: Motor Mounts spontaneously breaking at dealer

612WharfAvenue
05-07-12, 05:44 PM
So I just got off the phone with Lindsay Cadillac. They've had my car for the better part of a month, mostly on some engine repairs. Not the end of the world, everything was covered by my (3rd-party) warranty so I'm only out $50.

But today I hear they've determined upon a test drive that my motor mounts are bad, and the warranty people are balking at paying for labor to replace them since the engine was just out of the car, and frankly I'm inclined to agree. The service advisor's line is that they didn't notice anything wrong with them when the engine was out, but then they put the engine back in and took it for a test drive and all of a sudden they're toast. My take on this is either a) they were busted to begin with and someone made a huge mistake not catching it. or b) they weren't busted before, and they were damaged while the car was being worked on/driven.

Either way, the fact that they'd now want someone to pay for them to go back in and swap 'em when it would have been maybe an extra .5hr while the engine was out seems ridiculous. Am I out of line here? Do mounts go from 100% (or some other high percentage where a tech wouldn't notice a thing wrong with them) to 0% in one test drive? I put this question to the advisor and he went off on some tangent about how the mounts were made of rubber and not like the ones you would find on a chevrolet, but he didn't really have an answer as to how that changed my a/b scenario from above. He said he'd talk to his boss and call me back.

darkman
05-07-12, 06:19 PM
Without commenting on probabilities, the engine mounts in this case are liquid filled and by definition are fully functional right up until the point where they spring a leak - and then they are not.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-08-12, 01:44 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, 612WharfAvenue! Hopefully when you receive a callback, you both can reach a satisfying resolution. Please keep us updated, and don't hesitate to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you'd like me to research the concern further on your behalf.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

CTSV_510
05-08-12, 02:21 PM
That's definitely odd...and Lindsay has seen a lot of V's and knows of the motor mounts issue very well, so I would find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have checked them while the motor was out. Like Darkman said, it is possible that they failed for the first time on the test drive. The removal and re-mounting process of the engine may have been the straw that broke the camels back even though it seems unlikely.

What were they doing that they needed to take the whole motor out? I haven't seen ewill3rd around in a while but I assume he is still working at Lindsay there and may be able to help you.

perfect
05-08-12, 08:42 PM
Lindsay is a very reputable (if not THE most reputable) dealership to V owners on this board. They treat us well, always have. If they're calling it a "spade" than it's a "spade".

RADEoN
05-08-12, 10:32 PM
I guess in theory, if you hammered on the mount (that was on it's last leg, anyway) too much with an impact gun, then it could pop. The top of the mount can dry out and the top part starts pulling out, and becomes rotatable with just your hands, and that's how you know it's bad. I mean I don't know the extent of the work performed, but it's performed the mounts were never removed from the bottom of the block, or from the cradle it bolts into, so I guess the excessive force from being angled and pried to fit could pop one, as well.

And I've never had any experiences with the service dept of lindsay, but I do know the parts department is awesome, that being said, the dealerships job is to make money...

ichpen
05-09-12, 09:55 AM
Worse comes to worse, you can replace the mounts from under the car, it's an hour of labour for the creative mechanic and no you don't need to undo much to push the motor up by an inch and a bit. As darkman mentioned being oil filled they can in theory go at any time. Once they do it's pretty easy to spot though unless they're completely sheared it'll take time for you to notice once they start leaking.

OneFast V
05-09-12, 04:36 PM
Worse comes to worse, you can replace the mounts from under the car, it's an hour of labour for the creative mechanic and no you don't need to undo much to push the motor up by an inch and a bit. As darkman mentioned being oil filled they can in theory go at any time. Once they do it's pretty easy to spot though unless they're completely sheared it'll take time for you to notice once they start leaking.
You must be a good mechanic with small hands. It took me 3 hours due to the tight spaces I had to contorted my hands in. Theoretically its just un screwing some bolts but the access to those bolts while on Your back is difficult.

RippyPartsDept
05-09-12, 04:47 PM
BTW, ewill left lindsay last year for a service writing position elsewhere (closer to home i think, plus no more bloody knuckles)

he still comes around here from time to time, but is definitely missed

612WharfAvenue
05-17-12, 07:13 PM
So, as a follow up (didn't realize these last 5 or so replies came in...thought I'd turned emails on for the thread), they ended up taking care of the labor on the mounts. I picked up the car last friday and it sounds/rides great.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-18-12, 11:41 AM
So, as a follow up (didn't realize these last 5 or so replies came in...thought I'd turned emails on for the thread), they ended up taking care of the labor on the mounts. I picked up the car last friday and it sounds/rides great.

That's wonderful! Thanks for the update. I'm glad your V is back in order and hope you have a great weekend.

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service