: Help '08 STS issues with battery cable and airbag / passenger presence system

Ludacrisvp
05-06-12, 04:48 PM
So I recently acquired a 2008 STS AWD V8 w/ 1SG with 62000 miles on it.
While on my first road trip to Duluth (about 3hrs north) I noticed the service air bag message and light flash on and off twice near my destination. It didn't come on again while I was there until I was almost home when it turned on and stayed on. It has now been on for 2 days solid. The code is B0081 symptom 71. This means the passenger presence system had sent invalid serial data to the sdm.
So now I am looking at needing to replace the passenger bottom seat cushion as they are apparently connected to each other and cannot be replaced separately. The dealer had to repair the driver airbag before purchase as it appeared to have been reinstalled improperly when they warranty replaced the steering wheel.

Anyone have ideas on cost of this repair from a reputable dealer? I think it's rather pathetic that this component should fail at such a young age.

Then to top it off after attempting to see if it was perhaps just an intermittent code that was stuck in the dtc history I did the pull the battery from the car and cleaned up the top post terminals as i noted some corrosion from the positive cable. I then took the loose cables and touched the 2 disconnected cables together to drain all current out as has been the suggestion of many here.
But it was a wasted effort and now leaves me with a foul metallic taste in my mouth as I realize how badly corroded the positive cable is. This top post battery was replaced at the dealer before purchase so the battery is ok but the bottom loop of the connector is missing 50% of the loop so now it's a loop and a hook.
I am honestly surprised the car is able to start under this condition.

What kind of financial pain am I looking at for this battery cable replacement? I find it really hard to believe that this cable could get so corroded in such a young car. I feel that the GM corrosion warranty should really cover something like this as the ground cable is flawless I would say there had to be some kind of defect in the component used.

Any thoughts / help would be appreciated in this area. Perhaps this may fall into a customer service field on Cadillac's part. Thanks.

Ludacrisvp
05-06-12, 04:54 PM
Here are some close ups of the battery cable.

ddalder
05-06-12, 05:24 PM
Was this a purchase from a private party or a dealer of some sort?

As for the Passenger Presence System, I recall one other post with a similar problem. The system can be repaired but it requires replacing all the components that come as part of a service kit because it is calibrated as a "unit" (I don't think you need to replace the cushion though). As I recall, this was quite expensive and it seemed more cost effective to replace the entire seat with one in good condition from a wrecker.

Ask Rippy (a GM parts member here on the forum) for a cost on the cable, or check with a local dealership. Depending on how much wire length there is, it may be possible to have a shop attach only a new connector.

EChas3
05-06-12, 06:08 PM
You mention repairs made. Many (if not most) Cadillac dealer waranty their repairs. Who did that work?

dkozloski
05-06-12, 06:31 PM
Your car isn't supposed to have a top post battery. The correct battery is a side post. The battery cable end you're showing looks like a Ford part.

ddalder
05-06-12, 06:53 PM
Your car isn't supposed to have a top post battery. The correct battery is a side post. The battery cable end you're showing looks like a Ford part.
This was changed in later years. My 2008 also has top posts. I believe this was the first year with the new style.

Ludacrisvp
05-06-12, 11:20 PM
Was this a purchase from a private party or a dealer of some sort?

As for the Passenger Presence System, I recall one other post with a similar problem. The system can be repaired but it requires replacing all the components that come as part of a service kit because it is calibrated as a "unit" (I don't think you need to replace the cushion though). As I recall, this was quite expensive and it seemed more cost effective to replace the entire seat with one in good condition from a wrecker.

Ask Rippy (a GM parts member here on the forum) for a cost on the cable, or check with a local dealership. Depending on how much wire length there is, it may be possible to have a shop attach only a new connector.
All the work was done by a dealer Mills GM willmar.
That will be really disappointing if it's cheaper to get a whole new seat from a wrecked STS. I doubt I would be able to find a seat local as most salvage yards around here seem to only get old cheap cars and stay away from the cost of caddys. I see on the original window sticker that whoever got the car also paid for $1300 'premium tuscany leather' not sure if it would be easy to find that and the right color with both heated and ventilated seat.
It was surprising to see a top post battery in a GM car, I can't remember seeing any with one. Service manual mentions side post battery or top post battery (with LH2) I assume that lh2 is an RPO code. So I think it could have been a mid year change.

ddalder
05-06-12, 11:31 PM
I would see what the dealership says, but it sounds like a different problem than what they repaired so I'm not sure if you'll have any luck getting this covered. I understand your point regarding cost. You may not find a seat close, and an exact match may be a little tough to find. This will more likely be because of the leather option. Heated and ventilated seats are not all that uncommon.

LH2 is the code for the 4.6L Northstar V8. I suspect it changed because the battery in 2008+ (V8's at least) seems larger. This may be because the STS's are notorious for battery problems. My 2008 was a very early production car (July 2007) so it won't be a mid-year change, however they may still have used the side post in the V6 engine option.

EChas3
05-07-12, 12:22 AM
It's illegal to put a used airbag into a car. If the seat has an airbag in it, professionals can only install a new assembly.

Watch out for anyone saying, "I'm from the government and I'll help."

ddalder
05-07-12, 12:27 AM
It's illegal to put a used airbag into a car. If the seat has an airbag in it, professionals can only install a new assembly.
Personally I find this very hard to believe. It may not be good practice, but I doubt that it's law (unless on a state by state basis). The reality is that the seat can be swapped over and even if this does apply, there should be no reason they couldn't transfer the original airbag assembly. I won't put one with an unknown origin in my car, but as I say, there are options.

dkozloski
05-07-12, 12:37 AM
If you can't install a used airbag why do the thugs bother to steal them?

Ludacrisvp
05-07-12, 05:40 AM
If you can't install a used airbag why do the thugs bother to steal them?
Perhaps it's just to be a pain in the ass.

cdezey
05-07-12, 05:54 PM
In New York its illegal, u might get away with seats but definitely not dash and steering wheel .

EChas3
05-07-12, 10:45 PM
I don't say you can't get someone to do it. I guess it's not illegal but I've heard several shops refuse to take the chance of getting sued:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Laws+&+Regulations/Air+Bags "Certification documentation should include the vehicle identification number of the vehicle from which the airbag was removed, the airbag salvage date, storage location, and shipment details."

Ludacrisvp
05-07-12, 11:40 PM
Well I will just have to wait for my service contract to kick in and get the work done then. If it wasn't a crazy price to fix them I would fix it right away. They have a 30 day waiting period before I can use it. $100 deductible 3yr 45k miles from 62k miles. It's a 21st century contract that is the same one that my parents have on their 2 SRX AWD V8s and it has come in very handy and has paid for itself on both of them. They got 6yr 48k miles I believe.