed. they fixed it, move on in life. tranny fluid does nothing to paint.

DG2
08-05-12, 12:51 AM
BFD. you had a defective tranny line. the line was damaged during installation or had a weak spot, and it failed. they fixed it, move on in life. tranny fluid does nothing to paint.

Let's get real. If CTS V Twin really purchased 7 Escalades from the same dealer over the past 7 years (?) , then this dealer should if CTS V wants work out an amicable trade for a new one.. Why risk losing a great customer for such an odd problem.

the blur
08-05-12, 12:54 AM
get real. the odd problem is SOLVED, and gone. your making a federal case out of nothing.

DG2
08-05-12, 01:03 AM
It's not my car or yours but it's only solved if CTS V feels good about it. Yes , fixed under warranty no doubt. However, if I dropped $500,000 at the same dealer in just 7 years and was ticked about my wife getting stuck in the brand new Escalade I would honor the request of this customer who will drop another $500 k in years to come.