: New Member in search of new V - Questions!

Gorilla83
05-03-12, 09:04 AM
Hi all,

In the past year or so I've developed a (strong!) interest in the V-Sedan and the time has finally come where I'm getting serious about picking one up. I do have a few questions along the way:

1) Ideally I do want a manual car, but in the event I wind up with an A6, how strong are the auto transmissions? I'm expecting to do the basic mods once the car is out of warranty (upper or lower pulley, CAI, tune) and want the car to be very reliable in the long term. I don't drive my cars hard at all, but I do have high expectations for reliability.

2) I've been targeting 2010-2011 models and from what I've read there don't seem to be any major advantages/disadvantages between the 2009-2012 models. Is this fairly accurate?

3) My ideal car is as follows: A 2010-2012 Diamond White sedan with Ebony Interior, M6, No wood trim, Recaros, Sunroof, polished wheels, and less than 15k miles. I'm willing to travel/ship for the right car. I've been looking hard for the past month on ebay, autotrader, cargurus, and craigslist but haven't found my exact combo short of a brand new car. I'd strongly prefer to buy a pre-owned unless there was a KILLER deal on a leftover 2011-2012 somewhere. Any tips on how or where to look?

Thanks in advance for your help - lots of good info around here!

4) Is my best bet to snag a 2010-2012 at a good price to wait until the 2013s hit the showroom?

Andrew

LFTW8S
05-03-12, 09:17 AM
Welcome. Are you interested in a deal on a 2011 BDE a6 sedan?

Gorilla83
05-03-12, 09:35 AM
Welcome. Are you interested in a deal on a 2011 BDE a6 sedan?

Hi there and thanks for the welcome. So far my only "Must" is that the exterior be Diamond White - I LOVE that color! The BD is sweet, but I'd prefer the DW. I also have a strong preference toward an M6 car.

Are you looking to change colors/transmissions or upgrade to a 2013?

CTS-Vz
05-03-12, 10:53 AM
Those are good ?'s, Gorilla. Same I had before I got mine!!

I found a 2010 with 17K miles and all those options in black at a non-Cadillac dealer. Being that this dealership had less experience, and the V was a trade in, I got a good deal (~$48K)... Also didn't hurt that the guy that owned the dealership was at my wedding. I used Yahoo Autos with custom criteria for what I wanted in a 100 mile radius and was lucky to find the car a couple months after searching.

I've had the car 4 months and installed Airraid CAI, Corsa Touring, Lingenfelter Upper Pulley, and custom dyno tune. I haven't had any issues (knocks on wood) so far and have used the same shop that I've trusted for years to do the mods. Some ppl on the forum have talked about wheel click, sunroof problems, creaky seat issues, etc and I checked for that during my test drives. Probably not a bad idea to listen for that when you are test driving! Good luck!!

Gorilla83
05-03-12, 12:41 PM
Those are good ?'s, Gorilla. Same I had before I got mine!!

I found a 2010 with 17K miles and all those options in black at a non-Cadillac dealer. Being that this dealership had less experience, and the V was a trade in, I got a good deal (~$48K)... Also didn't hurt that the guy that owned the dealership was at my wedding. I used Yahoo Autos with custom criteria for what I wanted in a 100 mile radius and was lucky to find the car a couple months after searching.

I've had the car 4 months and installed Airraid CAI, Corsa Touring, Lingenfelter Upper Pulley, and custom dyno tune. I haven't had any issues (knocks on wood) so far and have used the same shop that I've trusted for years to do the mods. Some ppl on the forum have talked about wheel click, sunroof problems, creaky seat issues, etc and I checked for that during my test drives. Probably not a bad idea to listen for that when you are test driving! Good luck!!

Wow, that is a nice price. How long ago did you buy? I'd be happy to pay around that area now for a 2010 with the options I've listed. I will for sure check out yahoo autos - hadn't thought of that so thank you. I also read about the sunroof, seat, and wheel clicks. Most of these should be covered under warranty so I'm not "too" concerned about those but it would be nice to be trouble free from the start. How do you like the Corsa Touring?

I think the basic mods are almost a must! A local shop typically picks up around ~100whp with the cheap, easy stuff!

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 12:41 PM
There are no real differences from '09-'12 except for colors and a few options. Look for the right deal for yourself.

The auto is pretty stout. But I'm a manual guy and would always recommend the awesome TR6060...

Gorilla83
05-03-12, 01:29 PM
There are no real differences from '09-'12 except for colors and a few options. Look for the right deal for yourself.

The auto is pretty stout. But I'm a manual guy and would always recommend the awesome TR6060...

I too am a fan of the 6060. They shift so smoothly and seem to be very reliable. I'm 95% set on the White/M6/Recaro combo at this point. I'll have to be patient until the right car comes along.

CTS-Vz
05-04-12, 12:50 PM
I bought the car in January of this year. Originally listed at $52,500 but I made a cash offer and they moved quick on it!

Love the Corsa. Not all the benefits of a full CBE, but perfect loudness/growl. Agreed with the bolt on comment. Easy stuff and relatively cheap can net you 100 HP. Pro-tune on dyno is always my favorite way to tweak air, fuel, shift points, etc and make free power plus better drivability.

Gorilla83
05-04-12, 10:49 PM
Good to know, thanks! When the right combo comes along you can be sure I'll be making an offer!