: Caliper Covers

xlraw
05-04-12, 07:47 PM
Looking for a set of caliper covers for an 07 escalade checked online but they are well over priced at 200. Has anyone purchased these cheaper.

MrHolland
05-04-12, 09:06 PM
There have been some ppl in here that purchased the MGP caliper covers, I think they look great. Try a search of the forum, or maybe they will chime in.

chakde
05-04-12, 11:07 PM
I installed the MGP ones on both my Escalade's and love them but they are for sure overpriced at 200. I can post pictures if required.

roadog1aj
05-05-12, 07:49 AM
Whew!! For $200 + dollars you would think those covers would actually cover the complete caliper and not just the front. I have 22" rims, and if you look thru the rim you would still see the top of the stock caliper easily. For about $20 you could buy some quality high temp spray paint, and a roll of painter's tape. A couple hours of your time, and some old newspapers can give you a pretty nice looking set of brake calipers without having to take them off the vehicle. I have attached some pics of my work. Remember to lightly sand and clean those calipers thoroughly first! In order to get that "Ferrari Red" I always start with 3 coats of silver (let each coat dry). The silver base brings out the bright red (unless you want to go with black). I've seen some brakes that were not done with the bright base coat, and the red or yellow looked very dull and blotchy. Any ways...I tape everything real good and cover the larger areas with old news papers. After the 3 coats of silver, I then apply 3 coats of red. Again...let each coat dry real good. Remove all the tape and papers, clean up any little "over spray" areas, remount your tires, and Walla!!!!! you have what I think is a nice looking set of calipers. I have been asked if my calipers were powder coated because of the nice finish (due to all those coats of paint). You can also apply some wax a few months later. I have done this on all my vehicles and the paint job has held up great even after 5-6 years! Hope you like the pics, and hope this helps give you alternative ideas, as some people always thought you had to go thru the pain of completely disassembling the calipers to pain them properly.

hcvone
05-05-12, 09:58 AM
Whew!! For $200 + dollars you would think those covers would actually cover the complete caliper and not just the front. I have 22" rims, and if you look thru the rim you would still see the top of the stock caliper easily. For about $20 you could buy some quality high temp spray paint, and a roll of painter's tape. A couple hours of your time, and some old newspapers can give you a pretty nice looking set of brake calipers without having to take them off the vehicle. I have attached some pics of my work. Remember to lightly sand and clean those calipers thoroughly first! In order to get that "Ferrari Red" I always start with 3 coats of silver (let each coat dry). The silver base brings out the bright red (unless you want to go with black). I've seen some brakes that were not done with the bright base coat, and the red or yellow looked very dull and blotchy. Any ways...I tape everything real good and cover the larger areas with old news papers. After the 3 coats of silver, I then apply 3 coats of red. Again...let each coat dry real good. Remove all the tape and papers, clean up any little "over spray" areas, remount your tires, and Walla!!!!! you have what I think is a nice looking set of calipers. I have been asked if my calipers were powder coated because of the nice finish (due to all those coats of paint). You can also apply some wax a few months later. I have done this on all my vehicles and the paint job has held up great even after 5-6 years! Hope you like the pics, and hope this helps give you alternative ideas, as some people always thought you had to go thru the pain of completely disassembling the calipers to pain them properly.

Nice job, I am not a fan of the caliper covers, they do look nice, but I am always putting big brakes on anyway, but a good paint job like above on your calipers will make them look great for very little

roadog1aj
05-05-12, 10:58 AM
Thanx hcvone! I love to see detailed calipers, no matter if they are painted or covered. It's seems to be one of the details manufacturers could upgrade easily when they build them, but don't. I think lots of people would even pay a little extra to have powder coated calipers as an option on a new vehicle.
Adding Big Brakes would be a wonderful upgrade, but Jeesh!!!....I'll have to save up for a while to pay for the cost of those babies!!! They are super nice looking, and the stopping power is like nothing you can get with stock brakes (even a stainless steel brake line upgrade does not come close to that level of performance)

chakde
05-05-12, 12:23 PM
Good job "roadog1aj"

mbdubb2361
05-06-12, 01:43 AM
Would these void any warranty of the truck?

quattrotman
05-06-12, 02:05 AM
Would these void any warranty of the truck?

Nope

the blur
05-06-12, 08:11 AM
Good way to keep the heat in your calipers and boil your brake fluid.... then loose your brakes. The objective is caliper to air contact, so the caliper remain COOL, thus the brake fluid remains COOL.

K9Caddy
05-06-12, 08:34 AM
I believe the caliper covers are aluminum, if they are, they would act more like a "heat sink". I don't see any issues with retaining heat.