: Rear Suspension replacement question.

shortfur7
05-09-12, 10:00 PM
I have a 2005 STS N* with the magnetic ride control. I have a leak in the right rear shock in the actual metal where it has rusted through a pin hole. im trying to find replacements for them but am having a hard time locating them. Can i get any replacement air shocks and re route the air lines(reason i ask that is my compressor is bad and not working for them anyways) or am i screwed and have to buy the OEM ones since i have the magnetic ride control? Or is there some aftermarket of some sort i can use

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

B1n2fra
05-10-12, 01:59 PM
I've found aftermarket shocks but they cost just as much or even more than the actual oem shocks. Your best very is ebay or gmpartsdirect.com. Auto parts stores don't carry many parts for the sts. You can buy some aftermarket shocks without the fe3 option but the car would retain its original ride height unless you changed the springs. I have a leak in the same spot on the left side so I know.

EChas3
05-10-12, 09:03 PM
Get a quote from Chris at Rippy's before you buy.

shortfur7
05-16-12, 09:41 PM
Get a quote from Chris at Rippy's before you buy.

Who is this Chris?

EChas3
05-16-12, 10:46 PM
Chris is the guy that often sells OEM parts at the best prices. Rippy Cadillac is a dealer in Wilmington NC.

B1n2fra
05-16-12, 11:47 PM
Its funny how right after responding to this post my compressor stopped working. Now my rear end is sagging. Have new shocks on the way but now I gotta find a compressor. Can a aftermarket compressor be retro fitted into its place. I have oem fe3 replacement shocks.

EChas3
05-17-12, 07:58 PM
I recently had mine replaced under a Zurich Warranty repair; $100 deductable; warranty paid $800.

Check Chris's price.

shortfur7
05-20-12, 06:57 PM
Its funny how right after responding to this post my compressor stopped working. Now my rear end is sagging. Have new shocks on the way but now I gotta find a compressor. Can a aftermarket compressor be retro fitted into its place. I have oem fe3 replacement shocks.

I found the OEM Rear shocks for $468 a piece and the OEM compressor with air lines for $375. I think im just going to buy the whole new OEM setup since its about the same as buying the aftermarket shocks from ebay.

EChas3
05-20-12, 08:26 PM
Make sure they are the right ones for your car. There are two designs for MRC & Non-MRC

B1n2fra
05-20-12, 08:31 PM
I found the OEM Rear shocks for $468 a piece and the OEM compressor with air lines for $375. I think im just going to buy the whole new OEM setup since its about the same as buying the aftermarket shocks from ebay.

Ebay has the parts cheaper than that. And gmpartsdirect.com
Ebay has the shocks for 377.00 each and the air compressor is about the same. Can't find one cheaper. Best bet if you don't get all the parts at the same time get the shocks first..

EChas3
05-20-12, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure the compressor is the same. I've read here that the metering is different. Naturally, the shocks are.