: OnStar: Remote Link pretty cool

quikag
05-14-12, 06:12 PM
I know I'm behind the times and probably all of you guys, but I just downloaded and set-up the Remote Link app on my Iphone for my '12 V. Very cool that I can check gallons of fuel left, tire pressures, oil life remaining, mileage, etc. from my phone as well as set-up Navigation directions, assist, etc.. Even more cool that I can remotely unlock, lock, sound the alarm, and start/turn-off the car from anywhere in the world that has connectivity for my phone. It's a little gimmicky, but it's nice to be able to be on one side of my building at work and fire up my car on the other side of the building and walk out 5 minute later to a cooling off/warming up car (depending on season).

FLTRI
05-14-12, 06:19 PM
Yup, had it about 8 months now. I get a "210 error" from time to time, but it works well most of the time...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/FLTRI/onstar1.png

OldRoadDawg
05-14-12, 06:59 PM
...I can check gallons of fuel left

:confused: Huh? I don't know how to do that, even while sitting in my car.

Used to be able to do that on my V1, but thought they eliminated that feature on the V2.

SoCal_V
05-14-12, 07:33 PM
:confused: Huh? I don't know how to do that, even while sitting in my car.

Used to be able to do that on my V1, but thought they eliminated that feature on the V2.

They did eliminate that feature inside the car...

In the Remote Link App, you can view gallons remaining as well as tire pressures, oil life, miles driven etc.

The App is indeed very cool, I enjoy it.

FLTRI
05-14-12, 07:40 PM
Yup!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/FLTRI/a008c743.jpg

Trapspeed
05-14-12, 07:42 PM
If only it supported 2009's.

Mike02z
05-14-12, 07:43 PM
You can also send directions from your phone directly to the NAV in your V. I use this app all the time on my Nexus.

allinmyhead
05-14-12, 08:55 PM
You can also send directions from your phone directly to the NAV in your V. I use this app all the time on my Nexus.

This is my #1 use case for the app. It eliminates the step looking up an address on my phone and then manually keying in the address (if the nav doesn't have my destination as a POI).

quikag
05-14-12, 10:22 PM
Yup!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/FLTRI/a008c743.jpg

16mpg lifetime average? You're being way too easy on your V. The gas is the pedal on the right! :D

FLTRI
05-15-12, 01:31 AM
16mpg lifetime average? You're being way too easy on your V. The gas is the pedal on the right! :D

It read 18 MPG for a bit right after I installed the app. I'm working hard on getting the number down...:thumbsup:

SoCal_V
05-15-12, 03:14 AM
I'm beginning to think something is wrong with my car...I drive it alike a grandma and average 13mpg, dip into the 11s easily if I romp it even moderately from light to light.

Not sure I could get 16mpg average if my life depended upon it unless it was all freeway miles. :suspense:

Mike02z
05-15-12, 08:09 AM
I also average about 17 MPG and am not easy on my car. 90% of my driving is rural roads and highways. I do almost no city driving. If you do mostly city driving, I would expect about 13 MPG.

SoCalCTSV
05-15-12, 08:26 AM
Had my car since Nov and still haven't done this. How do I get my user name?

V Wagon
05-15-12, 11:31 AM
I think you have to set that up on the OnStar website.

Johnsteph10
05-15-12, 12:03 PM
Had my car since Nov and still haven't done this. How do I get my user name?

Go to the App Store (App Store for Apple products) or Google Play Store (Android) and download the Onstar App. It will ask you to set it up/user name and password. You'll then be directed to start an Onstar login on the web.

You'll make up a PIN and then bingo!

Very cool app and amazes everyone.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-15-12, 12:05 PM
Hi SoCal_V,

Have you checked the useful fueleconomy.gov for mpg tips? (It's located under the "Save Money & Fuel" tab at the top.)

V Wagon is correct about the OnStar site! In order to access the OnStar functionality, users must have current OnStar subscriptions, and you can create an OnStar Username/Password. See OnStar.com/mobile (OnStar.com/mobile)for details!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

airtroop01
05-15-12, 12:10 PM
If only it supported 2009's.

+1, wish it worked with 2009's... I don't understand why it does not.

Crystal Red CTS-V
05-15-12, 04:22 PM
OnStar won't allow me to register on their website. No problems with the '11 Z06's OnStar registration.

Squirlz
05-15-12, 05:21 PM

Can you send it to the NAV? I tried it and it just sent it to Onstar Turn by Turn. I don't like that much.

FLTRI
05-15-12, 07:11 PM
OnStar won't allow me to register on their website. No problems with the '11 Z06's OnStar registration.

If you already have one GM vehicle registered to your account, you just register the 2nd vehicle under the same account. There is a "change vehicle" button on the last page of the app. You have to re-log on when you change vehicles...

Suj_S
05-15-12, 08:25 PM
I just set it up and agree that it is very cool; however, all my measurements are showing up in metric (liters & kilometers) instead of English units (gallons & miles). Anyone know how to change it? The OnStar rep said she couldn't help me because it was a phone setting. I have Samsung Galaxy S2 (droid). Thanks in advance!

Crystal Red CTS-V
05-15-12, 08:50 PM
If you already one GM vehicle registered to your account, you just register the 2nd vehicle under the same account. There is a "change vehicle" button on the last page of the app. You have to re-log on when you change vehicles...

Thanks FLTRI!

LisaJean
05-16-12, 12:51 PM
I just set it up and agree that it is very cool; however, all my measurements are showing up in metric (liters & kilometers) instead of English units (gallons & miles). Anyone know how to change it? The OnStar rep said she couldn't help me because it was a phone setting. I have Samsung Galaxy S2 (droid). Thanks in advance!

Hi Suj_S - OnStar RemoteLink language and metric settings are a function of the smartphone and not the app itself. Try going into your phone's settings, there should be a section for "Location". In there you can change it to the US.

Hope that helps!

Lisa
OnStar Social Moderator

SoCalCTSV
05-16-12, 12:59 PM
Just set mine up. Drop the the first zero in the account to register. Just need to figure how to set up pin.

My wife who has a cool brand new Evoque is NOW jealous, Haha!!!!!

quikag
05-16-12, 01:03 PM
My dad is a computer geek (in a good way). He bought the original Macintosh back in the day. Anyway, I showed him my new remote link app for my V and he wants to trade-in his Genesis V8 on a new V just for the app. haha. I told him the app was cool, but not THAT cool. He likes the car though too, so who knows.

SoCal_V
05-16-12, 01:38 PM
Hi SoCal_V,

Have you checked the useful fueleconomy.gov for mpg tips? (It's located under the "Save Money & Fuel" tab at the top.)

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Hi Katie, thanks for the link--yes I already do those things. I own 2 other automobiles, and have no problem attaining or exceeding their rated MPG. The V is just a very very thirsty vehicle!

Trapspeed
05-16-12, 01:45 PM
Whoa!! Onstar Moderator in the house. LisaJean, why no support for 2009 vehicles?? Can this be done??

LisaJean
05-16-12, 02:35 PM
Whoa!! Onstar Moderator in the house. LisaJean, why no support for 2009 vehicles?? Can this be done??

Hi Trapspeed!

Unfortunately, I don't have good news to give. The reason why the RemoteLink app won't work with these vehicles is because of the generation of hardware in them. RemoteLink requires Generation 9 and newer hardware, and your Cadillac has Generation 8.

We're always looking to improve upon our services though and we'll be sure to share should there be any developments with the app!

Lisa
OnStar Social Moderator

quikag
05-16-12, 03:21 PM
It really is amazing how many negative reviews the Remote Link got on the App store. 99% of the complaints were from owners of GM vehicles with OnStar that didn't have the newer hardware to support the use of the app.

How many people are crapping on Apple right now because their IPhone 3 and 4 don't support Siri? Not many. Life marches onward. When I had my '08 Yukon Denali, should I have cried to GM when the '09 Denali came with auto-up windows and air conditioned seats and my '08 didn't? This is the same deal. Newer cars have better features than older ones for the most part. Trying to improve on their product is how automakers continue to sell new cars.

Trapspeed
05-16-12, 10:46 PM
Hi Trapspeed!

Unfortunately, I don't have good news to give. The reason why the RemoteLink app won't work with these vehicles is because of the generation of hardware in them. RemoteLink requires Generation 9 and newer hardware, and your Cadillac has Generation 8.

We're always looking to improve upon our services though and we'll be sure to share should there be any developments with the app!

Lisa
OnStar Social Moderator

Any way to "upgrade" the vehicle hardware or is this just an unfortunate circumstance with no "fix"? I understand either way...I'd just love to be able to use it! Thanks!

LisaJean
06-05-12, 06:06 PM
Any way to "upgrade" the vehicle hardware or is this just an unfortunate circumstance with no "fix"? I understand either way...I'd just love to be able to use it! Thanks!

Hi there - Sorry I am just getting back to you! At this point, there's no workaround or upgrade for it unfortunately.

Trapspeed
06-05-12, 10:21 PM
Thanks. It's all good...but would be better with '09's on board!

Purple87SS
06-06-12, 10:55 AM
Doesn't work on 2010 V either..BOOOOO!