: Painting exhaust tips. Need advice.

LV_V
05-13-12, 12:17 PM
I'm about to paint my Stainless Works exhaust tips matte black. I plan on scuffing the chrome really well with some 120 and then 300 sand paper, cleaning with brake cleaner, applying two thin coats of VHT Flameproof primer, three coats of VHT Flameproof flat black, and then baking the tips according to their instructions to cure.

Anyone used this product before? Am I better off having the tips powder coated??

DangFoo
05-13-12, 03:53 PM
Barbecue paint (aka high temp paint) works without a primer coat.

I sprayed the chrome tips on my truck a year ago and the matte black still looks good. I scoured with sandpaper and didn't use any primer.

Stillborn
05-14-12, 03:33 PM
i used these. fwiw.
http://www.assuredautomotiveproducts.com/Flat-Black-Dbl-Wall-Beveled-Pencil-Outlet-4OD-Exhaust-Tip-AC012pr-BKF.htm

Captain McFunk
05-14-12, 06:34 PM
plasti-dip.

Fireverm
05-15-12, 01:07 PM
My paint guy used hi-temp header paint on mine.

LV_V
05-15-12, 08:29 PM
Why can't I edit my original post? Why can't I attach a picture bigger than a thumbnail?? Gotta love this forum...

Here they are finished.

qictrk
05-16-12, 01:43 AM
plasti-dip.

Will Plasti Dip take the high temps Captain? It would be nice to use it so that
you can easily remove it if you don't like the look. Cecil.............

LV_V
05-16-12, 03:12 AM
Will Plasti Dip take the high temps Captain? It would be nice to use it so that
you can easily remove it if you don't like the look. Cecil.............

Absolutely not. I'm not even sure if I should use it on the chrome trim surrounding the exhaust on the coupe..

DangFoo
05-16-12, 11:43 AM
I think McFunk was joking; you don't want to use Plasti-Dip in the engine bay, near or on exhaust components, or anywhere subject to high heat.

Again, high-temp paint can be had at any hardware store and it works on chrome, stainless, etc. I've been using it with success for years; mainly to cover-up the discolored and rusted mufflers and tail pipes on my Jeeps.

kirbyCTSV
05-17-12, 12:17 PM
why not get them powder coated?

LV_V
05-17-12, 08:53 PM
why not get them powder coated?

See post #6. I used VHT hi temp flameproof ceramic-based paint. Turned out great.

whisler151
05-17-12, 10:16 PM
Look awesome. Cant wait to see them on your V.