: oil manifold question

trbolvr
05-04-12, 02:00 AM
In the process of cleaning up my lower case and oil pan etc. and wondering if the oil manifold is reusable or a must replace item. I see from the link to bloozberry's rebuild he went though the trouble of cleaning out the old rtv and adding new on reassembly. Anyone use the VICTOR REINZ Part # GS33431?
My project car is a 2001 Deville base.

Faded Crest
05-04-12, 02:41 AM
The FSM for my '98 says it is a throwaway, not reusable. Victor Reinz makes very good parts. You should be fine.

Photon
05-04-12, 04:11 AM
I reused it and I am not certain to the quality of the seal. Also, it took forever to clean out as I exhausted all possible solvents to destroy the RTV and only good old elbow grease took it out. Not worth it if you actually have the money.

trbolvr
05-04-12, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the replies, will get a new one.

Submariner409
05-04-12, 10:25 AM
Yep, get a new one.

Talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac, over there >>>>>

Faded Crest
05-04-12, 10:49 AM
What a sad picture. :(

trbolvr
05-05-12, 03:59 AM
Sad for the previous owner. I was happy to get it for .........under $500 out the door, in my name, title in hand with new plates!
Have a bunch more pics I've taken along the way of the tear down.

97EldoCoupe
05-05-12, 06:12 PM
Run a bead of GM sealant around the outside of a new plate (around the outer sealing edge) before you install it. Do not re-use the old one. I lucked out on those, I still have about 475 new ones (left overs from the Livonia engine plant)......they're not cheap; but as Jim said Rippy will be able to help you out.

Did any of the main bolts snap on the way out? Very common with 2000+. The bolts are not quenched properly (brittle). Check the threads of each one before re-assembly for cracks and aluminum residue. Oil pressure is fed to the rotating assembly around the shaft of 12 of these bolts, and if one does not torque properly, oil pressure will be lost.

Faded Crest
05-07-12, 10:49 AM
Did any of the main bolts snap on the way out? Very common with 2000+. The bolts are not quenched properly (brittle). Check the threads of each one before re-assembly for cracks and aluminum residue. Oil pressure is fed to the rotating assembly around the shaft of 12 of these bolts, and if one does not torque properly, oil pressure will be lost.

Well that makes me glad I don't have to do the midcase seal on my 2000 when the time comes.

trbolvr
05-07-12, 08:07 PM
I didn't have any main bolts snap and they looked ok (no aluminum) will inspect closer for cracks. I finally flipped my heads over and think I finally found where the breach was. I was puzzeled initially because all 20 head bolts came out with a distinct and pronounced double snap. It seemed they all had proper torque and clamping force.
This is a pic of the number 7 cylinder on the head.

I think breach is right at 12:00 in the picture, there wasn't I nice shiny circle around the chamber like this one.

Here are some discusting stop leak pics from earlier, that crap should be outlawed.

97EldoCoupe
05-07-12, 10:36 PM
Here are some discusting stop leak pics from earlier, that crap should be outlawed.

FINALLY someone says it.......thank you for agreeing with me!.... it's no fun cleaning that junk out of the coolant passages in the heads and block.

trbolvr
05-10-12, 01:08 AM
Bottom end is buttoned up. Followed these instructions. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/117232-case-halves-reseal-fwd-rtv-sealant.html
Was a little tense at first, was worried about sealant setting up to quick but all worked ok. Was cool in garage so I think that slowed it down a little. (57 deg). I used the Victor Reinz oil manifold. It seemed like a quality piece but the locating pins didn't seem to line up perfectly (tap from mallet set it down). May have been newb error, should have test fit it before gooping it up.

After I get the rear main in I think I'm going to get the block reattached to the tranny on my cart. Should move around less (for drilling and tapping) as opposed to the engine stand. Any thoughts ?

Submariner409
05-10-12, 10:29 AM
Looks good.

That exhaust pipe Y - look inside and see if there's some extra pipe - from the left manifold - sticking into the main pipe. An hour's careful work with a Dremel tool and cutoff wheels will give you a bit better gas flow at high rpm.