: 3rd brake light / spoiler differences STS V / non-V

Ludacrisvp
05-12-12, 10:12 AM
So having the AWD STS deleted my rear spoiler.
I see that there are 2 different spoilers the V series that seems to wrap around the 3rd brake light and the non-V spoiler that just pops on to the top of the trunk lid.
Is this just a spoiler difference or does the V have an alternate 3rd brake light?
I am asking due to the following reasons:
The V spoiler looks better than non-V and better than no spoiler.
My 3rd brake light appears to have blown it's seal as there was some water in my trunk lid after a week of heavy rain.
If I need a new 3rd brake light and the V series is special I may look for one with plans to find a V spoiler too.
I will not be making this into a fake V STS, if it already had a spoiler I wouldn't bother, if the lid wasn't retaining water I wouldn't bother.
I'm not going to say I don't like the look of the V but I'm not going to change bumpers and hood to get the look of a V. Just looking to possibly add a spoiler depending on what the details are.

1BadCadSTS
05-12-12, 01:40 PM
Unless theres a 4.4 S/C N* under the hood do everyone a favor and leave the V to the V boys... When some hopped up Civic takes you, your going to disgrace the brand when they think they just beat a real V...

B1n2fra
05-12-12, 03:14 PM
Unless theres a 4.4 S/C N* under the hood do everyone a favor and leave the V to the V boys... When some hopped up Civic takes you, your going to disgrace the brand when they think they just beat a real V...
Did you read his post. He doesnt want to mimic a V he just wants the V spoiler. I would like it myself. I wouldnt try to mimic a V. My 4.6 awd is quick enough to smash hemi chargers and gt mustangs.

EChas3
05-12-12, 05:40 PM
Besides, if someone beats him, they won't be looking at the spoiler.

Ludacrisvp
05-12-12, 10:57 PM
With the V spoiler going around the 3rd brake light I figure it may have a better seal as in it may help to keep the water out of my trunk lid.

Ludacrisvp
05-12-12, 11:04 PM
Unless theres a 4.4 S/C N* under the hood do everyone a favor and leave the V to the V boys...
looks like you are adding V series equipment to your car too. ... Hmmm.

Obviously there was no Platinum Edition STS available in 2005 when I bought mine, however I have seen a few and they have a much nicer looking interior than even my 1SG.
It looks like they basically have the V interior console, door panels, and dash. I have already bought and installed an STS-V console with trim plate with leather stiching and arm rest which are a nice upgrade as well as the Platium (SLS) Grille and my next step is the door panels.

1BadCadSTS
05-13-12, 07:34 AM
Really? what V equipment is on my car?

putting nicer interior equipment (which was availble on both the Platinum edition AND V) and posing as a V are entirely different... last i checked the cars staged next to me dont sit inside my car...

Ludacrisvp
05-13-12, 07:58 AM
I clearly already mentioned this
"I have already bought and installed an STS-V console with trim plate with leather stitching and arm rest"
So in reality you are posing as an Export model STS, and Platinum model STS, and STS-V as well (I see export tail lamps on your profile picture, you mentioned getting STS-V interior and planned on getting the Platinum grille too).
You didn't say that you installed a Platinum version... either way this is just starting a pissing contest that I don't really want to be involved in, so this will be my last message to you regarding this discussion.

I am not posing as a V series. Besides the differences between V spoiler and non V spoiler are very minimal and only a real enthusiast would be able to tell.
I am not putting any V series badges on the car.
I am not putting any V series bumpers on the car.
I am not putting any V series hood on the car.
I am not putting any V series grille on the car.
Likely due to paint costs for Black Cherry on top of an unknown cost of V series spoiler and possibly 3rd brake light too I will never put a V series spoiler on it either.

I am simply looking for thoughts if the V series spoiler will provide a better seal around the 3rd brake light so less water leaks in during heavy rainfall, That is all.
If it does provide a better seal then I would look into the cost and see if it was really worth it, if not I would move along and leave it the way it is.
Having not had a V series STS 08+ in person to closely inspect I have no idea how the 3rd brake light and spoiler interact, they could be all 1 piece for all I can tell.

malatu
05-13-12, 08:57 AM
I don't know all of the intricacies associated with the spoiler and the 3rd brake light, but it seems to me that installing a spoiler to address a poor seal for the third brake light is a long "dance around the barn to let the horse out."

1BadCadSTS
05-13-12, 09:15 AM
Where to start....

1st there are GM accessory SMOKED tail lamps and EXPORT tail lamps

two different set ups there boss....

GM Smokes use all RED leds, EURO use RED brake and AMBER turn leds to meet with European law requiring all turn indicators to be AMBER...

Second when I bought my car NEW in 2005 there was no Platinum or V series offered, had there of been the option to have the nicer interior which these cars would of had without intervention of Bob Lutz I would of.

Finally to actually answer your question its the same brake lamp it just bolts into the spoiler and then the spoiler to the deck as opposed to the deck mounted standard set up.

I advised against turning your car into a V which I'm pretty sure if any of the die hard V boys got wind like Florian or Kaz they would agree, its that simple.

bigburban
05-13-12, 10:04 AM
Well my 2008 V has had to have the spoiler replaced and then resealed in the last 12 months for leaks.

I am simply looking for thoughts if the V series spoiler will provide a better seal around the 3rd brake light so less water leaks in during heavy rainfall, That is all.
If it does provide a better seal then I would look into the cost and see if it was really worth it, if not I would move along and leave it the way it is.
Having not had a V series STS 08+ in person to closely inspect I have no idea how the 3rd brake light and spoiler interact, they could be all 1 piece for all I can tell.

Ludacrisvp
05-13-12, 11:13 AM
Well then, those last 2 posts basically answer my question. If it isn't going to help with the leaky brake light no need to do it.
I was aware of the differences in the USA and export led color.
I wasn't aware that there was a USA spec smoked an euro spec smoked lens. Personall I like the smoked lens with amber signals.