: Extended Warranties with Solid Electronics Coverage?

BQuicksilver
05-11-12, 03:15 PM
Well, my parents picked up blk/blk 07 ESV with all options and overall I'm very happy with it. My only concern is the 95k miles on it and number of systems with potential to fail in an Escalade. It did come with a major mechanical warranty, but frankly its the electrical gremlins I fear most.

I'd love to have Major Guard, but it cuts off at 75k. I expect to pay a good sum for warranty coverage on a high mile ESV, but expect it may be worthwhile.

Suggestions? I'd like to have audio/heated seats/power running boards/etc covered. I can't find many plans with coverage that comprehensive.

bigtone1013
05-11-12, 04:46 PM
So So many horror stories about after market warranties my suggestion is if you have the money to get and pay off one of these warranties than put it up maybe in an interest bearing account and try to forget about it, if you have to finance it put aside the monthly. Let's face it in the two years that the warranty probably would be for you might not even use it.

BQuicksilver
05-11-12, 08:56 PM
Bigtone, I'd rather not make this an "are these warranties worthwile" thread, but most are actually quite good. The trick is you need to read EXACTLY what is covered and required for coverage. Also ask if they pay via credit card or check, and lastly ask who underwrites them.

You do those 3 things and it's highly unlikely you'll have an issue.

I paid ~$2000 for the one on my Vette and I bet I had over $25,000 in service done.
I paid ~$1800 for one on my VW Touareg and have about $2900 in service done with 2 years to go.

They offered one on the Escalade for $1800 that was for an additionl 5yr/100k mi (seemed too good to be true). It said it covered "electrical" amongst other things. Once you read the fine print "electrical" meant starter, alternator, window motors...nothing more. I'm sure they pay those claims, but if you bring it in for heated seats and power running boards that is on you. Is that a "horror story" or were you just an unwise consumer?

bigtone1013
05-11-12, 09:33 PM
No actually I have one it's called TechChoice they haven't given me a problem.

BQuicksilver
05-11-12, 10:50 PM
Thanks! Any word on the extent of their electronics coverage?

It seems some warranties list what they cover and other (better ones like Major Guard) list what isn't covered...noting if it's not listed it's covered.

zam2000
05-14-12, 01:17 PM
My warranty (CPO) is about to expired in August, so I just bought the Mercury extended warranty from AutoPOM. I paid aroud $3000 for 4 years/100K, platinum coverage (pretty much cover everything). Currently, I have 50K mile. Vacation car, around 5-7K miles/year, so mostly just buy it for peace of mind when we're on the trip.

I've heard lot of horror stories with extended warranty, but to both myself and my relatives, they're all worth it. We used them on car, high-end appliance, electronic... You just have to do research and shop around.

Well, my parents picked up blk/blk 07 ESV with all options and overall I'm very happy with it. My only concern is the 95k miles on it and number of systems with potential to fail in an Escalade. It did come with a major mechanical warranty, but frankly its the electrical gremlins I fear most.

I'd love to have Major Guard, but it cuts off at 75k. I expect to pay a good sum for warranty coverage on a high mile ESV, but expect it may be worthwhile.

Suggestions? I'd like to have audio/heated seats/power running boards/etc covered. I can't find many plans with coverage that comprehensive.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-14-12, 03:14 PM
Congratulations on your ESV, BQuicksilver!

It looks like you're already getting some great insight from the community; another resource to consult would be your local dealership. They should be able to refer you to third party service contracts that they work with.

If we can look into anything for you, please let us know!
Best,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

Nice Ride
05-16-12, 12:35 AM
Contact AAA, they offer exceptional plans, cover items before they actually break. Ex, let's say one of the window motors was rolling the window down slowly, when it should be as fast as the other windows, they will replace the motor, even though it did not totally fail. They will also send you free quotes. Auto Mobile Club of America has been around for many, many years. You can take your vehicle to any repair facility, no only GM.
Just my 2 cents....

BQuicksilver
05-16-12, 10:15 AM
AutoPOM Platinum seems to be the way I'm going to go. For $2800 I get a 4yr/48k mi exclusionary policy that covers things like nav, heated/cooled seats, power running boards. That's pretty solid on a higher mile Escalade. They didn't even want to inspect the truck, which honestly seemed a little crazy on their part.

They have pretty good reviews on the mercedes forums (those guys a scared to death of the dealerships). I will report back.