: 2013 Cadillac ATS Priced from $33,990

Lord Cadillac
05-07-12, 11:51 AM
New luxury sport sedan launches this summer

DETROIT: The all-new, rear-wheel-drive Cadillac ATS compact luxury sport sedan with a fuel-efficient 2.5L engine and next-generation six-speed transmission will be priced starting at $33,990, including destination charges. Highway fuel economy will be well over 30 mpg.

"The ATS enters a vehicle segment this year that's one of the most competitive in the market, from both a price and performance standpoint" said Don Butler, vice president of Cadillac Marketing. "ATS will bring a distinctive presence and compelling value while offering quick, nimble, fun-to-drive dynamics that will appeal to the lifestyles of modern luxury buyers and challenge the segment's status quo."

A mid-level model with a lightweight and powerful 2.0L turbocharged engine costs $35,795 including destination and will offer automatic and manual transmissions, and rear- or all-wheel drive.

Topping the engine range is a 3.6L V-6 with a preliminary rating of 320 horsepower, costing $42,090 including destination with an automatic transmission and standard content that includes CUE, leather 8-way power seats with memory, adaptive start and more. All-wheel drive will be available.

A full breakdown of availability and pricing of packages and options will be available later.

ATS goes on sale this summer, but already the new sport sedan is positively impacting Lansing, Mich., where more than 440 new employees have been hired at Cadillac's Lansing Grand River plant where the ATS will be assembled. A total of 600 new employees are expected to be part of Cadillac's $190 million investment in the facility.

A dedicated engineering team has traveled the globe refining and advancing the ATS to meet customer demands. The addition of advanced materials has reduced curb weight to less than 3,400 pounds, more than 100 pounds less than an Audi A4 or Mercedes-Benz C250.

Time spent at premier race tracks around the globe, including Road America, Road Atlanta, Phoenix International Raceway and the Nürburgring in Germany has enhanced the ATS' sporty ride and handling and engine tuning. The 3.6L model is expected to have a 0-60 mph acceleration time of well below six seconds.

Cadillac's new CUE user interface, standard on most ATS models, offers the first automotive use of capacitive touch to create an intuitive, modern way for drivers to interact with the car. This technology, used for most smartphones and tablet computers, uses electrodes to sense the conductive properties of objects, such as a finger.

quotes fixed, you're welcome -JH

Loveldos
05-07-12, 02:05 PM
It sounds like an appropriate pricing scheme for the fabulous ATS model! I think this car is great! I'm anxious to see it/sit in it. It's the first choice for my next new car.

Here's a link to the GM announcement: http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/May/0507_ats

RippyPartsDept
05-07-12, 02:39 PM
seems like you need to do a find and replace on that ’ (html special character)

rand49er
05-07-12, 04:55 PM
If the 2.5L is expected to get well over 30 MPG hwy, then the 2.0T ought to come pretty close to that, maybe even better it.

thebigjimsho
05-07-12, 05:21 PM
I can't wait to drive a 2.0T w/ manual...

EnvoyBu
05-07-12, 08:51 PM
Well, this is for sure my next car, but V6 for me though.

If the 2.5L is expected to get well over 30 MPG hwy, then the 2.0T ought to come pretty close to that, maybe even better it.

Greetings rand49er, by any chance, do you know if the 3.6L will do 0-60 in the low 5's? The PR said well under 6, so I was wondering if it was around 5 flat or so.

RippyPartsDept
05-08-12, 11:38 AM
so apparently GM Authority has sources saying that a 2.8L diesel (duramax rebranded) will also eventually power the ATS
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/05/2-8l-duramax-diesel-bound-for-cadillac-ats/

Lord Cadillac
05-08-12, 01:46 PM
Well, this is for sure my next car, but V6 for me though.

Greetings rand49er, by any chance, do you know if the 3.6L will do 0-60 in the low 5's? The PR said well under 6, so I was wondering if it was around 5 flat or so.

If GM is saying "well under 6 seconds" I don't think that means 5 seconds flat. Expect 5.4 - 5.6...

BlackShadow
05-08-12, 07:57 PM
WOW! How cool would that be? I'm a big fan of the ATS. Can't wait to see the real thing. I saw it at the Phila Auto Show, but you couldn't touch it. I can't wait to drive one (with at least the 2.0T or the V6), but put a oil burner in it, with good 0-60 times and outstanding fuel mileage, and I may have found my '09 CTS replacement.....and I love my CTS. Hey GM, are you listening???

EnvoyBu
05-08-12, 09:11 PM
Well, it looks like an ATS 3.6L Premium is in my future.

If GM is saying "well under 6 seconds" I don't think that means 5 seconds flat. Expect 5.4 - 5.6...

That sucks then. :(

If a 3800+ lb. Camaro can do 0-60 in 5.6, the ATS should be at least half a second quicker to me.

RippyPartsDept
05-09-12, 11:27 AM
what engine is in that camaro?

bruff1977
05-09-12, 03:09 PM
Just read that the XTS will come with an iPad... ATS buyers should get one also, if you check the box for CUE (or purchase the 3.6 ATS).

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/09/2013-cadillac-xts-to-come-standard-with-ipad/

Maybe with a nice Cadillac leather case??

ddawson
05-09-12, 05:08 PM
This is just too good.

EnvoyBu
05-09-12, 08:47 PM
what engine is in that camaro?

The 3.6L V6.

rand49er
05-09-12, 11:33 PM
... Greetings rand49er, by any chance, do you know if the 3.6L will do 0-60 in the low 5's? The PR said well under 6, so I was wondering if it was around 5 flat or so.Lord Cadillac is probably spot on. I'd say mid 5 sec which is doggone quick.

so apparently GM Authority has sources saying that a 2.8L diesel (duramax rebranded) will also eventually power the ATS
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/05/2-8l-duramax-diesel-bound-for-cadillac-ats/That's a huge amount of torque for around town driving. Gotta be 40+ Hwy mileage, too.

Check out this Chrysler claim for their 300c with a 3.0L oil burner: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/262667/

EnvoyBu
05-09-12, 11:44 PM
Lord Cadillac is probably spot on. I'd say mid 5 sec which is doggone quick.

Quick? Yes. Good enough? No.

The 335i can and do 0-60 in the high 4's and usually falls in the lower 5's. Same with the G37 and IS350. If anything, I'd want the car to be at least as fast as the IS350, which I have a feeling it will be. Hell, a Malibu/Aura V6 can and has done 0-60 in the upper 5's, and those weight 3,700 lbs and have only 252 HP. I hope the ATS can at least do it in 5.3 seconds.

rand49er
05-10-12, 10:11 AM
Quick? Yes. Good enough? No. ...Whoa ... I'm just guessing, and I'm just guessing on the conservative side, too. Let's wait till next October or so when actual numbers come out. Who knows, maybe you'll get your wish and everybody wins. I haven't committed to memory all the claimed HP and claimed curb weights nor axle ratios and other gearing to do a paper comparison, but I'd be glad to read it if someone posted it all or provided links.

If the ATS-V does indeed come out with over 400 hp (let's hope it's significantly over 400 hp), it should go mid 4 sec maybe a touch below that.

Lord Cadillac
05-10-12, 02:38 PM
Nobody is really sure what the 3.6 liter ATS is going to weigh at the moment. I doubt it's 3400 pounds. I'm guessing it'll be closer to 3600. While I "personally" feel Cadillac should have gone after the BMW 335i with this car and get closer to a 4.8 - 5.0 0-60, I'm satisfied that it's at least on the same level as the Infiniti G37 - which is a hot selling car. Cadillac doesn't need to "top" the 3-Series to have a winner with the ATS. Where the ATS will outshine the 3-Series is with the interior - which is going to be a very nice place to spend time...

That sucks then. :(

If a 3800+ lb. Camaro can do 0-60 in 5.6, the ATS should be at least half a second quicker to me.

----------

Quick? Yes. Good enough? No.

The 335i can and do 0-60 in the high 4's and usually falls in the lower 5's. Same with the G37 and IS350. If anything, I'd want the car to be at least as fast as the IS350, which I have a feeling it will be. Hell, a Malibu/Aura V6 can and has done 0-60 in the upper 5's, and those weight 3,700 lbs and have only 252 HP. I hope the ATS can at least do it in 5.3 seconds.

We have a difference in opinion here. Is 5.4 - 5.6 good enough? Yes. BUT - is that what we want Cadillac to be? "Good enough"? Maybe that should be Cadillac's new tagline... "Cadillac! Good enough!"

When all is said and done, this is the first generation of the ATS and Cadillac will build on it. Sales from the ATS and XTS are going to bring Cadillac to the next level where they can really compete with the top tier brands with all their models. Personally, I think they're doing an excellent job without having all the needed tools. I would have loved to see the ATS beat the 3-Series / 335i in all regards but that's a feat no brand has been able to accomplish. So to me - Cadillac has done "good enough". And I have little doubt they're only going to improve on their products in the near future.

EnvoyBu
05-10-12, 04:00 PM
Whoa ... I'm just guessing, and I'm just guessing on the conservative side, too. Let's wait till next October or so when actual numbers come out. Who knows, maybe you'll get your wish and everybody wins. I haven't committed to memory all the claimed HP and claimed curb weights nor axle ratios and other gearing to do a paper comparison, but I'd be glad to read it if someone posted it all or provided links.

If the ATS-V does indeed come out with over 400 hp (let's hope it's significantly over 400 hp), it should go mid 4 sec maybe a touch below that.

Sorry if I came out a bit touchy. :p

I just hope the 3.6L is just as fast as the G37. That should be the benchmark for the 3.6L to hit.

Nobody is really sure what the 3.6 liter ATS is going to weigh at the moment. I doubt it's 3400 pounds. I'm guessing it'll be closer to 3600. While I "personally" feel Cadillac should have gone after the BMW 335i with this car and get closer to a 4.8 - 5.0 0-60, I'm satisfied that it's at least on the same level as the Infiniti G37 - which is a hot selling car. Cadillac doesn't need to "top" the 3-Series to have a winner with the ATS. Where the ATS will outshine the 3-Series is with the interior - which is going to be a very nice place to spend time...

It has a power to weight ratio of 10.8 lbs/HP, so 321(10.8) = 3,467 lbs.

It should be at least as fast as the G37 IMHO.

We have a difference in opinion here. Is 5.4 - 5.6 good enough? Yes. BUT - is that what we want Cadillac to be? "Good enough"? Maybe that should be Cadillac's new tagline... "Cadillac! Good enough!"

When all is said and done, this is the first generation of the ATS and Cadillac will build on it. Sales from the ATS and XTS are going to bring Cadillac to the next level where they can really compete with the top tier brands with all their models. Personally, I think they're doing an excellent job without having all the needed tools. I would have loved to see the ATS beat the 3-Series / 335i in all regards but that's a feat no brand has been able to accomplish. So to me - Cadillac has done "good enough". And I have little doubt they're only going to improve on their products in the near future.

Standard of the world means best in class in everything. :p

5.4-5.6 seconds is where the 2.0T should be at, especially since its going to fight directly against the 328i in every aspect. XTS is a raging bargain though...

RippyPartsDept
05-10-12, 06:02 PM
"Standard of the World" was so 2009...

i like the new tagline: "We don't just make luxury cars, we make Cadillacs"

I think they brought back the SotW slogan when the 2009 CTSV hit the market (so really sometime in 2008), and probably because it was the 100 year anniversary of the Dewar Trophy win
(which is where that comes from - they were the first american company to win and so they cooked up the ad slogan "Standard of the World" ... marketing genious decades ahead of it's time).

sources:
http://www.randomhistory.com/2009/01/21_cadillac.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewar_Trophy

and IMHO technically Cadillac can do whatever they want with that slogan since they originated it way back then in the first place

it's not like another car company can (or should) come along and try to claim that they are the "Standard of the World"
that would be akin to Reebok'e next ad campaign slogan being "Just Do It"

JimmyH
05-11-12, 02:17 PM
The vast majority of ATS buyers, like the vast majority of BMW buyers, won't care what the 0-60 time is. I would be willing to bet nearly every 335i owner bought it over 328i simply because it's the top of the line. They likely have no idea what the performance characteristic of the car is.

It doesn't matter what Cadillac does with the ATS. NO ONE will ever dethrone the 3-series. An ATS that does 0-60 in 4.0 sec, corners at 1g, and costing $30k won't do it. The car magazines will never let that happen. They will find something to hang on it that keeps it from being the class leader.

EnvoyBu
05-11-12, 04:30 PM
The vast majority of ATS buyers, like the vast majority of BMW buyers, won't care what the 0-60 time is. I would be willing to bet nearly every 335i owner bought it over 328i simply because it's the top of the line. They likely have no idea what the performance characteristic of the car is.

It doesn't matter what Cadillac does with the ATS. NO ONE will ever dethrone the 3-series. An ATS that does 0-60 in 4.0 sec, corners at 1g, and costing $30k won't do it. The car magazines will never let that happen. They will find something to hang on it that keeps it from being the class leader.

Normally, I'd agree with you here, but considering all the smack GM has spewed about how well this car performs, I expect class leading numbers, and even more so considering that this car doesn't undercut the price of the competition in any way, shape, or form. It's a compelling choice, but if its performance isn't there, why buy it over the well established competition, namely the 3 series, which, in 2.0T form, is the exact same price? If this car isn't faster, can't handle better, or can't brake better than the 328i, there is no point in launching this car. A good step to make it match up with the 3 series from a selling standpoint is adding a desperately needed 8 speed transmission, which this car needed from day one. Better yet, an 8 speed DCT automatic. I understand bankruptcy affected the 8 speed's development but still, they need it ASAP. Hopefully it'll launch on the 2014 CTS, and find its way into the ATS in 2014 as well.

JimmyH
05-11-12, 04:38 PM
An 8-speed just means more expensive repair bills for those of us who keep cars past the warranty. Cars have gotten complicated enough. I wish they would start dialing it back a little. What's next? 10-speed transmissions? Holographic infotainment systems?

RippyPartsDept
05-11-12, 05:46 PM
these are luxury performance cars (or performance luxury cars) ... if the cadillac is more luxurious and just about as sporting then there's a lot who will be swayed just by the looks (exterior, interior, technology - like magneride, etc)

of course some will only care about the appendage measuring game and there is no measuring stick for luxury - it's too subjective
but there is a measuring stick for HP/TQ ... 0-60 ... 1/4 mile ... lateral g's ... how many gears your transmission has... how much the car cost even.... and on and on

now as I see it, if the ATS 3.6L can come close enough to the 335i in the performance comparison and overpass in the luxury/tech comparison then they really will have a hit

and to tell you the truth - i'd rather not be associated with those who only care about the appendage measuring game... they tend to be unpleasant people in general

----------

after i typed that all out the slogan ran across my mind

Cadillac's new one liner is: "We don't just make luxury cars, we make Cadillacs"

BMW is the "Ultimate Driving Machine"

those two slogans really do put into perspective the difference between the two companies with respect to who they are marketing their vehicles towards

the way i boil it down is like this: one is claiming it's the best while the other is claiming it's in a class of it's own
basically that to me is the same strategic message ... BMW's is a bit more direct and focused on performance ... Cadillac's is a bit subtle and focused on luxury

now i'm not really sure what my point was... but i guess it was going to be something about how this is all speculation and the auto mags will be the true arbiters
lets just wait and see

gohawks63
05-11-12, 06:12 PM
Normally, I'd agree with you here, but considering all the smack GM has spewed about how well this car performs, I expect class leading numbers, and even more so considering that this car doesn't undercut the price of the competition in any way, shape, or form. It's a compelling choice, but if its performance isn't there, why buy it over the well established competition, namely the 3 series, which, in 2.0T form, is the exact same price? If this car isn't faster, can't handle better, or can't brake better than the 328i, there is no point in launching this car. A good step to make it match up with the 3 series from a selling standpoint is adding a desperately needed 8 speed transmission, which this car needed from day one. Better yet, an 8 speed DCT automatic. I understand bankruptcy affected the 8 speed's development but still, they need it ASAP. Hopefully it'll launch on the 2014 CTS, and find its way into the ATS in 2014 as well.

The only car that has come even close to dethroning the 3 series is the Infiniti G35.

JimmyH
05-11-12, 07:30 PM
The first gen G35. The current G35 is a Lexus in BMW clothing.

EnvoyBu
05-11-12, 10:13 PM
An 8-speed just means more expensive repair bills for those of us who keep cars past the warranty. Cars have gotten complicated enough. I wish they would start dialing it back a little. What's next? 10-speed transmissions? Holographic infotainment systems?

I'll have the respectfully disagree here, JimmyH. ZF's 8 speed, IMHO, is miles better in both reliability and quality than GM's own Hydramatic 6 speed. But, in general, you are right, more parts = more repairs.

The only car that has come even close to dethroning the 3 series is the Infiniti G35.

The first gen G35. The current G35 is a Lexus in BMW clothing.

I agree with JimmyH here.

thebigjimsho
05-12-12, 04:18 PM

Audi A4 has.

----------

You and your hysterical conspiracy theories. They're wrong.

----------

As for performance numbers, the manual 2.0T will be the charmer...

TheCaptain
05-20-12, 12:53 PM
Did somebody say holographic infotainment systems? :D

EChas3
05-20-12, 11:44 PM
Audi has its fans but Beamers still outsell in the status market around here.

blkcaddy
05-29-12, 11:35 PM
Who cares about any motor bigger than the 2.5? Why would you need anything bigger? Your not going to tow anything with it! Your not going to race it unless on a track! Why does anyone care how fast the car goes from 0-60? I'm seriously curious about why everyone on here is so fascinated by wanting v-8's and superchargers and turbos! Why do you care if you can go 150 mph.....you're never going to for various reasons if your smart. If we lived in a land of no speed laws or public safety then I would totally understand and would want all those things too! I think 2.5 with 202 hp at less then 3400 lbs is plenty and anything more is a waste of money! Unless you have money to waste! I also don't understand why they aren't making the performance or platinum version of the 2.5? Kinda dumb when 70% of the buyers are gonna buy the 2.5 version anyways! The 2.0T is overrated....just one more thing (turbos go out and aren't cheap) to replace and 68 hp you don't need. If your getting anything bigger than the 2.5 your just feeding your ego! You might slightly pass me on the street with your turbo but I'll be passing you while your wasting your time and money at the gas station! And well both get from A to B at the same time!

EnvoyBu
05-29-12, 11:54 PM
^ Nah, us fast drivers would drive faster, and you'd get caught at a light, so we'd get there first. :D

TheCaptain
05-30-12, 12:40 AM
Besides, some of us would put it on a track, and do have "space" to go 260 kph! :D

bmcleod
05-30-12, 09:40 PM
So I noticed the "Build Your ATS" disappeared from the web site, I imagine things are still changing. In this talk of engines would you expect the AWD to limit you to a specific engine? If so what might the MPG hit be from the advertised "over 30"?

(hopefully the "Holographic Infotainment System" won't won't weigh things down too much because I'd certainly want that :~)

EnvoyBu
05-31-12, 07:49 AM
So I noticed the "Build Your ATS" disappeared from the web site, I imagine things are still changing. In this talk of engines would you expect the AWD to limit you to a specific engine? If so what might the MPG hit be from the advertised "over 30"?

(hopefully the "Holographic Infotainment System" won't won't weigh things down too much because I'd certainly want that :~)

I never saw the "Build Your Own ATS" option on the Cadillac website. Was it there? I do know it was on cars.com though.

investor74
05-31-12, 07:52 AM
I'm definitely interested in the 2.5L myself. The 202 hp is almost identical to my Catera which I have enjoyed the past 16 years, but the ATS is much lighter. Also, my Saab 9-3 has 210 hp (turbo) and both my wife and I think that car is very responsive. I think the 2.5L is definitely worth a test drive before settling on the 2.0T.

HansK
05-31-12, 01:14 PM
Who cares about any motor bigger than the 2.5? Why would you need anything bigger? Your not going to tow anything with it! Your not going to race it unless on a track! Why does anyone care how fast the car goes from 0-60? I'm seriously curious about why everyone on here is so fascinated by wanting v-8's and superchargers and turbos! Why do you care if you can go 150 mph.....you're never going to for various reasons if your smart. If we lived in a land of no speed laws or public safety then I would totally understand and would want all those things too! I think 2.5 with 202 hp at less then 3400 lbs is plenty and anything more is a waste of money! Unless you have money to waste! I also don't understand why they aren't making the performance or platinum version of the 2.5? Kinda dumb when 70% of the buyers are gonna buy the 2.5 version anyways! The 2.0T is overrated....just one more thing (turbos go out and aren't cheap) to replace and 68 hp you don't need. If your getting anything bigger than the 2.5 your just feeding your ego! You might slightly pass me on the street with your turbo but I'll be passing you while your wasting your time and money at the gas station! And well both get from A to B at the same time!

I can understand where YOU'RE coming from, but the people who want large engines don't share YOUR priorities. I, for one, like to be able to merge quickly and get to speed with a very fast response from the engine. Just because YOUR priorities for the car don't involve a good engine or being quick at all doesn't mean everyone should feel the same way. We want the option. It also makes sense to give the option because people are drawn to top end power and end up buying lower engines. YOU'RE going to drive the way YOU'RE going to drive, I still feel my 3.6 CTS doesn't quite have enough power.

bmcleod
05-31-12, 02:00 PM
I never saw the "Build Your Own ATS" option on the Cadillac website. Was it there? I do know it was on cars.com though.

I'm pretty sure it was on the Cadillac site a month or two ago. I tried to use it but almost every choice I made negated some other choice I'd made.

AK Goat
05-31-12, 08:30 PM

People obviously have different priorities when it comes to transportation. For me, I don't know what it is about the extra ponies. Guess it's the "smile" factor when I push on the loud pedal. My 2005 GTO came with only one choice of engine; 6.0L, 400hp. Does it need all that HP to haul groceries? Nope. But getting groceries is a lot of fun in that car. If I wanted something just to get me point to point I would buy a Prius or something. BTW, I have had two turbo cars and a supercharged car and never had engine issues with any of them. I still own the supercharged one that now has about 100,000 miles on it. For a given displacement, the negative MPG impact of forced induction is little or nothing.

Current cars:

2011 Buick Lacrosse CXL V-6
2010 Toyota RAV4 V-6 sport
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 V-8, manual
2000 Pontiac GTP 3.8L V-6 (supercharged)

EnvoyBu
05-31-12, 10:07 PM
I'm definitely interested in the 2.5L myself. The 202 hp is almost identical to my Catera which I have enjoyed the past 16 years, but the ATS is much lighter. Also, my Saab 9-3 has 210 hp (turbo) and both my wife and I think that car is very responsive. I think the 2.5L is definitely worth a test drive before settling on the 2.0T.

I doubt it'll be as peppy. The 9-3 has a lot more torque.

I'm pretty sure it was on the Cadillac site a month or two ago. I tried to use it but almost every choice I made negated some other choice I'd made.

Interesting. I check daily, and I never noticed it.

thebigjimsho
06-03-12, 12:03 PM
Who needs a small luxury car? Why do you need luxury? Luxury is overrated. You can get economy and comfort from a Hyundai Elantra or Chevy Cruise. With better economy. Or get a Sonic or Fiesta. Hell, get a Smart FourTwo if you want to be a minimalist douchebag. It'll get you from point A to your hellhole.

Make sure to get a moonroof delete. Don't think your head will fit otherwise...

JimmyH
06-03-12, 01:38 PM
Don't think your head will fit otherwise...

http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/funny/potkettle.jpg

thebigjimsho
06-03-12, 03:08 PM
Son, I am disappoint.

blkcaddy
06-03-12, 08:42 PM
Who needs a small luxury car? Why do you need luxury? Luxury is overrated. You can get economy and comfort from a Hyundai Elantra or Chevy Cruise. With better economy. Or get a Sonic or Fiesta. Hell, get a Smart FourTwo if you want to be a minimalist douchebag. It'll get you from point A to your hellhole.

Make sure to get a moonroof delete. Don't think your head will fit otherwise...

I thought that would get your panties in a bunch. Im still gonna get the ats in the 2.5 liter cause I think it's a beautiful car and I need to use it everyday. You have fun with your gas guzzling cts-v that you only drive on Sunday's! For now I'll let you get back to your recliner so you can finish that 12 pack of coors light.

thebigjimsho
06-03-12, 11:19 PM
Well, since you're just full of dung, I'll let you get back to trollin'...

EnvoyBu
06-04-12, 12:28 AM
Why can't we just respect others opinions? If someone likes something, you don't need to try to convince them to like what you like. This isn't politics or religion. :halo:

thebigjimsho
06-04-12, 02:10 AM
Oh, and the 2.0T is smaller than the 2.5

blkcaddy
06-04-12, 03:06 PM
Right on.

NHRATA01
06-05-12, 10:45 AM

Because not all of us are appliance buyers. People are actually *gasp* driving enthusiasts, and like pep in their sport sedan. And there's no way the 2.5 is going to have a 70% take rate. I bet it ends up closer to 15-20%.

blkcaddy
06-05-12, 12:19 PM
Knock knock....anybody in there?!

JimmyH
06-05-12, 07:18 PM
I am starting to lose some of my driving enthusiasm. It's difficult to drive enthusiastically anywhere in Chicagoland.

EnvoyBu
06-05-12, 09:00 PM
I am starting to lose some of my driving enthusiasm. It's difficult to drive enthusiastically anywhere in Chicagoland.

Why?

JimmyH
06-05-12, 09:06 PM
Too many other cars in the way. They have alot of nerve.

EnvoyBu
06-06-12, 12:19 AM

I do know from experience that in Downtown Chicago, your right. I'm not sure about the residential areas however.

rand49er
06-06-12, 10:39 AM
Just look at how close the houses are together. You can barely get a piece of paper between many of them, and if each has one or two cars, there's the problem.

Good thing they have mass transit systems or it'd be worse.

thebigjimsho
06-06-12, 04:58 PM
Because not all of us are appliance buyers. People are actually *gasp* driving enthusiasts, and like pep in their sport sedan. And there's no way the 2.5 is going to have a 70% take rate. I bet it ends up closer to 15-20%.

I disagree. I would say the Lexus IS250 has a buy rate of about 80%. Since the ATS will be an actual sport sedan worth a damn, I'd guess the 2.5 will be about 50-60% of the total, with the 2.0T and 3.6 splitting the difference, +/- 10%.

Lord Cadillac
06-06-12, 05:52 PM

You're so stupid. It's because you're always driving in rush hour traffic. If you'd just quit your job and drive during other times, you'd have far more opportunities to enjoy your vehicle.

JimmyH
06-06-12, 07:37 PM
That whole job thing is really cramping my style. I am still waiting, GM, for you to comp me my ATS. I promise, I will be on this forum every day pimping it.

rand49er
06-06-12, 10:43 PM
You're so stupid. It's because you're always driving in rush hour traffic. If you'd just quit your job and drive during other times, you'd have far more opportunities to enjoy your vehicle.Sunday morning, later in the evening, it just doesn't matter. Chicago driving sucks. Add some snow and ... :canttalk:

EnvoyBu
06-07-12, 12:14 AM
I disagree. I would say the Lexus IS250 has a buy rate of about 80%. Since the ATS will be an actual sport sedan worth a damn, I'd guess the 2.5 will be about 50-60% of the total, with the 2.0T and 3.6 splitting the difference, +/- 10%.

No. The volume engine will be the 2.0T, and that's by FAR. The 2.5L is available in RWD ONLY forms of ATS Base and Luxury trims. The 2.0T is available on everything and is cheaper than the 3.6L.

thebigjimsho
06-09-12, 12:33 AM
I don't see how the cheapest model isn't the most popular. If Cadillac is planning on the 2.0T selling the most, they're stupid.

rand49er
06-09-12, 10:05 AM
... The volume engine will be the 2.0T, and that's by FAR. ...If that's the case, why would they be coming out with the 2.5 first? No, the 2.5 will be the highest volume motor.

JimmyH
06-09-12, 01:22 PM
I have noticed that most CTS I see, do not have the 3.6 badge. so it's safe to assume the base motor will be the volume seller.

EnvoyBu
06-10-12, 09:02 PM
I don't see how the cheapest model isn't the most popular. If Cadillac is planning on the 2.0T selling the most, they're stupid.

How so?

If that's the case, why would they be coming out with the 2.5 first? No, the 2.5 will be the highest volume motor.

I disagree. The 2.5L will NOT have an AWD option, and it's only on the two lowest trim levels. 2.5L is first since the 2.0T isn't emission certified yet, and they're also making some last minute refinements on it as well. The 3.6L V6 is production limited from what I've heard. 2.0T will be the highest seller, and I'll bet all of you an internet cookie it will be. :)

I have noticed that most CTS I see, do not have the 3.6 badge. so it's safe to assume the base motor will be the volume seller.

Remove the AWD option from the CTS 3.0L models and watch sales plummet. Look at the ratio of how many "CTS4"'s there are compared to "CTS"'s.

rand49er
06-11-12, 10:08 AM
... I'll bet all of you an internet cookie it will be. :) ...You're on!

I'll take e-oatmeal, thank you.

EnvoyBu
06-11-12, 05:36 PM
You're on!

I'll take e-oatmeal, thank you.

Deal! Do you like it sweetened?

bmcleod
06-12-12, 02:10 AM
No. The volume engine will be the 2.0T, and that's by FAR. The 2.5L is available in RWD ONLY forms of ATS Base and Luxury trims. The 2.0T is available on everything and is cheaper than the 3.6L.

Are you implying the 2.0T will be available with AWD? I had thought only the 3.6 would offer AWD.

EnvoyBu
06-12-12, 04:37 AM
Are you implying the 2.0T will be available with AWD? I had thought only the 3.6 would offer AWD.

Yup. 2.0T can be had with AWD. I believe your thinking that the 2.0T isn't available with AWD when the manual is ordered. But yes, automatic 2.0T's can be had with AWD.

rand49er
06-12-12, 10:29 AM
Someone on the GMinsidenews forum was going on and on about GM being stupid to not offer AWD and a manual trans together. I won't be that harsh, but an AWD/MT offering would be really nice to see.

My '04 X-Type Jaguar was equipped with a 2.5L V6, 5-spd MT, and AWD ... worked great, BUT it was absolutely inadvisable to rev it and drop the clutch as all kinds of things were apt to break. Could this be what GM is concerned about?

RippyPartsDept
06-12-12, 11:09 AM
Someone on the GMinsidenews forum was going on and on about GM being stupid to not offer AWD and a manual trans together. I won't be that harsh, but an AWD/MT offering would be really nice to see.

My '04 X-Type Jaguar was equipped with a 2.5L V6, 5-spd MT, and AWD ... worked great, BUT it was absolutely inadvisable to rev it and drop the clutch as all kinds of things were apt to break. Could this be what GM is concerned about?

smart money is on 'yes'

JimmyH
06-12-12, 04:13 PM
I rather think they just don't want to spend R&D money on a drivetrain combo that only a few thousand people (if that) are going to buy. Enthusiasts are the only ones who want a manual, and most of us are not going to want AWD anyway.

How many cars are available with manual and AWD anyway? The 3series? The 911? Subaru STi? those are the only ones I can think of.
Eventually, the standard transmission is going to go away. I just hope it waits to die until after I do.

rand49er
06-13-12, 09:45 AM
... Eventually, the standard transmission is going to go away. I just hope it waits to die until after I do.rand49er likes this

ral1960
06-13-12, 02:14 PM
... Eventually, the standard transmission is going to go away. I just hope it waits to die until after I do.

rand49er likes this
Hmm... Rand49er wants you to go soon?

JimmyH
06-13-12, 02:23 PM
Yup. He's still upset with me because I overslept and didn't meet him at the NAIAS meet.

bmcleod
06-13-12, 07:32 PM
Yup. 2.0T can be had with AWD. I believe your thinking that the 2.0T isn't available with AWD when the manual is ordered. But yes, automatic 2.0T's can be had with AWD.

Nice to know, thanks! I don't need manual but do want AWD to avoid chains for my frequent ski trips.

Just downloaded the CUE iPad app and watched all the videos, pretty cool, but wish they would make some with the ATS display (if you have AppleTV you can watch the whole thing on the big screen!)

rand49er
06-14-12, 12:42 AM
Yup. He's still upset with me because I overslept and didn't meet him at the NAIAS meet.You WISH it was overslept. More like over hang-overed. :thepan:

EnvoyBu
06-14-12, 12:02 PM
You guy do NAIAS meets? I want in next time! :)

JimmyH
06-14-12, 02:47 PM
You WISH it was overslept. More like over hang-overed. :thepan:

lil bit

thebigjimsho
06-14-12, 11:52 PM
You WISH it was overslept. More like over hang-overed. :thepan:

Jimmeh is a lightweight.

JimmyH
06-15-12, 02:18 PM
I am not. I just REALLY like to sleep.

NHRATA01
06-15-12, 03:08 PM

Lexus still offers almost all the same options with the 250 as the 350. Caddy has made it plain apparent the 2.5 is pretty much going to be a bargain basement model. Even if you look at the configuration available now, the 2.0T has far more flexibility. That will be the volume seller. My 15% call may be low because thinking about it more, I bet dealers will run great lease deals on the 2.5 stripper as they do now on the 3.0 CTS's to attract more of the tighter spenders.

blkcaddy
06-15-12, 04:35 PM
I am not. I just REALLY like to sleep.

:shake: :shake: jimmyh wake up.....you were dreaming again! And wipe that white crust off the side of your cheek!

EnvoyBu
06-15-12, 11:01 PM
The ATS Build Your Own is now up on Cadillac's website, sans pricing guys, just an FYI.

:shake: :shake: jimmyh wake up.....you were dreaming again! And wipe that white crust off the side of your cheek!

WHITE crust...? :D

ddawson
06-16-12, 11:23 AM
Please talk about the ATS. You call use the telephone to chit chat.

RippyPartsDept
06-16-12, 11:52 AM
wut?

RippyPartsDept
06-16-12, 11:53 AM
This is just too good.

You call use the telephone to chit chat.

Please talk about the ATS.

thebigjimsho
06-16-12, 12:11 PM
Please talk about the ATS. You call use the telephone to chit chat.

But if I'm using my phone to browse the forum?

Chit chat away!

ddawson
06-16-12, 02:59 PM
Correction: You can use the telephone to chit chat.

rand49er
06-16-12, 03:55 PM
Uh-h-h ... where were we ... oh, yeah ... chit chatting about the price of a Cadillac ATS.

I did the build thing last night just for the heck of it. Not only did I end up with the darn thing loaded (NAV, CUE, 18" wheels, sunroof, etc), but the worst thing was I didn't know how much I was "spending." Bet it was north of $40k for sure, probably nearer to $50k. Guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for option pricing.

The ATS-V better be in the mid $50s. $60k would certainly tighten up the mod budget.

bmcleod
06-16-12, 04:35 PM
Uh-h-h ... where were we ... oh, yeah ... chit chatting about the price of a Cadillac ATS.

I did the build thing last night just for the heck of it. Not only did I end up with the darn thing loaded (NAV, CUE, 18" wheels, sunroof, etc), but the worst thing was I didn't know how much I was "spending." Bet it was north of $40k for sure, probably nearer to $50k. Guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for option pricing.

The ATS-V better be in the mid $50s. $60k would certainly tighten up the mod budget.

Yeah, a price would be nice. I do like the pop-up details on the packages, though don't like that you lose features with AWD - premium cooling, magnetic ride control, performance suspension, and limited slip differential (though that makes sense).

ddawson
06-16-12, 06:23 PM
What are the options that won't be available until Sept?

bmcleod
06-16-12, 09:27 PM
What are the options that won't be available until Sept?

Well, I know there have been several dates thrown out and you guys are much closer to the ground on this, but today I ended up on Cadillac chat looking for ATS internal dimension drawings (wondering if my skis will fit). She didn't have those - just headroom, legroom, trunk volume, that sort of thing. When she asked if there was anything else I asked when the ATS would start being delivered, she said manufacturing July-August, dealers Sept-Oct. So take that for what it is, one GM chat person - but one answer to your question is "All the options won't be available until Sept" :~/

bmw2caddy
06-18-12, 11:17 AM

Which trim level were you building?

The 3.6 Premium includes just about everything for MSRP $47590 for the RWD and $48690 for the AWD. Sunroof is $1050, Driver Assist Package will run $3220 on the Premium line and $3645 on the Performance line. Cold Weather Package is $450 on the Standard line and $600 across the Luxury, Performance and Premium lines. Advanced Security Package is $395 across the board. The polished 18" wheels are $850. Navigation is $1295 on the Luxury line and also includes the Uplevel Audio Package. On the Performance line the Navigation option is $795. Hopefully some of this helps.

Chuck C
06-18-12, 03:38 PM
With the 2.0T priced only $1,805 more than the 2.5, I am confused as to why anyone would opt for the 2.5. $1,805 for 70hp (and arguably a more advanced engine) is a bargain. Consider the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG vs. black series edition - that's over $40,000 for only 59 more horsepower! Okay, that was not the best comparison. I would compare the G25 to the G37, but that would be more in line with comparing the ATS 2.5 to the 3.6. To this point, the G25 and ATS 2.5 are on par specs-wise while the $36,400 G37 is clearly the better deal vs. the $42,090 ATS 3.6. Also, based on the ATS website's configurator, Cadillac claims that both the 2.5 and 2.0T will return better than 30mpg highway. As it appears on paper, the 2.0T hits that sweet spot between price, fuel efficiency, and performance - I would not be surprised if this trim outsells the base and 3.6 trims handily.

RippyPartsDept
06-18-12, 04:58 PM
don't forget that some of this 'will sell more' speculation will be limited by how many GM builds (or can build) of each

sure more people might want one over the others but GM's plans for production and the consumer's plans for purchases don't always line up perfectly

EnvoyBu
06-19-12, 12:58 AM
I drove the ATS 3.6L today. It's sweet! I've also been told that the 3.6L should get 19/29 MPG's, but hopefully they'll hit 20/30 with it.

Pie R Squared
06-19-12, 10:29 AM
I drove the ATS 3.6L today. It's sweet! I've also been told that the 3.6L should get 19/29 MPG's, but hopefully they'll hit 20/30 with it.

I would love to drive one, how were you able to arrange the test drive?

EnvoyBu
06-19-12, 01:11 PM
I would love to drive one, how were you able to arrange the test drive?

It was a GM event, and I know some people, which isn't a bad thing. ;)

JimmyH
06-19-12, 05:23 PM
camaro5 mods got to drive the ZL1 last year, and I can't even get a ride in an ATS :(

EnvoyBu
06-19-12, 07:16 PM
camaro5 mods got to drive the ZL1 last year, and I can't even get a ride in an ATS :(

You guys at Camaro5 lack the swag factor us boys over at GMI have... :D

JimmyH
06-20-12, 05:29 PM
don't put me in with those camaro5 guys, I am NOT one of them

EnvoyBu
06-20-12, 07:30 PM

Okay, your off the list now. :)

EnvoyBu
06-20-12, 07:31 PM

Okay, your off the list now. :)

Sol588
06-20-12, 11:57 PM

Ok, can you give more specifics on your experience? How did it sound? Engine feel powerful, handling, anything more you can elaborate on will hill help

EnvoyBu
06-25-12, 03:28 PM
Ok, can you give more specifics on your experience? How did it sound? Engine feel powerful, handling, anything more you can elaborate on will hill help

Check out my review on GM Inside News.