: Roof rack rails.......removal

Whosnext
05-11-12, 09:36 PM
How do u get the rails off a 2011 ext? I'm squeezing the sh#t out of the rear end caps and will not come off?

quattrotman
05-12-12, 01:09 AM
Ya...I would like to know too. I've tried (not very hard mind you) to get those damn caps off with no success.

quattrotman
05-13-12, 02:08 AM
I go them off today. A lot easier than everyone makes it out to be. To take the end caps off, take a screwdriver wrapped in tape or some plastic trim removal tool and pry the very end or tip of the cap up. Just get the screwdriver blade inbetween the black plastic piece against the roof and the end cap on the furthest pointy end and pry up, the cap will pop up. Mine came up easily like this. I tried pressing and rocking back and forth but that didn't do anything. Just be careful not to scratch the caps as you are prying. The rest is self explanitory when you have the caps off.

hcvone
05-13-12, 02:46 PM
I go them off today. A lot easier than everyone makes it out to be. To take the end caps off, take a screwdriver wrapped in tape or some plastic trim removal tool and pry the very end or tip of the cap up. Just get the screwdriver blade inbetween the black plastic piece against the roof and the end cap on the furthest pointy end and pry up, the cap will pop up. Mine came up easily like this. I tried pressing and rocking back and forth but that didn't do anything. Just be careful not to scratch the caps as you are prying. The rest is self explanitory when you have the caps off.

Mine we lets say were an epic battle on all but the 07', they pulled off with my hands. :confused: I did as you did but they just would not pop, had to then go between the end cap and the plastic/rubber part that goes agaist the roof with the pry tool and then they popped, knew where the clips where, but the 12's were so tight it was a real pain. There is a little tab inside the rail on the bottom side that you need to depress to remove the rails completly, you will see it if you look inside after the end caps are removed, with a flashlight it's easier

ZR1-638HP
05-14-12, 10:33 AM
Just a Curious Question, Why are you removing the end caps?