: Leather / Suede Confusion

Moneypenny
05-03-12, 12:45 AM
Hi All...

So when I picked up my V the other day, I noticed something that seemed odd, but I didn't say anything at the time. I ordered only one option on my V, the black tri-coat paint. That means I did not order the sueded steering wheel and shift knob. However, my car came with a sueded shift knob. Is this something that Cadillac is doing now, installing sueded shift knobs on all manual transmission V's, or is my car an oddity?

FLTRI
05-03-12, 01:33 AM
What does the window sticker say? I would guess it's on it as an option.

Your dealer probably found a car in inventory somewhere that was the right color for you, but had the sueded wheel and knob. As it's only a $300 option, he probably just ate the difference...

Moneypenny
05-03-12, 02:01 AM
What does the window sticker say? I would guess it's on it as an option.

You dealer probably found a car in inventory somewhere that was the right color for you, but had the sueded wheel and knob. As it's only a $300 option, he probably just ate the difference...

Sticker makes no mention of it, and my car was built for me (stick-shift wagon).

I should clarify that the steering wheel is the standard leather; it's only the shift-knob that's sueded.

FLTRI
05-03-12, 02:04 AM
Sticker makes no mention of it, and my car was built for me (stick-shift wagon).

Hmmmmm... Got me then.

Are you okay with it, or did you really want the leather? If you really don't like/want the suede, I bet you could get your dealer to change it out for you. If it's not what you ordered, and you are not happy with it, have them swap the parts....

Moneypenny
05-03-12, 02:28 AM
Hmmmmm... Got me then.

Are you okay with it, or did you really want the leather? If you really don't like/want the suede, I bet you could get your dealer to change it out for you. If it's not what you ordered, and you are not happy with it, have them swap the parts....

No no, I'm perfectly fine with it. I had no preference of one surface over the other, and since one cost more money, I went with the cheaper choice. And if it is legitimately an oddity, then I think I'll keep it just because a normal manual V wagon is too commonplace; I need my cars to be unique. :)

BigDog001
05-03-12, 07:58 AM
I do not not think you should have gotten a leather Steering wheel and a suede shifter -- you may want to ask the dealer to replace the one you do not like.

Trapspeed
05-03-12, 08:01 AM
If you're looking for an oddity I think you've got it.

garfin
05-03-12, 09:50 AM
The person on the line who was installing the shift knobs may have run out of the standard item and installed the suede one as a substitute - or had a brain fart and got confused!

Best regards,

Elie

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-03-12, 12:07 PM
Hi Moneypenny! If you email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com with your full name and VIN, I could look into this further for you. Glad it's not a frustration for you, and I can appreciate you wanting to investigate further.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 12:54 PM
Imagine if you had one black rim and 3 polished ones...

FLTRI
05-03-12, 01:06 PM
Imagine if you had one black rim and 3 polished ones...

Back in the early 80's we had a GMC S-10. Or was it an S-15? Never really knew because it had a Chevy S-10 Emblem on one side, and a GMG S-15 on the other. Bought it that way right off the lot, brand new. I never addressed it as it was funny as hell, and a great conversation starter.

Ahhhhh, the days of GM build quality fail. Sure don't miss 'em....

marktanner
05-06-12, 04:36 PM
My car was shipped with the opposite condition, with the microfiber wheel but the leather shift Knob. As I was paying for it, they had the correct shift knob on it by the time I took delivery. No big deal. BTW, the sueded items are only available if you have the Recaros.

muohio
05-06-12, 10:19 PM
One nice thing about the suede shift knob is staying cool even in direct sunlight. You will notice a difference between it and your steering wheel if you park outside during the summer.