: Looking to Buy 07-09 ESV - Some Questions Remaining

BQuicksilver
05-04-12, 12:24 AM
Well, my parents have decided to pick up an 07-09 ESV for use exclusively as a vehicle for our family outings with my 2 children. We do still have some outstanding questions that I hope the community can clear up for us.

1 - Are there any issues unique to 2007 that were solved by 2008?

2 - Was AWD standard on all ESV's?

3 - What year did cylinder deactivation become standard, or was that only on the hybrids?

4 - Are the power folding captain seats a worthwhile option (thinking it would be with a kid in one arm)? Also is there any easy way to ID this option via photos of the vehicle since most dealers fail to mention it?

5 - On an ESV, if I see 2nd row entertainment system on ceiling, can I assume there is a 3rd row entertainment system? Many pics are from an angle where its tough to see if you're looking at one or two screens in the headliner.

6 - I drove an 08 today that appeared to have the independent OEM platinum series headrest monitors. What is the cost of parts for this upgrade?

Thanks in Advance!

hcvone
05-04-12, 06:38 AM
Well, my parents have decided to pick up an 07-09 ESV for use exclusively as a vehicle for our family outings with my 2 children. We do still have some outstanding questions that I hope the community can clear up for us.

1 - Are there any issues unique to 2007 that were solved by 2008? Some have seen less wind noise from 2007 to 2008, it got better every year

2 - Was AWD standard on all ESV's? In 2007 ESV's were all wheel drive only per GM web site, not sure when the 2 wheel drive option was added, I know in 2010 ESV's could be purchased with rear or all wheel drive

3 - What year did cylinder deactivation become standard, or was that only on the hybrids? 2010 cylinder deactivation was standard, although it was listing in the 2007 sales info

4 - Are the power folding captain seats a worthwhile option (thinking it would be with a kid in one arm)? Also is there any easy way to ID this option via photos of the vehicle since most dealers fail to mention it? I have had them in every truck since 2007, IMO they are not worth paying extra for, it's not a big deal to fold the seats dowm manually, on the earlier trucks there was a release on the overhead console, and just behind the seats themselves you will find rocker switches, on the newer trucks they took the control off the overhead console

5 - On an ESV, if I see 2nd row entertainment system on ceiling, can I assume there is a 3rd row entertainment system? Many pics are from an angle where its tough to see if you're looking at one or two screens in the headliner. Yes with rear seat entertainment you get 2 overhead screens on the ESV

6 - I drove an 08 today that appeared to have the independent OEM platinum series headrest monitors. What is the cost of parts for this upgrade? Couldn't not tell you the price because I have never used mine, but if you ask Chris from Rippy's Caddy on this forum he will respond

Thanks in Advance!

Good luck with your choice

Nice Ride
05-04-12, 09:21 AM
Go 2009 Platinum if you can find a good deal. Have every option except cylinder deactivation. Cars.com allow you to enter in specifically the options you are looking for including the color. You will get an email when a new match is found. I was able to get a 09 esv platinum w/ 36000 mi. For $48,900...

BQuicksilver
05-04-12, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the terrific reply hcvone!

1 - The 08 I drove yesterday wasn't too bothersome re: wind noise. I could hear it but IMO it was okay. Maybe I need to sit in an 07 as well. I understand it's a problematic issue.

2 - I'll just keep my guard up for 2wd trucks looking at 08-09.

3 - Anyone know when cylinder deactivation started showing up? IMO it would be a good feature since I see ours being a long-range cruiser.

4-6 - Thanks for the great info!

----------

Go 2009 Platinum if you can find a good deal. Have every option except cylinder deactivation. Cars.com allow you to enter in specifically the options you are looking for including the color. You will get an email when a new match is found. I was able to get a 09 esv platinum w/ 36000 mi. For $48,900...

There are a lot of things I love about the platinums, but I really don't see kids and that white fluffy carpet working well. Nor do I like the brown leather despite it being a high grade material. I would like the 2 extra screens and heated/cooled cupholders if for no other reason than wretched excess. some of the trim upgrades are nice, but not something I'd say could sway a purchase for me. In the end they command a larger premium than the features are worth to me.

hcvone
05-04-12, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the terrific reply hcvone!

1 - The 08 I drove yesterday wasn't too bothersome re: wind noise. I could hear it but IMO it was okay. Maybe I need to sit in an 07 as well. I understand it's a problematic issue.

2 - I'll just keep my guard up for 2wd trucks looking at 08-09.

3 - Anyone know when cylinder deactivation started showing up? IMO it would be a good feature since I see ours being a long-range cruiser.

4-6 - Thanks for the great info!

----------

There are a lot of things I love about the platinums, but I really don't see kids and that white fluffy carpet working well. Nor do I like the brown leather despite it being a high grade material. I would like the 2 extra screens and heated/cooled cupholders if for no other reason than wretched excess. some of the trim upgrades are nice, but not something I'd say could sway a purchase for me. In the end they command a larger premium than the features are worth to me.

2010 was the first cylinder deactivation year. 2012 was the first year for the platinum in black interior, made me sell my 2011 so I could get black inside, we now have 3 2012's. ;)

CADION22
05-05-12, 05:23 PM
I have a 2007 Esv AWD. Guess one of the lucky ones without wind noise. But I have the 2nd row DVD but not 3rd row screen. Don't think it is automatically in all rear entertainment package.