: Getting rid of the drone...

Tampa2Dubai
05-03-12, 08:13 AM
Has anybody managed to get rid of the damn drone/resonance around 1500-2500 rpm, i tried changing the rear mufflers to the borla touring axle back and this just made the drone louder. Am thinking the only way is dynamat the whole car .. has anyone tried this or had any other success ??

thanks guys :thumbsup:

Rich Browne
05-03-12, 09:05 AM
I would seriously consider the following it seems to have a great deal of merit:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102075

Helmholtz tubes.

Crystal Red CTS-V
05-03-12, 10:37 AM
No drone/resonance whatsoever with the Corsa Tourings.

silversled
05-03-12, 10:50 AM
No drone/resonance whatsoever with the Corsa Tourings.

I second that. My wife and I have spent 8 hours on a road trip with no droning from the Corsa Touring.

SPEED74V
05-03-12, 11:18 AM
I have Kooks w/out cats, X-Pipe and stock mufflers and I have no drone at all.

CTS-Vz
05-03-12, 11:23 AM
None with Corsa neither! :)

cruiser68
05-03-12, 11:26 AM
I have kooks w/ catted x-pipe to stock mufflers with no drone.

neuronbob
05-03-12, 11:26 AM
I fourth the Corsa. That was my first mod.

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 12:01 PM
It's not drone. It's resonance. I don't think its your exhaust making sound, but how the sound resonates with the car around it.

At least that's what I'm going on based on another member's issue and findings...

----------

Actually, that's only with automatics. Do you have an auto, t2d?

hlantin
05-03-12, 02:03 PM
Has anybody managed to get rid of the damn drone/resonance around 1500-2500 rpm, i tried changing the rear mufflers to the borla touring axle back and this just made the drone louder. Am thinking the only way is dynamat the whole car .. has anyone tried this or had any other success ??

thanks guys :thumbsup:

Have you tried fixing the crimped sections of the exhaust? That might help?

FLTRI
05-03-12, 03:21 PM
I fourth the Corsa. That was my first mod.

Nice looking/sounding system, but Dayum, are they pricy for a pair of mufflers!!!

DiamondWhtV
05-03-12, 05:29 PM
Well....this certainly helps me in trying to decide between the Corsa Touring and Borla Touring

Stillborn
05-03-12, 07:58 PM
you shoulda bought a sts or a BMW 7 series and called it a day. people complaining about sound from a supercar seems a little off to me. i never once met a viper owner complain about resonating issues. why? because it's to be expected. one should expect to hear revs (motor music) and be elated in the joyous sound that is. isn't that why the radio automatically adjusts? just my .02

elphil
05-03-12, 08:24 PM
I don't hear any drone in the Wagon. Any other Wagon owners hear a drone?

Rich Browne
05-03-12, 10:12 PM
you shoulda bought a sts or a BMW 7 series and called it a day. people complaining about sound from a supercar seems a little off to me. i never once met a viper owner complain about resonating issues. why? because it's to be expected. one should expect to hear revs (motor music) and be elated in the joyous sound that is. isn't that why the radio automatically adjusts? just my .02

I hate the sound of Vipers. 10 cylinders, harsh unrefined exhaust note. Mullet required.

A V8 is the sweet sound of horsepower. Nothing wrong with tuning the exhaust. Exhaust sound can make or break a car. There is nothing more ridiculous than 200 HP running through crappy two chamber FlowMasters on 2" pipes with 4" megaphones, well, a ricer with a polished stainless steel muffler the size of that car is actually worse. Loud, just loud and silly.

I have a 1964 Galaxie XL500 with a 600 HP 427 side oiler. It took three months to get the "perfect sound" out of the car. I could have turned up the "radio", but, why settle for something you don't like? My .03. Just sayin'

Stillborn
05-03-12, 10:16 PM
well your age might be a factor. maybe you can use the extra cup holder for a bag of prunes. just saying. =}
btw, if someone has 100k for a new viper i would hope a modern haircut would be mandatory.

Rich Browne
05-03-12, 10:31 PM
I love prunes, Stillborn. My Depends match my cup holders, too. Still don't need a hearing aid. That's why I can comment on exhaust tone. .04, just sayin' as I snug up my Depends

thebigjimsho
05-04-12, 10:25 AM
You old guys are the shizznit!

DangFoo
05-04-12, 10:40 AM
Stock exhaust here for now; no drone/resonance to really speak of, but my music tends to be loud. :)

If anything, my ride is too quiet - Corsa will be getting a new customer soon.

OldRoadDawg
05-04-12, 12:16 PM
You old guys are the shizznit!
Yep...

DiamondWhtV
05-04-12, 12:39 PM
Yep...

Must be the Kauai Red Dirt Shirt...lol

FLTRI
05-04-12, 12:54 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I just figured others had better hearing than I do, I've never heard a drone and have an A6 in my wagon. I would like a little deeper rumble, and better looking tips, but am unwilling to pay the Corsa price of admission for it...

Tampa2Dubai
05-05-12, 04:05 AM
It's not drone. It's resonance. I don't think its your exhaust making sound, but how the sound resonates with the car around it.

At least that's what I'm going on based on another member's issue and findings...

----------

Actually, that's only with automatics. Do you have an auto, t2d?

Jim, i think your quite right, i have an auto.. it seems more mechanical resonance rather than just exhaust. I remember on the last car i had, a range rover sport they had a similar problem on the early cars and got over it by fixing dense rubber blocks on the chassis rails on the later cars... seemed to work,

I love the sound of the v on WOT, especially with the borla but the resonance is a bit crap for a 'luxury' sports sedan ...

thebigjimsho
05-05-12, 02:52 PM
Yeah, we were giving crap to the OP the first time it came up. But if its reverberating through everything in the car, I can see it as annoying. Different than just a sound...

Rich Browne
05-05-12, 05:57 PM
Excuse me, but, not all of us were giving the OP a hard time. I believe it was just the prepubescent group. The older and wiser knew better.

Depends, out!

thebigjimsho
05-06-12, 12:37 AM
Excuse me, but, not all of us were giving the OP a hard time. I believe it was just the prepubescent group. The older and wiser knew better.

Depends, out!The FIRST time, back in Dec of '08...

That's before you went senile...

hehehehehehehehe

cruiser68
05-06-12, 01:21 PM
I hate the sound of Vipers. 10 cylinders, harsh unrefined exhaust note. Mullet required.

A V8 is the sweet sound of horsepower. Nothing wrong with tuning the exhaust. Exhaust sound can make or break a car. There is nothing more ridiculous than 200 HP running through crappy two chamber FlowMasters on 2" pipes with 4" megaphones, well, a ricer with a polished stainless steel muffler the size of that car is actually worse. Loud, just loud and silly.

I have a 1964 Galaxie XL500 with a 600 HP 427 side oiler. It took three months to get the "perfect sound" out of the car. I could have turned up the "radio", but, why settle for something you don't like? My .03. Just sayin'

Couldn't have said it better. If you want to turn up the stereo to drown out the sound of your exhaust, somethings wrong :)

Moneypenny
05-06-12, 03:40 PM

Made a 180 mile round-trip yesterday in my Wagon. On the way down, it was raining cats-n-dogs, and the drone was very loud. On the way back, the rain had stopped, the roads had dried, and the drone was almost unnoticeable. Wondering how rain can have an effect on the drone. I'll keep an ear out to see if it happens again.