: got a ticket today

atcbrownie
05-02-12, 08:54 PM
The wife and I were out on a date today and after leaving the movie theater in manassas VA (saw 5 year anniversary) I got a ticket. I was on I66 west bound in the HOV at about 4 PM. It was my wife and I in the car so we met the HOV 2 requirement at about a mile from my exit (gainesville) a state trooper pulls behind me with his lights on I didn't think it was for me because I wasnt speeding. I pulled into the lane next to me to let him pass but he followed so I pulled over. When he came too the window he said the he pulled me over because my tint was too dark. I said reallt I thought it was factory and that I had just bought it about a month ago. He put his tester on the window and the front window read 30% and said that it needed to be 50%. He wrote me a ticket and went on his way.

I am shocked that I got a ticket during rush hour near a busy exit with cars speeding past me and it was for tint. I cant believe he pulled me over on I66 for tint alone lol. I guess I will have to take it to a tint shop to have the front windows re-tinted. Anyone else get any silly tickets in thier rides.

Xaqtly
05-02-12, 09:09 PM
Not yet... hopefully never. And I have 15% tint all around. But in Las Vegas cops don't seem to care about darker tint. Mine is darkish but it's nowhere near limo tint. So far I haven't gotten any tickets in the V. Couple close calls though. :)

brian-nicola
05-02-12, 10:20 PM
That trooper has too much time on his hands obviously and I used to be a cop.

RapidRob
05-02-12, 11:06 PM
^^^ - Could be his department is strapped for revenues ... ?

Rob

LV_V
05-03-12, 12:18 AM
What a fuggin douche.

GM-4-LIFE
05-03-12, 12:24 AM
What a chicken shit ticket. In California, we are NOT allowed to have any window tint on the front side windows and I have mine at 15% and cops pull up beside me and give me thumbs up when they see my V Coupe. You would think we have it way worse here than anywhere else in the country. Guess not. Sorry to hear you got stopped by an ass!

wcryan
05-03-12, 12:24 AM
strapped for revenues....... not baggin your comment at all

But pulling over the speeders passing the guy (so he says) will net you more, and it takes just as long to write the ticket

Idiot troopers

smackdownCTSV
05-03-12, 12:27 AM
Or a turd sandwich.

baabootoo
05-03-12, 01:47 AM
Of course, let's believe only one side of the story...... I see haters...... :)

Bigron
05-03-12, 09:55 AM
What percentage did you have put on, 50%?
I know the factory come with ~70% transparency, throw 50% on top and you get close to what he registered.

I have 50% on my past 3 cars and I have never been pulled over for that.

rjoffe
05-03-12, 09:58 AM
Do you have front plates ?

atcbrownie
05-03-12, 10:07 AM
I have no idea what was used on the car. I bought it used about a month ago with the tint already on there. The tint was done so well that I actually thought it was.stock. all of the after market tint jobs I have seen have been pretty obviously not stock. All well I guess I will have to find a good tint shop in NOVA to take it to. I knew the tint was dark I guess I should have had it tested before I bought it then I could have had the dealer fix it.

1madstsv
05-03-12, 10:29 AM
I got stopped for the same thing in my 3500 dully truck. In Iowa $127 fine but I can let the tint on. They just want the $$. I have 35% but it tested 29% and 70% is legal in Iowa. So no tint at all as I see it

CTS-Vz
05-03-12, 10:31 AM
I've never had any issues in NC. I believe the legal limit is 35%?? Apparently there are ways the police tool for measuring can be inaccurate. Might want to research that to see if there is a loophole that could help you.

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 12:37 PM
I don't run a front plate and am required in MA. My V was also a demo from a TX dealer and had tint.

I was driving to NYC and hit the tolls in MA, near CT, and was belting out Celine Dion, with gestures to match. I think the trooper didn't like me driving with no hands on the wheel.

He mentioned no front plate and checked my tint. It was 32% and I needed to be 35%. But I was nice to him and he let me go.

Maybe he likes Celine Dion, too?

wcryan
05-03-12, 12:44 PM
or the movie titanic

cdog533
05-03-12, 12:57 PM
I have no idea what was used on the car. I bought it used about a month ago with the tint already on there. The tint was done so well that I actually thought it was.stock. all of the after market tint jobs I have seen have been pretty obviously not stock. All well I guess I will have to find a good tint shop in NOVA to take it to. I knew the tint was dark I guess I should have had it tested before I bought it then I could have had the dealer fix it.

Dude, just man up and pay the ONE ticket a year you get.... Don't bother changing the tint.

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 01:03 PM
or the movie titanic

Who doesn't?

RippyPartsDept
05-03-12, 01:08 PM
the dealer is not supposed to sell a car with illegal tint

we remove tint on trade-ins all the time

----------

Who doesn't?

:wave: <<<------ THIS GUY

DiamondWhtV
05-03-12, 01:26 PM
Agreed with all said above but would go one step further and contest the ticket. You bought the car a month ago, tint was on it already, you don't have anyway of knowing if it is legal or not from the get go. Besides if you contest, then the trooper will have to show up at the hearing. Maybe he will and maybe he won't. If he doesn't show, then usually the ticket is thrown out.

Got a ticket years ago for a red light (officer was in the wrong..but another story). I contested and he didn't show at the hearing, so ticket was dismissed.

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 01:33 PM
Yep, much more often than not, the officer doesn't show...

----------

the dealer is not supposed to sell a car with illegal tint

we remove tint on trade-ins all the...

But what if you're buying out of state, like I did?

RippyPartsDept
05-03-12, 01:46 PM
they have to sell it legal for the state they are in

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 01:50 PM
Maine the OP did. My car was legal for Texas, not for MA. But its close enough, so...celebrate!

litig8r187
05-03-12, 02:06 PM
My V was a Florida car but it was illegal in Florida too: tinted tails, blacked out ambers, 5% window tint all around and 70% on top of the factory 70% on the windshield. When I got it to Texas, I had to get it inspected to get Texas plates. The tinted tails went by unnoticed as did the blacked out ambers and the tinted windshield but the 5% tint on the front side windows had to be stripped off. Maximum on the front windows in Texas is 25%. In Texas the rear windows and back glass can be as dark as you want so the 5% remains on them.

I eventually got a ticket for the tails so I bought an extra set of slightly scratched used lights, swap them out (three nuts per light) got the ticket dismissed then put the tints back on.

Texas also require front plates here so I put a Show N Go plate bracket on the car. However, Texas has screwed up their License Plate law essentially making it unenforceable so I leave the plate down all the time now.

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 02:48 PM
My Texas car did not have a front plate frame installed. Do the dealers just have single plates?

PearlCaddy04
05-03-12, 03:08 PM
That trooper needs some puss

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 03:33 PM
'n boots?

atcbrownie
05-03-12, 04:09 PM
Do you have front plates ?
yes I new I would get tagged for that quick in NOVA so that was the first thing I bought

RippyPartsDept
05-03-12, 04:13 PM
Texas is definitely a two plate state.... hmmm

DiamondWhtV
05-03-12, 06:26 PM
In the DFW area, front plate isn't enforced by the local police or at least they don't mess with you about it. The State Troopers are another story. The people I know that have been stopped by the State Troopers will usually let you by with a warning, but not always.

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 06:47 PM
Dealer?

Mystical_Ice
05-03-12, 06:52 PM
My Texas car did not have a front plate frame installed. Do the dealers just have single plates?
Yeah i think you're right - every time i've bought a car from a dealership it didn't have a front plate installed. Actually that may be because i specifically requested them not to do it :)

I've driven cars with no front plates for 6 years, and never been pulled over for it except ONCE, and it was a state trooper that walked around the RIGHT side of the car, around the front, and to the driver window just looking for something to write me a ticket for. I talked him down to a verbal warning.

Last time i checked, in Texas tint on windshields is illegal (any type), with the exception of something like the top 4". Tint on the back window (rear-facing) has no tint restriction at all. Tint on the front two windows the max is 35%. Tint on the back two i believe is 15%.

Could be wrong though - that was back in 2004 or 2005.

----------

The way to get out of a ticket is to hand the officer your drivers license, CHL, and lifetime member 100 club card.

Got a good friend of mine out of a 120mph on I-10 ticket in a c6 zr1

litig8r187
05-03-12, 07:28 PM
In Texas, any tint on the windshield below the AS1 line or 6", whichever is less, is illegal (hence my surprise they haven't hassled me about my,cumulative, 50% tint on the windshield). Front side windows are 25% max. There is no max on rear side or back glass. You can paint them black if you want to in Texas.

Texas is a two plate state BUT ...... last legislative session, they moved the license plate section of the Transportation Code. When the moved it, they forgot to include a penalty provision. So, it may be illegal to not display a front plate but there is no fine associated with it. DPS is taking the position that it is still an offense however many local jurisdictions have instructed their officers not to enforce the front plate law. I have told all the agencies in the jurisdiction that I am responsible for that we will not prosecute any front license plate tickets and, if they do write them, they will be automatically dismissed by my office.

rjoffe
05-03-12, 07:43 PM
I live right up the road (oak hill), and (cross my fingers) both cars of ours do not have front plates. We have not been been stopped once since we moved up here (4 years). I have had an accident where I was hit from the rear, and an officer took a report. She went to the front of the car to get the plate number, and it wasn't there ,she went right to the back and got it. No questions asked.

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 10:43 PM
What just happened?

Stillborn
05-03-12, 11:05 PM
deleting my posts i see? did someone get a little wind under their skirt? unbelievable.

Florian
05-04-12, 12:44 AM
remember the rules you agreed to. Keep it up, get a vacation, capeesh?

F

Stillborn
05-04-12, 12:48 AM
what rules exactly were broken?

TriTexan
05-04-12, 01:01 AM
I always make note of the officer's name. That way when the Fraternal Order of Police people call asking for donations, I can explain to them that I had set aside some money, but had to use it to pay officer XXX's absurd ticket. Now I wouldn't pull that if I were truly in the wrong, but for something that could have been a mistake on my part, wasn't dangerous, and was reasonable to issue a warning for...

Never been cited for a missing front plate, even tho we're supposed to have them in Texas. Been pulled over a few times and the officer mentioned it once or twice, but never cited me or even put it on the ticket.

litig8r187
05-04-12, 02:47 AM
Biggest problem in equipment violation cases is the new in car system DPS uses records all warnings issued y any DPS Trooper statewide. If you get stopped for no front LP or window tint and they see you have been warned before, the likelihood of a ticket goes up dramatically. this is certainly true if they see several warnings. This wasn't the case until about 18 months - 2 years ago.

Teutonaddict
05-04-12, 11:09 AM
Biggest problem in equipment violation cases is the new in car system DPS uses records all warnings issued y any DPS Trooper statewide. If you get stopped for no front LP or window tint and they see you have been warned before, the likelihood of a ticket goes up dramatically. this is certainly true if they see several warnings. This wasn't the case until about 18 months - 2 years ago.

Good info, litig8r, thanks for the post. Every day's a school day!

cdog533
05-04-12, 12:24 PM
Sometimes you can 'trade' a window tint or license plate ticket for a speeding ticket. I.E. you get pulled over and he tickets you for equipment violations instead of the speeding. I used to get the trifecta: tint, plate, seatbelt. That's like $225 versus a $95 speeding ticket. The cop will take that deal all day.

I've been running tint and no front plate for years and have only gotten a few tickets. I wouldn't worry about it. If you get one ticket per year, I'd be suprised.