: Working on a deal now...Few questions...

Mhaynes772
05-02-12, 05:11 PM
Okay, so got a couple of questions. Working a deal on a CTS-V sedan now. Sticker is $73,635 and they offered it at $69,500. Does that sound like a good deal? It's Black Diamond Tricoat with black interior, large pano roof, polished wheels, Recaro seats and maple wood trim package.

My other question is, I want black wheels and they offered to take black wheels off of a coupe and put them on the sedan. Is there any harm in that? I know that there is .5 inch difference in size on the rears, but it gives the sedan a little more aggressive look to me.

DangFoo
05-02-12, 05:36 PM
TrueCar is showing $4K to $6K off MSRP, so you're in the ball-park. I have the exact color and options that you're describing; also with yellow brake calipers. The coupe tires should be fine, but somebody that comes along to buy the coupe will be getting the short-end, unless the dealer goes back to the factory for an exchange. Not your concern!

Mhaynes772
05-02-12, 06:11 PM
Cool, I wonder what the chance of getting them to match the price of this one I found on eBay? I already called them and that's the price, FIRM, obviously. I don't mind waiting and having it shipped, although I would like to buy locally. The eBay one even already has the black wheels and suede shifter and steering wheel. Although I kind of prefer leather. I wonder if they'll match this price? I'm going back in the morning so we'll see. What do y'all think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/556-Horsepower-Brand-New-Black-Diamond-Black-Wheels-/221011434438?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item33754edbc6#ht_41622wt_1182

TexAg09
05-02-12, 06:29 PM
That eBay car seems like a pretty good deal to me. I would print that out and take it to the dealership. I'd say you should be able to get a few thousand more off the price the dealership is offering. If they won't budge, I'd seriously think about taking that eBay deal.

smackdownCTSV
05-02-12, 06:29 PM
$69.5K is a lot. Just last summer/fall they were $64K with rebates. I feel the same way about buying locally, yet the deals are always a trip. For new, I wouldn't worry about buying sight unseen since there will be no wear like with a used car. That one on ebay is nice, I saw that one this morning. While it's "new" it was "used" since it has over 150 miles on it. $66K isn't too bad. I wonder what the reserve is.

DangFoo
05-02-12, 07:24 PM
That eBay price is pretty solid compared to prices here locally. No harm in getting a no-obligation shipping/transport estimate. I bought two vehicles first-hand sight unseen and agree with the above comment that it's an easier call on a new vehicle that should have zero wear issues.

That's the twin of my car, just with silver calipers instead of yellow! As far as the alcantara (suede) wheel and shifter; It's a love-hate relationship with mine. I like the grip, but I can see that it's going to show for wear much sooner than leather or hard surface.

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 11:28 AM
COUPE WHEELS WILL NOT WORK ON A SEDAN...

Your dealer is a bit clueless. I also think you could get a better deal...

Mhaynes772
05-03-12, 12:21 PM
Why not?

smackdownCTSV
05-03-12, 12:31 PM
They will work, they'll just stick out a little bit.

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 12:36 PM
The offset is wrong for the sedan. They stick out and look ridiculous. I'd love to see them then try to stick the sedan wheels on the coupe. :eyeroll:

smackdownCTSV
05-03-12, 03:07 PM
Not ridiculous. Several have done it and it looks good. Wider wheels = wider tires = better grip.

quikag
05-03-12, 03:45 PM
Hilarious. I just bought a '12 white diamond sedan and wanted the black wheels. They had a red Coupe with the black wheels, so I had them swap my chrome wheels for those black wells. They work perfect, but I did notice the rear wheels are VERY close to the edge of the fenders/wheel well. It doesn't stick out, but it's very close. I thought that was a pretty aggressive stance for a stock car. I think it looks great, but I didn't have any idea the rear wheels on the Coupe were different than the V.

Lucky me.

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 05:32 PM
Not ridiculous. Several have done it and it looks good. Wider wheels = wider tires = better grip.

Tires are the same.

BWhite58
05-03-12, 05:39 PM
I think the price quoted is high .

smackdownCTSV
05-03-12, 08:16 PM
Tires are the same.

Yes, but you can put on 295 or 305s with the rear Coupe wheels, not so with the rear Sedan wheels.

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't hesitate putting 295s on sedan rims.

smackdownCTSV
05-03-12, 09:37 PM

You could, but they are more for a 10" rim.

TriTexan
05-03-12, 11:20 PM

So I've seen a lot of people talking about putting 295's or even 305's on the stock 9.5 inch sedan rear wheels. But everything I see online, esp. michelinman.com, says that the smallest recommended rim width for the 295's is a 10 inch rim. I know the tire shop can shove the tire on that rim, but that doesn't make it advisable, does it? What am I missing here...?

thebigjimsho
05-04-12, 10:32 AM
Of course, a wider rim is optimal. Getting the max tire on the max rim that will fit is what you want. But a 295 on a 9.5" rim is not bad. I had 275 tires on 9.25" rims on my '04 and that was such a great handling car. A 295 on 9.5" is almost identical to that.

Now, if you get g00bs who want 315s on stock rims, then I'd protest.

----------

Oh, and what does happen with sedan wheels on a coupe?

TriTexan
05-04-12, 10:43 AM
Getting the max tire on the max rim that will fit is what you want.

So then my next question is - since the Michelins were specifically designed for our V cars, why didn't they go with a 295 or 305 to begin with? I have to imagine that the wider tire compromises handling, cornering at speed, ride quality, or some other aspect. Everyone here seems to want to throw down massively wide tires, but no one talks about the trade-offs of doing so. I can't imagine the engineers who built this thing to begin with didn't think through the tire size issue very carefully. Then again, I guess a lot of people are modding their cars and are now traction limited, and 0-60 takes a back seat to handling for many of them?

smackdownCTSV
05-04-12, 10:56 AM
^ Probably the same reason why Ford did the same thing.

thebigjimsho
05-04-12, 10:59 AM
I fail to see 10mm doing much to handling either way. Personally, I'm happy with 285s. But if the PSS is only available in 295, I'm getting it.

And, do the math. What is the tire to rim ratio of 285/9.5" and 255/9"? Come on back with the answer. kthanks.