: 2005 DTS Head gasket still a problem?

#1papa
05-13-12, 10:38 AM
Hi to all. I am looking to buy a 05 DTS and wondering if the head gasket could still be a problem or was it corrected by 05. I know anything at anytime can happen to any automoble, and if I bought one that had good maintance record could this still be a problem?
One more question, are the tire and rim the same size on the DTS, DHS, Thanks
Oh one more, do the DTS need premium gas?

00 Deville
05-13-12, 11:34 AM
I am looking to buy a 05 DTS and wondering if the head gasket could still be a problem or was it corrected by 05.

The headbolts where redesigned during the 04 model year to go with a coarse thread to improve the holding power in the aluminum block. The consensus seems to be that this has reduced the frequency of HG issues to a number that is more in line with failure rates that are seen in other makes and models.

Does it still happen... yes it does... I would still drive the piss out of it followed by a block test before purchasing it. The highest percentage of N* powered cars with a HG issue have a "For Sale" sign in the window... caveat emptor.

Below is a tutorial to determine what 04's got the redesigned bolts. (all 05's have the redesigned bolts)
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/251054-2004-deville-determining-headbolt-thread-pitch.html

One more question, are the tire and rim the same size on the DTS, DHS

The base and DHS have 16" rims the DTS came with 17" rims.

Oh one more, do the DTS need premium gas?
Any 00-05 N* was designed to run on regular gas.

#1papa
05-13-12, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the quick reply DeVille I read the best way to tell is to have the engine up to normal temp. and WOT to about 70 and back down to 30 and repeat a few times. Watch the temp. gauge to see if go higher than normal. Does that sound about right?

00 Deville
05-13-12, 12:06 PM
Just drive it like you stole it... if the temp gauuge goes past 12 oclock... walk away. If the seller tells you about any recently replaced cooling system parts... walk away.
I would also do a block test before buying any N* powered vehicle. This will test for exhaust gasses in the air space above the coolant... it's a simple, inexpensive test.

I congratulate you for doing your homework before you buy. :highfive:

#1papa
05-13-12, 07:48 PM
This block test, what do I need and how do you do it?

Ranger
05-13-12, 08:32 PM
You can borrow one from AutoZone. Just pay for the test fluid. It should come with instructions. It just samples the air in the surge tank to test for the presence of exhaust gases.

Here is what it looks like.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/sjdiscounttools_2209_721456805

Post #5 has a video of it in use.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/207196-hg-block-test-results.html

00 Deville
05-13-12, 10:49 PM
It's been my experience that you have about a 50/50 shot that an AZ employee will tell you they don't have or stock a block test kit when you ask for one. If you ask for the following by part number they will be able to locate one in the back room.

-Block test kit #27145
-Test fluid #25739
-Make sure the fluid is a medium to dark blue... AZ has been known to have expired or defective fluid. The bad fluid will either be clear or very light blue in color.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2029/blocktest.jpg

Virgin blue fluid on left
Failed test on the right (Bad HG)

ThumperPup
05-21-12, 09:15 AM
im thinking its been about comming on a year next month since i did a block test im going to do one just to check it
before my road trip
how long is to long for a bottle of fluid to be sitting for it to expire ?
my bottle iv had for a year also its sitting in the garage in a box somewhere going to dig it out today if its still good to use for the test

vincentm
05-21-12, 10:33 AM
im thinking its been about comming on a year next month since i did a block test im going to do one just to check it
before my road trip
how long is to long for a bottle of fluid to be sitting for it to expire ?
my bottle iv had for a year also its sitting in the garage in a box somewhere going to dig it out today if its still good to use for the test

Lol, seriously bro? Just stop...

ThumperPup
05-21-12, 02:38 PM
Lol, seriously bro? Just stop...

dude i just get a little peranoid whenit comes to the fact that this thing out of no where with the heat being in the high 80s low 90s just starts to move into to 12:30 and 1:30 and stays there sometimes just curisng on the highway not reving it but then always backs down
i am also thinking perhaps i just have a defective temp sensor but not sure whats up with that i never smel burning and fluid is always at right level