: EXT tailgate protector - MacGyver'd

quattrotman
05-11-12, 02:41 AM
So I got frustrated with trying to find a tailgate protector for the top edge of the tailgate and decided to just make something myself. Just had the tailgate spoiler painted for the 2nd time and wasn't going to get it all scratched again. Was at Home depot and stumbled across some aluminum edging and it looked like it would work great. They have several different sizes but I picked one that had a slight lip to wrap around the edge and was an inch wide to cover the inside corner and top a bit. I cut it to size and angled the sides to follow the shape of the wing. I attached it with 3m HD double sided tape. I also covered the whole top with 3M clear bra before as well to protect the entire top of the tailgate. I think it turned out very well and works great. I no longer need to worry about hanging stuff out the back or on the tailgate. Just wanted to share as there really isn't anything out there for the EXT but there should be.

chakde
05-11-12, 11:43 AM
Great job. I think I may follow your footsteps.

quattrotman
05-11-12, 10:11 PM
Worked really well for me today. Had some 12ft 2x10's hanging out the back on the tailgate...not a scratch :)

roadog1aj
05-12-12, 05:55 PM
Nice idea! I may have to look at this for my EXT as well!! Thanx for sharing your idea!!!