: Quote for the Caddy of my dreams

hombrerojo
05-09-12, 08:32 PM
Hey guys,

Newbie here trying to get into a new Caddy CTS-V Sedan. I am pretty particular about the one I want. I really want to pull the trigger on a deal I have going but am wondering if I am getting a good deal. Unfortunately, I do not have the residual value that the dealership is working off of but hopefully, you guys can tell me what you think based on the following info:

MSRP: $72,770 (Black diamond, CTS-V Sedan, Ultraview, Recaro) they don't have the graphite wheels which I really want but was considering asking the dealer to add those into the deal ($1880 retail at Cadillac).
Monthly: $898
Down: $4000
Lease Term: 36 Months, 10k miles/year

Is this enough to judge whether or not this is a good deal? I am trading in a 2011 VW GTI currently in a lease, they are paying for the full pay-off amount (looks like I will only have to pay the termination fee of $350). The Caddy dealer I am working with is also a VW dealer so I don't know if that makes a difference for them with my trade. Finally, I am in Connecticut.

I want the CTS-V badly (I cannot stop thinking about it), but I am not willing to get screwed for it! :)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Club Malibu
05-09-12, 08:42 PM
Hearses don't have luggage racks.

TriTexan
05-09-12, 09:39 PM
$4k down and $900/mo. and only 10k miles per year? Why not buy one outright? Loans are CHEAP right now - you can borrow money for next to nothing. If you can't afford to buy one, maybe you are overextending yourself financially. Not meaning to get into your personal business, but since you asked for advice...the best deal would be to finance one and ask the dealer to work a good rate for you. Many of us got 0% or 0.9% for 36 to 60 months. With nearly free financing, you're likely to come out way better than with a lease.

hombrerojo
05-09-12, 09:50 PM
the monthly payments would be too high to buy one and i am already paying a mortgage. I was also not looking to own the car after the three years, so leasing is the best option for me.

Mike02z
05-09-12, 09:59 PM
Many will tell you they got a better deal but the real question is whether you think it is worth it? That is all that matters. Without knowing the residual no one can really tell you if it is fair deal or not.

When I got my 11 Sedan in April of last year I got 799 per month for 39 months (without tax) w/12k per year. I put 10k down (trade value), and my residual is 25k with the 399 termination fee. The way I see that, I paid a total of 66,560 for my car. It also was a 72k sticker. I think that is a fair deal but I'm sure others have done better. It was worth every penny for me. I will buy the car at the end of the lease but wanted a lower payment for 39 months. I beleive it should be worth more than 25k in another 27 months.

TriTexan
05-09-12, 10:03 PM
Many will tell you they got a better deal but the real question is whether you think it is worth it? That is all that matters. Without knowing the residual no one can really tell you if it is fair deal or not.

I'll second that - YOU have to feel like it is worth it to you alone. Well, I will add that it's important that you can afford it...don't let your car lust get you in trouble financially, that's all.

thebigjimsho
05-09-12, 11:16 PM
the monthly payments would be too high to buy one and i am already paying a mortgage. I was also not looking to own the car after the three years, so leasing is the best option for me.

With 0% financing and nothing down, I'm paying $950 a month. I also financed my sales tax. In less than 2 years, I was right side up and could sell at any time.

DangFoo
05-10-12, 12:03 AM
Unless you run the lease payments through a business, then I'm not convinced that leasing is the way to go. I'm not saying that leases don't make sense in some instances; just that the tax code has changed in recent years and much of the small business incentives, that a lot of folks once enjoyed, are no longer valid. You'll need to do the research based on your own circumstance and posibly consult a CPA/Advisor.

When you say that the dealer is paying-off your VW lease; the reality is that the funds that the dealer is applying to your full payoff/early termination is coming out of the deal. Getting out of a lease early is almost never a winning proposition and this is not my opinion, but that of many financial resources - Google some of the stories and you'll get a sense for real costs. The extra down payment or discount that you would otherwise be getting is now going to pay-off your lease.

I tried terminating a Lease early for a Ford Raptor that I really wanted a few years back. When I explored every angle, the bottom-line was always that I was getting worse than a market deal, because my remaining lease obligation was acting as an anchor or dead weight to the deal.

I'm curious to see if somebody has another angle to where an existing lease can be terminated early and on a clean basis.

TriTexan
05-10-12, 12:04 AM
With 0% financing and nothing down, I'm paying $950 a month. I also financed my sales tax. In less than 2 years, I was right side up and could sell at any time.
And don't forget - if you buy the car, you can deduct the sales tax off your federal income tax in most cases. The entire amount as a tax deduction in year 1. The tax deduction alone is worth a couple grand in your pocket - something to bear in mind.

GM-4-LIFE
05-10-12, 01:22 AM
That's too much monthly on a 10K mile per year lease term.

You may want to contact my sales guy and order the car through him. You will save a good amount of cash.

PM me for his contact info.

LFTW8S
05-10-12, 03:10 AM
And don't forget - if you buy the car, you can deduct the sales tax off your federal income tax in most cases. The entire amount as a tax deduction in year 1. The tax deduction alone is worth a couple grand in your pocket - something to bear in mind.

Is this a business or personal tax item??

----------

Hey guys,

Newbie here trying to get into a new Caddy CTS-V Sedan. I am pretty particular about the one I want. I really want to pull the trigger on a deal I have going but am wondering if I am getting a good deal. Unfortunately, I do not have the residual value that the dealership is working off of but hopefully, you guys can tell me what you think based on the following info:

MSRP: $72,770 (Black diamond, CTS-V Sedan, Ultraview, Recaro) they don't have the graphite wheels which I really want but was considering asking the dealer to add those into the deal ($1880 retail at Cadillac).
Monthly: $898
Down: $4000
Lease Term: 36 Months, 10k miles/year

Is this enough to judge whether or not this is a good deal? I am trading in a 2011 VW GTI currently in a lease, they are paying for the full pay-off amount (looks like I will only have to pay the termination fee of $350). The Caddy dealer I am working with is also a VW dealer so I don't know if that makes a difference for them with my trade. Finally, I am in Connecticut.

I want the CTS-V badly (I cannot stop thinking about it), but I am not willing to get screwed for it! :)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Or...you can dump your GTI at CarMax and buy my 2011 "real black diamond edition" from me for cheap. Perfect condition with 7k miles.

silverstreaker
05-10-12, 04:52 AM
what makes a cts-v a black diamond edition? I did not see that as a build option on Caddilac's website. Also to the person who got 0% financing and a 950/mo payment, GM is not offering that term anymore. its a 3 year max so unless you have $2400/mo to shell out, buying is not an option. I just picked up a new to me cts-v in mint condition with 13K miles for 42K. 3.9% financing for 6 years with a payment of 660/mo. To me, it was the best option because at that mileage and what I paid, I can re-sell at anytime and my payment is less than lease.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-10-12, 10:06 AM
Hi hombrerojo,

Glad to see your excitement about your potentially new Caddy! I hope you're finding the community feedback on prices helpful, and I wanted to let you know that I'm available if you have vehicle questions or would like any information on additional Cadillac dealerships in your area. Email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

LFTW8S
05-10-12, 12:52 PM
what makes a cts-v a black diamond edition? I did not see that as a build option on Caddilac's website. Also to the person who got 0% financing and a 950/mo payment, GM is not offering that term anymore. its a 3 year max so unless you have $2400/mo to shell out, buying is not an option. I just picked up a new to me cts-v in mint condition with 13K miles for 42K. 3.9% financing for 6 years with a payment of 660/mo. To me, it was the best option because at that mileage and what I paid, I can re-sell at anytime and my payment is less than lease.

The BDE was only made in 2011 for a few months. It is a package with BD paint, yellow brakes, recaros, etc... They no longer make the BDE. Any interest in buying mine?

smackdownCTSV
05-10-12, 01:34 PM
The wheels are only an $800 option. You shouldn't pay almost $2000 and not keep the wheels outright.

RippyPartsDept
05-10-12, 01:44 PM
the BDE was special because it was the first year that the BD paint was available and the first year that the graphite wheels where available and the first year that the yellow calipers were available

the only way to get those options was the full BDE package vehicle ... the following year all three special parts (BDpaint, calipers, wheels) were available as individual options

smackdownCTSV
05-10-12, 01:49 PM
Or...you can dump your GTI at CarMax and buy my 2011 "real black diamond edition" from me for cheap. Perfect condition with 7k miles.

The BDE was only made in 2011 for a few months. It is a package with BD paint, yellow brakes, recaros, etc... They no longer make the BDE. Any interest in buying mine?

Since you want to sell it, it might help to post a price.

allinmyhead
05-10-12, 02:12 PM
I personally would never put any money down on a lease; the point of leasing is that you're financing just the depreciation of the car for the term. Take the higher payment and keep the cash. Or put the cash down on a purchase finance. But even then, unless the interest rate is pretty high, I still prefer to take the higher payment and keep the cash liquid. At 2-3% financing I keep the cash.

I ended up leasing mine, being my first GM purchase and with the gas mileage, as much as I'm currently in love with the car I'm not positive I'll be keeping it. That may bite me hard at the end if I do end up wanting to buy it out, as I suspect market value (as long as gas prices hold steady) will be higher than the residual amount. My previous encounters with leasing companies is that they're usually not willing to negotiate the lease buyout unless the market value for the car is significantly lower than the residual.

quikag
05-10-12, 02:36 PM
I feel pretty good about my deal after reading this thread. New '12 CTS-V sedan - white diamond, chrome wheels, recaro, ultraview, midnight maeple trim, sticker was just under $74k.

$6k down (including first month payment) $738/month for remaining 35 payments 15k/miles a year. That's it. Financed through US Banc which apparently has a tax credit deal that basically pays for the sales tax with credits they have available (that's big in TX as you pay sales tax on the entire value of the car at lease inception).

If anyone wants the dealership contacts I worked with in DFW, PM me.

Vwagon2012
05-10-12, 06:20 PM
Try TRUECAR got my best price. Lots of dealers looking to deal. Ordered my 2012 Vagon Sept 8, 2011. Picked it up Nov. 11, 2011 Got 0% for 3 years, May want to wait to get best deal.
Traded in the 2006 Honda Odyssey. Got KBB private seller price from dealer for trade.

LFTW8S
05-11-12, 10:45 AM
Since you want to sell it, it might help to post a price.

$57,000

smackdownCTSV
05-11-12, 10:59 AM
I was expecting cheap.

LFTW8S
05-11-12, 11:36 AM
I was expecting cheap.

What's cheap to you?

smackdownCTSV
05-11-12, 12:30 PM
I just realized you're the same guy that posted this thread. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/258023-whats-my-car-worth.html So, asked and answered. And I'm willing to bet the price you're asking is the price this guy paid for his 2012. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/259586-cts-wee-v2-0-a.html

Mike02z
05-11-12, 12:43 PM
I think 57k is a fair price. Even GM employee discount is higher than 57k on a 12 V.

LFTW8S
05-11-12, 01:22 PM
I just realized you're the same guy that posted this thread. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/258023-whats-my-car-worth.html So, asked and answered. And I'm willing to bet the price you're asking is the price this guy paid for his 2012. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/259586-cts-wee-v2-0-a.html

Ok...I'll bite. Since when does gm sell a new out the box loaded good color combo V for $57k??

smackdownCTSV
05-11-12, 02:17 PM
It's a used 2012. And on paper $57K is a fair deal. But I've been seeing loaded 2011's sell for the low $50K's. 1 in MA, 1 in NJ, 1 in CA, 1 in FL, and 1 in SC.

hombrerojo
05-11-12, 07:27 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I really do want to break in a new CTS-V so I'll stick with new. While I am sure that I will be very happy with the car in the end, I'm not one to not fight for a good/fair deal, I will be kicking my self after. I also don't have any need to hurt my financial situation anymore than I have to. I'll be fine with the deal that I have found so far, but I will definitely be happy with any extra savings I can get. I do have someone that was recommended here looking for one around the country and I just found a couple more close to me exactly as I want it but it has the yellow calipers and that isn't doing it for me, at least not now. I know I'm being very specific but when its this much money, I'm gonna be picky!

smackdownCTSV
05-11-12, 10:21 PM
The yellow calipers look great. If you don't like them, I'm sure many will swap + cash for them.

M5eater
05-11-12, 10:50 PM
Unless you run the lease payments through a business, then I'm not convinced that leasing is the way to go. I'm not saying that leases don't make sense in some instances; just that the tax code has changed in recent years and much of the small business incentives, that a lot of folks once enjoyed, are no longer valid. You'll need to do the research based on your own circumstance and posibly consult a CPA/Advisor.

When you say that the dealer is paying-off your VW lease; the reality is that the funds that the dealer is applying to your full payoff/early termination is coming out of the deal. Getting out of a lease early is almost never a winning proposition and this is not my opinion, but that of many financial resources - Google some of the stories and you'll get a sense for real costs. The extra down payment or discount that you would otherwise be getting is now going to pay-off your lease.

I tried terminating a Lease early for a Ford Raptor that I really wanted a few years back. When I explored every angle, the bottom-line was always that I was getting worse than a market deal, because my remaining lease obligation was acting as an anchor or dead weight to the deal.

I'm curious to see if somebody has another angle to where an existing lease can be terminated early and on a clean basis.
technically I got out of mine nearly scott free 3 years early, however
1) Ally had $6000+ worth of cost-cap reductions when I bought my new one
2) I was leasing a cheaper vehicle by a smige.
3) my payments are structured so that I'll be in a better position to buyout at the end.

I believe all I put down was taxes.