: Coil Pack failures

Waterplay
05-14-12, 06:17 PM
My wife's 07 Escalade with 116k km on it went into the shop with a terrible misfire and "service stabilitrac" (or something to that effect) showing up, as well as the SEL on.

The dealer just called to advise that 2 coil packs had failed, and a further 2 were on their way out.

I have a couple of questions for the gurus here.... I did a search on the forum here but didn't come up with any results for this occurrence on an Escalade. Is it common?

Second, the dealer advised that the traction control/service stabilitrac is usually as a result of the other failures and should reset after replacing the coil packs. Does this sound correct?

Thank you in advance for any input, I am just a little out of my league with these items and Google is only coming up with a couple of random incidents.

hcvone
05-14-12, 07:05 PM
Your traction control may have been activated because of the way your truck was running because of the coil packs and caused the light to come on. We have not seen many fail and have several customers with over 100k miles

Waterplay
05-14-12, 07:37 PM
Thanks hcvone for the response, it does make me wonder though, what would cause the failures.

We have recently within the last couple of months bought a third vehicle, so it has been sitting for a few weeks at a time not being driven. Any chance this might be a contributing factor?

hcvone
05-15-12, 07:44 AM
Thanks hcvone for the response, it does make me wonder though, what would cause the failures.

We have recently within the last couple of months bought a third vehicle, so it has been sitting for a few weeks at a time not being driven. Any chance this might be a contributing factor?
That should not be an issue, I have a truck that sits a lot too. Make sure there are not animals chewing on the wires to the coil packs, we saw that on a Tahoe yesterday, little chew marks on the wiring. I had a grand cherokee 5.9 that ate coil packs from every manufacturer, but have not seen issues on my GM trucks

bstiffmanofsteel
05-15-12, 08:44 AM
My brother recently had a similar situation. He eventually learned there was a squirrels next in his engine bay. They had eaten most of his wires!

Waterplay
05-15-12, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the info guys, the critters seem like a good place to start looking. I will check that out.

Any more info on this would be greatly appreciated. I guess I'm still trying to get a handle on it as it seems to be a pretty uncommon occurrence!

hcvone
05-15-12, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the info guys, the critters seem like a good place to start looking. I will check that out.

Any more info on this would be greatly appreciated. I guess I'm still trying to get a handle on it as it seems to be a pretty uncommon occurrence!

There is another things with many products of today, they are made in large runs and if there is a problem it should show up in many cars/trucks, and just have not heard about it on any of the forums

Waterplay
05-15-12, 11:25 AM
There is another things with many products of today, they are made in large runs and if there is a problem it should show up in many cars/trucks, and just have not heard about it on any of the forums

Good point, I think I'll try to talk to the tech that is working on it to see if he can figure what happened to them.

I guess it just is one of those things that "just figures" when it happens to you and apparently not many others. It's why I would love to get to the bottom of it.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-15-12, 11:41 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your confusion, waterplay! You are definitely in the right place, as you can tell from the helpful answers by the great community members here. Please feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance.

Looking forward to your updates,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Waterplay
05-16-12, 09:43 PM
Well we got the truck back today. Turns out the coil packs had corroded.

I know the winters up here can be very tough on vehicles, but wow. So far we've had to replace the transmission lines, power steering pump, power steering lines and a few other things. All under the hood. Now this...

I can't wait to find out what the road salt will eat away next.

hcvone
05-17-12, 07:44 AM
Well we got the truck back today. Turns out the coil packs had corroded.

I know the winters up here can be very tough on vehicles, but wow. So far we've had to replace the transmission lines, power steering pump, power steering lines and a few other things. All under the hood. Now this...

I can't wait to find out what the road salt will eat away next.

Where were they corroded? Was it where the connection to the plug wire went? A good coating of dielectric grease will take care of that issue. I think they maybe mixing the salt or using that crap they use in Colorado, never seen anything like that, it's like acid and eats everything

Waterplay
05-17-12, 07:27 PM
Where were they corroded? Was it where the connection to the plug wire went? A good coating of dielectric grease will take care of that issue. I think they maybe mixing the salt or using that crap they use in Colorado, never seen anything like that, it's like acid and eats everything

I believe they said they were corroded "along the bottom".

You're right about the salt. It's that plus the brine they use here. Stuff will eat away anything in its path. I have started undercoating with a product up here called Krown. Hopefully that will at least slow down the effects of the "acid bath" we have to endure every winter.

GM-4-LIFE
05-17-12, 07:37 PM
I had one fail on a new H2 Hummer I used to have. It happens. With higher mileage, anything can fail. It's not common though and I am on my 7th new Escalade.