: Just installed new cooling fans??

clucas6308
05-08-12, 07:44 PM
One of the electric cooling fan blades came off and the motor was seized so I ordered new ones and put them in, V03, but they will not turn on. I checked the manual for relay or fuses but not sure what one it is, swapped out some relays I thought it may be but no go.

Subsailor613
05-08-12, 10:17 PM
They are Controlled by engine temp, Turn ON the A/C and wait a few minutes,
they should come "ON" then.
Good Luck !

clucas6308
05-09-12, 06:05 AM
After I installed them I did warm up the engine and ran the A/C on high as I had also just replaced the condensor, previous post, I felt the condensor and it was warm/hot to the touch and I figured it should have turned on. I turned off the A/C and ran it a bit longer and turned it off but they never cam on. I may not be getting hot enough but stories of boiling A/C while not moving make me hesitent. Related or not I noticed my temp gage, after warrmed up, is always one mark below being at the 9 O clock position, I got the car a couple of weeks ago so I am discovering a few things.

Ludacrisvp
05-14-12, 07:32 AM
Related or not I noticed my temp gage, after warrmed up, is always one mark below being at the 9 O clock position, I got the car a couple of weeks ago so I am discovering a few things.
My temp gauge seems to be in that same spot too, note that I have the northstar engine, not sure what motor you have, and mine also has the 'performance cooling' option.
That basically means no electric fans for my car, it has the belt driven fan blade like old school cars and trucks did.
If you are really concerned about it you may be able to convert to the mechanically driven fan.

targetSTS
09-17-13, 02:42 PM
Does anyone could clarify difference between elec cooling fan and belt driven cooling at northstar?
I have V03 COOLING SYSTEM,EXTRA CAPACITY EXTRA CAPACITY CLG(V03) option. As I understand it means additional big engine mounted fan and different radiator fans, maybe some other differences. So does it mean I have belt-driven cooling fan?
What elec cooling fan means? no engine mounted fan?

1BadCadSTS
09-17-13, 04:02 PM
Means you have a clutch fan powered by the accessory belt and 2 outside fans.

Submariner409
09-17-13, 04:11 PM
In this "STS" car, does V03 also mean that the engine has an engine oil cooler in the passenger side radiator tank ? If so, the oil change amount is different than models without V03.

1BadCadSTS
09-17-13, 04:13 PM
In this "STS" car, does V03 also mean that the engine has an engine oil cooler in the passenger side radiator tank ? If so, the oil change amount is different than models without V03.

All STS have oil coolers. I believe the v03 gives external trans and powersteering coolers between the condenser and rad though.

targetSTS
09-17-13, 05:03 PM
Means you have a clutch fan powered by the accessory belt and 2 outside fans.
thanks) so summary:
standard cooling="elec cooling fan"=2 elec fans at radiator
optional coolind="belt-driven cooling"= 1 big engine mounted belt-driven cooling+2 electic fans at the front+additional oil cooling

chazglenn3
09-17-13, 07:15 PM
The 1SG cars also have an additional water pump that the other cars don't have.

Lifer
09-17-13, 08:46 PM
My temp gauge seems to be in that same spot too, note that I have the northstar engine, not sure what motor you have, and mine also has the 'performance cooling' option.
That basically means no electric fans for my car, it has the belt driven fan blade like old school cars and trucks did.
If you are really concerned about it you may be able to convert to the mechanically driven fan.

Never moves above that droopy 9:00 position. Sweet.

Ludacrisvp
09-17-13, 11:25 PM

Just correcting myself ... There are indeed 2 electric fans plus the mechanical fan for cooling.

I wasn't aware of the extra water pump though...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

dannyquest
09-18-13, 12:32 PM
Where is the extra water pump. Thanks, Danny

mjcaddy
09-18-13, 12:46 PM
Where is the extra water pump. Thanks, Danny

I was wondering the same thing, I really need to find time to take all the covers out and see what's what.

PontiacV8
10-16-13, 05:58 AM
standard cooling="elec cooling fan"=2 elec fans at radiator
optional coolind="belt-driven cooling"= 1 big engine mounted belt-driven cooling+2 electic fans at the front+additional oil cooling

...and whats the difference between V03 and the V08 option (V08 - COOLING SYSTEM, HEAVY-DUTY / HEAVY-DUTY COOLING V08 ) on my car?

...ALL european sigma-based export STS (V8 and V6 !) and most of the other overseas exports got the "V08" option instead of a V03 code/option...they all got the V03-like setup with "3-fan-system" (1 engine mounted fan, 2 front mounted electric pusher fans) and the external coolers...
btw...all the "V08" exports also got the RPO-code "V92" (TRAILER PROVISION)...but there is clearly no trailer hitch, wiring or something like that ;)

targetSTS
10-16-13, 07:47 AM
there is one more "same" code V09 COOLING SYSTEM POWERTRAIN, HIGH AMBIENT HIGH AMBIENT POWERTRAIN COOLING(V09) - also 3-fan-system

I think basically they all mean the same, maybe different model year, markets etc.