: Synthetic Oil

DG2
05-08-12, 10:39 AM
I have a 2011 Escalade with the 6.2 liter V8. Are all of you using a synthetic oil or conventional oil in your Escalades ?

MrHolland
05-08-12, 10:53 AM
You will probably find that most people in here either use Mobil or amsoil.

hcvone
05-08-12, 10:55 AM
I have a 2011 Escalade with the 6.2 liter V8. Are all of you using a synthetic oil or conventional oil in your Escalades ?

They come with full synthetic oil throughout from the factory, so everyone is using, and should continue to use synthetic oils. I use Amsoil. :)

DG2
05-08-12, 11:14 AM
Great, thanks

RippyPartsDept
05-08-12, 11:54 AM
2011 and newer Cadillacs come with free maintenance and require Dexos1 oil ( http://gmdexos.com for list of licensed brands )

as far as I understand the Mag. Moss Warranty Act they can require the specific oil since they are giving it away for free with you free services

so i'm a bit confused as to why the OP is asking what kind of oil to use (unless you're already out of the b2b warranty... then it wouldn't really matter)

quattrotman
05-08-12, 11:58 AM
I would never use anything but synthetic oil in any car I own unless it specifically is not recommended. It is far superior to conventional oil and well worth the extra cost IMO.

hcvone
05-08-12, 12:36 PM
I would never use anything but synthetic oil in any car I own unless it specifically is not recommended. It is far superior to conventional oil and well worth the extra cost IMO.

Very true, been using synthetics since 1981, but then again I am older than dirt

----------

2011 and newer Cadillacs come with free maintenance and require Dexos1™ oil ( http://gmdexos.com for list of licensed brands )

as far as I understand the Mag. Moss Warranty Act they can require the specific oil since they are giving it away for free with you free services

so i'm a bit confused as to why the OP is asking what kind of oil to use (unless you're already out of the b2b warranty... then it wouldn't really matter)

Many people buy these trucks used from other than Caddy dealerships, and even some Caddy dealership salespeople do not know about the maintenance, and some like me rather do it ourselves so we know that it was done correctly. :)

RippyPartsDept
05-08-12, 03:25 PM
i understand your point

even though you don't buy it at a cadillac dealer it still has the free maintenance during the bumper to bumper warranty (for 2011+ model years)

if you do decide to do your own oil changes and you have a 2011+ then I would recommend sticking to a dexos1™ just for safety in case there's ever any oil related warranty issues
(the fact that you don't trust your dealer to perform regular maintenance will probably not be enough to get you out of a warranty issue that stemmed from not using dexos oil)

cutterman
05-08-12, 09:07 PM

The owners manual is a worthwhile read. If you didn't get one they are available online.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-09-12, 09:19 AM
Jumping off of Rippy and cutterman's great points, the Engine Oil portion of the 2011 Escalade owners manual should begin on page 10-8. According to the manual, owners should "Use and ask for engine oils with the dexos certification mark. Oils meeting the requirements of the vehicle should have the dexos certification mark on the container."

DG2, if you are unable to locate your manual, you may find this link helpful: http://www.cadillac.com/owners/auto-owners-manuals.html

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

M5eater
05-09-12, 09:23 AM

GF-5(which all oils under the sun conform to) is a pretty tough standard

In which way do you believe they are superior?

SC2150
05-09-12, 10:28 AM
Dexos is a blend....good oil, but if you want the best for your motor ONLY a good full syn period.

RippyPartsDept
05-09-12, 10:43 AM
mobil1 full syn is dexos ... not all dexos oils are blends... but many are

it's not a formulation for the oil its a spec the oil has to pass
(well then there's the licensing ... but that's separate from what we're talking about)

M5eater
05-09-12, 11:17 AM

(well then there's the licensing ... but that's separate from what we're talking about)
is it ground hog day? I feel like you and I were just talking about this.

RippyPartsDept
05-09-12, 12:17 PM
yes apparently it is... i sometimes can't keep threads straight when this kind of thing happens

i'll probably eventually refer to your earlier convo in that other thread as if it was in this thread and then get some :hmm: responses

:)

SC2150
05-09-12, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the clarification!!! I assumed all dexos spec were blends. :thumbsup:

DG2
05-09-12, 10:16 PM
Cutterman, duh ! I am well aware of the owners manual however it does not state to use synthetic oil only. My STS owners manual does and The STS clearly has synthetic oil markers on the engine .

Knowing that the 6.2 little V8 has been around for a long time I was not sure if the dealer was using conventional motor oil. I am glad to learn the new GM oil is synthetic as I always prefer in my cars.

----------

And yes I could have just asked the dealer but look at all the fun we are having on this post ! Lol.

----------

Katie from Cadillac. Thanks for your input. Note to your owners manual authors. If GM recommends the Dexos which is synthetic you should also specify if the motor should only have synthetic oil or can have a blend. Not a big deal but on my current STS and SRX it was clear as day that synthetic only ( Mobil 1 ) was recommended by Cadillac.

MrHolland
05-09-12, 10:26 PM
My 2010 has Mobil 1 synthetic oil on the oil filler cap.

RippyPartsDept
05-10-12, 09:41 AM
DG2,

the owner's manual calls for dexos... which may be full syn or a syn blend ... the important thing is that it's dexos

DG2
05-10-12, 11:42 AM
Gotcha. Thanks for feedback.

RippyPartsDept
05-10-12, 12:13 PM
no prob... just wanted to make it clear

BQuicksilver
05-11-12, 08:24 PM
Synthetic is effectively "slicker" and hence better at the job it was built for. I only use conventional in really cheap cars or in new engines.

If you want to read more than you'd ever want go to bobisthepoilguy.com

I run mobil 0w-40 in all my cars now, but would recommend synthetic of the mfg recommended grade if you're under warranty. The dealer CAN test what oil you're using, and they will before a $10,000+ engine job.