: Cobra Iradar remote stealth mount (pics)

tommy compton
05-12-12, 02:51 PM
Can't use radar detectors here, and most stealth mount radars are pricey. So I decided to give Cobra's Iradar a shot, with the plan of mounting it behind my grill. I know it won't pick up radar behind me but thats not usually the problem spot for me anyway. It bluetooths to your Iphone (or you can get an android version) It's a pretty slick set up. All sounds and alarms come through your Iphone. Plus it can alert you on speed cameras and known hot spots. The only down fall so far is it interupts Ipone music without restarting the music after an alert, which I'm sure/hoping they will come out with a fix soon. I mostly use it for highway so that isn't to big of a deal, but in the city it's kind of annoying. For 130.00 you can't really go wrong.
First thing i did when i got the thing is take it apart and seal all the seams with rtv gasket. Then I hooked up the hardwire and sealed all openings from the outside, including the volume and speaker holes.
Then I mounted it to my bumper behind the grill, with double sided tape. I wired it to a switched fuse in my fuse panel.
Don't have much realworld testing, but the reviews are pretty good and I have no problem locating walmarts.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e29/tommycompton/IMG_20120512_121209.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e29/tommycompton/IMG_20120512_121220.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e29/tommycompton/c830b519034e2dcfcd80da571a004b6831636313.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e29/tommycompton/6558e3926306ce32e4750e2d04f002b85bf91885.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e29/tommycompton/bbd896313f47d05e93541039368453fcc6eb0331.jpg

nikdsctsv
05-12-12, 03:19 PM
Hey Tommy, I cannot figure this site out. If I could I would have either emailed you or pmed you, but I guess I will just post here. Anyway, Im curious where you got that rear strut brace for the V?

tommy compton
05-12-12, 03:29 PM
I bought off a member here who used to sell them, I think his name was nels. Lindsay cadillac used to sell them, but I'm not sure if they still do. It's made by Vibrant motorsports, if you try searching for them maybe they sell them?

perfect
05-12-12, 03:44 PM
If radar detectors are illegal in Canada - than is this technically illegal to have on your car as well?

If so - why not just get a Valentine 1 with a stealth mount for the rear view mirror. If you're getting pulled over you can just quickly unplug it and remove it from the mount (takes like 1.5 seconds when you know how to do it).

kciaccio
05-12-12, 06:33 PM
Thanks for this write up. I just went and bought one on Amazon.

CancerJCC
05-13-12, 01:32 PM
I couldn't find out with a quick search but you better make sure its undetectable by Spectre units. (Radar detector detectors). The cops in VA have them and I'm sure they do in CA as well.

BTW Its certainly not the most high end of detectors but if it makes you happy then more power to you. (I'd recommend an STi-r Plus for you in CA). Its the best you can buy and the price reflects it though.

kciaccio
05-13-12, 03:04 PM
Can you tell me how you wired it exactly? I see your mounting point, maybe you can take some pictures of the whole wiring process? I just ordered thie on Amazon and would like to do wxactly how you have it set up. Thanks.

tommy compton
05-13-12, 06:28 PM
I couldn't find out with a quick search but you better make sure its undetectable by Spectre units. (Radar detector detectors). The cops in VA have them and I'm sure they do in CA as well.

BTW Its certainly not the most high end of detectors but if it makes you happy then more power to you. (I'd recommend an STi-r Plus for you in CA). Its the best you can buy and the price reflects it though.
I know there are better detectors out there, just not into spending 800+ on a remote mount unit. It says on their website that all their detectors are vg2 (obsolete anyway) and specter 1 invisible. But also have read others getting nabbed for them, perhalps by newer gen specters?
I it does detect specter signals, so maybe i'll wire in a toggle switch to turn it off if I get a warning.

Can you tell me how you wired it exactly? I see your mounting point, maybe you can take some pictures of the whole wiring process? I just ordered thie on Amazon and would like to do wxactly how you have it set up. Thanks.
Wiring is simple, I bought the hardwire kit wich is basically the same as the cigarette lighter but with a longer wire and a fuse. I never used the fuse instead a got an add-a-circuit fuse(you can get those at any automotive place) for the positive and fused a switched power fuse in the fuse box you can use any one that turns on with the ignition. The ground I just used the bolt from the washer flluid container right beside the rad with an eyeloop connector.

CancerJCC
05-13-12, 10:48 PM
I know there are better detectors out there, just not into spending 800+ on a remote mount unit. It says on their website that all their detectors are vg2 (obsolete anyway) and specter 1 invisible. But also have read others getting nabbed for them, perhalps by newer gen specters?
I it does detect specter signals, so maybe i'll wire in a toggle switch to turn it off if I get a warning.

I can understand your sentiment. If you choose to opt for something RDD proof then look at the Redline for a nice $450 solution. The kill switch might work in a perfect world but are you really going to kill it for EVERY alert?

What is the punishment in CA for a RD? I know they confiscate them on the spot but what is the fine? Reason I say is that in VA you are better off running it to avoid the ridiculously high fines. The penalty for having a RD is just $ whereas a speeding ticket is points/insurance increases.

perfect
05-14-12, 12:22 AM
I can understand your sentiment. If you choose to opt for something RDD proof then look at the Redline for a nice $450 solution. The kill switch might work in a perfect world but are you really going to kill it for EVERY alert?

What is the punishment in CA for a RD? I know they confiscate them on the spot but what is the fine? Reason I say is that in VA you are better off running it to avoid the ridiculously high fines. The penalty for having a RD is just $ whereas a speeding ticket is points/insurance increases.

This is exactly why I was questioning whether or not it would be "smarter" to have a real radar detector stealth wired in the interior. I'm assuming that if you get popped you can just put it under your seat and refuse to have your car searched. They can certainly prove that you have the current radar detector, since it's obviously mounted in a somewhat permanent visible location.

CancerJCC
05-14-12, 12:18 PM
This is exactly why I was questioning whether or not it would be "smarter" to have a real radar detector stealth wired in the interior. I'm assuming that if you get popped you can just put it under your seat and refuse to have your car searched. They can certainly prove that you have the current radar detector, since it's obviously mounted in a somewhat permanent visible location.

While I'm no attorney I would also think they wouldn't be allowed to search on a RD hunt ALONE. However who knows in CA (where Tommy is from).

The best option for those in communist countries/states is to get a RDD stealthed detector (Cops can't locate it) and hide it in the interior well or behind the bumper. A bunch of guys run their detectors inside of one of their headrests and have a remote display hidden somewhere that can be closed or isn't readily seen from outside the vehicle. If you choose to do a remote mount then behind the bumper is a good option. However testing should be done because some plastics inhibit radar waves.

With both of these options you lose the ability to detect LIDAR but that doesn't matter anyhow. For that you need Laser Interceptors! :)

Bionic
05-14-12, 04:54 PM
Just for information radar detectors are completely legal in CA. Radar signal jammers are illegal, but detectors are legal. Cops in CA can't confiscate them or ticket you for having them.

perfect
05-14-12, 09:44 PM
Just for information radar detectors are completely legal in CA. Radar signal jammers are illegal, but detectors are legal. Cops in CA can't confiscate them or ticket you for having them.

I think CancerJCC is referring to Canada (CA), not California (CA). OP is from Winnipeg - who knows what the rules are up there.

LOL Canadians :alchi:

Bionic
05-15-12, 01:17 PM
I think CancerJCC is referring to Canada (CA), not California (CA). OP is from Winnipeg - who knows what the rules are up there.

Whoops my bad.

CancerJCC
05-15-12, 05:42 PM

Yep.

kciaccio
05-18-12, 10:09 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the Idea. I just got done hard wiring mine just like yours. Works great!

tommy compton
05-23-12, 06:43 PM
Hooked up a switch
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e29/tommycompton/d0ec7f73.jpg
I wouldn't switch it off for every warning, but out on the highway I can flick it off if I get a RDD warning.
I like have the option of flicking it off manually.
Here in Manitoba they are illegal and will sieze them, in Ontario where I travel to frequently they can actually search your car if they detect one(gives them probable cause).

FYI the top button and LED are for my wideband.

CancerJCC
05-23-12, 10:24 PM
Hooked up a switch
I wouldn't switch it off for every warning, but out on the highway I can flick it off if I get a RDD warning.
I like have the option of flicking it off manually.
Here in Manitoba they are illegal and will sieze them, in Ontario where I travel to frequently they can actually search your car if they detect one(gives them probable cause).

FYI the top button and LED are for my wideband.

Props for the kill switch but I'm not sure what you mean when you detect a RDD? You WON'T detect that, at best you will get a solid radar signal from a cop using a radar gun and shut it off before he catches you with his RDD. A separate piece of equipment. Just be careful up there!

BTW I like you location for those items. Its similar to mine!

Older with no WB.

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q365/CancerJCC/04%20CTSV%20Countermeasures/Delete005.jpg

Current but dark.

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q365/CancerJCC/04%20CTSV%20Countermeasures/2011-09-21_16-57-31_896.jpg

tommy compton
05-23-12, 11:15 PM
I mean if I get popped by radar or VG-2, I can flip it off. Some detectors do have specter detection, apparently iradar isn't one one them. I know a switch isn't fool proof but it may get me out of a bind. :P

CancerJCC
05-24-12, 09:16 PM
I mean if I get popped by radar or VG-2, I can flip it off. Some detectors do have specter detection, apparently iradar isn't one one them. I know a switch isn't fool proof but it may get me out of a bind. :P

Yeah it all depends on how your locals are. I know in VA they are Nazi's and will get you if you aren't running a stealthed radar detector.

Good luck!