: 2005 STS Denso Nav unit, what to do?

SHANENATAS
05-08-12, 01:03 AM
So I love my 05 STS but the radio is really ass, it's an 05 why isn't there an actual Ipod interface? Has anyone tried updateing the touch screen with a higher quality screen or adding any extra inputs like a usb or HDMI in? Or even replaced the radio with I dunno, something like an 08 Escalade nav unit? I really wish I didn't have factory nav so I could have installed my Pioneer Avic Z130. Has anyone done anything interesting with their nav unit, other than buy the 300$ lockpick box? Thnx for any input.

orange57
05-08-12, 11:58 PM
There was a post recently with someone installing something aftermarket, I think it was an aftermarket nav unit. If it was me, I would do a custom install with an Android Tablet, but i'm pretty content with the Nav for now.

EChas3
05-09-12, 12:06 AM
I don't get your beef. Try some forum searches. You have options.

SHANENATAS
05-09-12, 05:43 PM
There was a post recently with someone installing something aftermarket, I think it was an aftermarket nav unit. If it was me, I would do a custom install with an Android Tablet, but i'm pretty content with the Nav for now.

I was thinking tablet too. Something with a nice touchsceen, but what about all the features ran thru the radio?

----------

I don't get your beef. Try some forum searches. You have options.

Guess I'll have to search harder, I haven't seen anything interesting yet. I would like to keep the factory radio, bu has anyone taken the Denso apart and found out how to sodder in new cnnections or replace the touchscreen maybe? Something with a better picture? I will keep looking. Oh yea and maybe a little reprograming with ipod UI would be sweet, or can I install a newer caddy nav unit?

EChas3
05-09-12, 08:55 PM
You can add features to the Denso using various products. I haven't read anyone actually modifying the existing unit, just using Aux inputs or pirating the XM input.

Should you choose to replace it completely, consider installing your Nav unit it in your trunk.

scott9001
05-10-12, 06:26 PM
the guy that installed the aftermarket nav in his sts moed the factory headunit to the trunk but honestly man check your system out becuase i have the factory unit and it works 100% for me no problems at all is crystal clear and decent bass (that part could be better) the only thing i would do is change the sub to make it perfect. i am picky on my highs and this thing meets my expectations iv had systems in all my other vehicles so i usualy change them! but not this one