: recaro or not recaro ?

rchunn
05-01-12, 08:16 PM
i am interested in a perticular cts v that dont have recaros , and i am wanting the cts v for "power and comfort" are the recaros as confortable as the standard seats in these cars .. thanks ahead for your input, Randy

atcbrownie
05-01-12, 08:20 PM
I cant say for sure that the non recaros are more comfy because I have never ridden in them, but the recaros are plenty comfy even on long road trips. I had a 2011 mustang gt before my cts-v with recaros and the recaros are way more comfy than the stock mustang seats. I also have heard that selling a cts-v without recaros can be difficult.

TriTexan
05-01-12, 08:46 PM
I'll second that selling a CTS-V without the Recaros will be more difficult. Bear in mind that the Recaros are "driving seats". That is - they are made to hold you firmly in place while cornering, accelerating, and braking. Additionally, they include the heated and cooled options. The standard seats are probably comfy - I've sat in them briefly. The Recaros are a little firmer but unless you have an unusual body shape or weight, they do really nice. In the end, if you are looking at a used car or one in dealer stock, you have to go with what you feel is right for you. On a new CTS, those are a hefty $3,400 option. Personally, I'd look for one WITH the Recaros. But if that is a budget concern, you can have plenty of fun with a used CTS-V with the standard seats.

Crystal Red CTS-V
05-01-12, 08:55 PM
Several previous threads on this same topic. If you're willing to take the time to get the seats set up properly, the Recaros can be great. I found the standard seats to be very comfortable compared to spending $3400 more for the Recaros.

Moneypenny
05-01-12, 09:30 PM
It's a very personal decision. I went without Recaros because I don't plan on tracking, and found the standard seats to be plenty comfortable. Saved the extra cost, though I acknowledge that down the road it may drop the potential resale value of my car. That said, the wagon with the manual is such a rare beast that the presence or absence of the Recaros might not be a big difference maker. Time will tell. I am happy with my decision. My car is very comfy, which makes my wife happy, which makes me happy. :)

Stillborn
05-01-12, 09:49 PM
as stated it's ALL about resale. those that know or are "in the know" will not do without a significant factory option such as the recaros.

Mike02z
05-01-12, 09:56 PM
I have driven in both and the Recaros were the only way to go for me. The non Recaros are probably more comfortable for long highway drives but do any spirited driving and you will want the Recaros.

Chrispy
05-01-12, 10:09 PM
I just ordered a V Wagon and went without Recaros.
Reasons:
1 I've heard tons of complaints on the seats rocking and creaking
2 I found the base seats more comfortable
3 For the limited amount of time I'll be lapping the base seats should be fine....I'm more of a drag racer.

I also decided against the sunroof due to rigidity and noise issues as well.

Base seats, no sunroof and six speed manual should make for a rarer car down the road too :)

Basically I want the car quiet, comfortable and fast as stink :)

Blk N Blwn
05-01-12, 11:05 PM
I did not get the Recaro's and frankly I cannot see the average person walking away from a sale because of seats. A super clean car with low miles, the right color, transmission, and price are what most people will base their decision on. $3,400 for seats is a bit on the outrageous side.

thebigjimsho
05-01-12, 11:47 PM
I would not buy one without Recaros.

Here is the deal: the Recaros aren't seats that you fall and sink into. They are firm. However, they are incredibly supportive and can be driven in for days at a time...literally...

CTSV12
05-02-12, 07:26 PM
Some like them, some do not. You will have to decide if you do. Having had both with and without, other than race time, I do not care for them. They may make the car easier to sell, but you will not get anywhere near the cost back.

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 12:26 PM
Yes you will.

Stillborn
05-03-12, 09:05 PM
it's funny to watch these guys second guess their mistakes. give me a cts-v minus the supercharger. it cost to much. c'mon man! i'll take a cts-v please, minus the brembos..i'll settle for drum breaks. smh

Blk N Blwn
05-03-12, 11:03 PM
Yea I would compare a supercharger and high performance brakes to a set of seats. How funny.

Glad you like em, ya better, they cost ya $3400 bucks. My money will go to real go fast parts.

Stillborn
05-03-12, 11:09 PM
you already dumped 70k (after tax title reg) on a car. if you were really thrifty you would've bought a certified used for less with every option and still had mod money. it's all semantics at that point. but you did good. keep up the solid work.

Blk N Blwn
05-03-12, 11:21 PM
You have no idea what I paid for the car and don't appreciate the comment about making a mistake along with the smart a$$ comments about superchargers and drum brakes. If you like the seats good for you. I do not think they are worth the money and it is not a question of affordability for me. Enjoy your seats in your 09, I am sure you can convince yourself it was money well spent.

Stillborn
05-03-12, 11:36 PM
woah woah woah, pull the reigns there buddy, nothing was directed at you individually it was a broad jab (light sarcasm) at all the guys trying to justify buying a super sedan with 6 cyl cts seating. but you did attack my comment directly and therefor that last response was directed back at you. don't be so sensitive old fella. and for what it's worth, I'll out drive you all day every day with my 09. now if thats a fact, tell me, am i lying?

Blk N Blwn
05-03-12, 11:51 PM
I guess I am an old dude because only a youngster would make such statements about how fast they are when they have no idea who they are talking too. Just cause I am a newbie on this site does not mean I am not a car guy with other rides and racing experiences.

How could you be lying, your a "in the know kind of guy"

Yup I am sure you are much faster than me. Congrats. Gotta love Internet racing.

Stillborn
05-04-12, 12:54 AM
i'll just nod and smile as if my wife was talking to me at this point, you're right hunny...you're right. just know it goes both ways. and don't be so high and mighty like your financed 2012 is any faster or better (mr. 6 cyl seats) then my owned outright 09. enjoy those payments brotha. =]

Moneypenny
05-04-12, 01:14 AM
@Stillborn, I'm scratching my head wondering how you reached the conclusion that telling people that their opinions are wrong is a good idea.

SoCal_V
05-04-12, 03:33 AM
i'll just nod and smile as if my wife was talking to me at this point, you're right hunny...you're right. just know it goes both ways. and don't be so high and mighty like your financed 2012 is any faster or better (mr. 6 cyl seats) then my owned outright 09. enjoy those payments brotha. =]

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I can't help it--you're exactly the type of guy I don't want people associating with CST-V. Your attitude and internet bravado is embarrassing. I find it impossible to believe you're actually 43yrs old and still so immature.

thebigjimsho
05-04-12, 11:47 AM
Yea I would compare a supercharger and high performance brakes to a set of seats. How funny.

Glad you like em, ya better, they cost ya $3400 bucks. My money will go to real go fast parts.I tracked my '04 V, hard. The seats were a bitch as I had to shift around and adjust hundreds of times each session. The V2 base seats are WORSE.

You wanna go fast? Make sure your driving environment is set. When I am in my Recaros, I don't move, at all. I am locked in. And they are long distance comfortable in ALL situations.

Hey, if you like your skinny, flat, unsupportive thrones and spend your money on heat exchangers and injectors, have at it.

And that $3400 does have resale value.

Plus, they don't make the V look cheap...

smackdownCTSV
05-04-12, 11:53 AM
Recaro's +1! They are firm, but they are supposed to be. They are fine for 4+ hour road trips. The standard seats are too flat and not comfortable enough to choose over the Recaro's.

Most-wanted
05-04-12, 12:18 PM
Here is my take on this without getting into a huge dispute:) I have had two 2011 V's, one with and one without the Recaro's/Suede steering wheel. When I bought my first one I was like no way Im paying the extra $ and found one without. The seats were fine but definitely flat and lacked any kind of support. I missed the V and recently bought another one. Since the used market $prices are ridiculous I bought another new one and looked for a 2011. I must've found one of the last 11's LOL... It had the suede and Recaro's. I beat the dealership up so bad and ultimately paid the same as I did the first time +$500. So it was worth it to me. The seats are night and day difference from the standard seats. The cooling system is amazing. I live in Fl/Ga and they work wonders. I would highly recommend the Recaro's if you drive spiritedly or do HPDE's which is what I do. If your just driving it as a daily and going to the store then the possible xtra $ might not be worth it. But if you ask me, if your buying a CTSV you are buying a dedicated sports sedan so why not buy the best supportive seats. Regardless of what people say to justify the cost there is no comparison between the seats. The Recaro's are worth every penny if you are driving the car as it was intended.

Moparman4444
05-04-12, 01:17 PM
I agree with Most-Wanted. I had the stock seats and found them to be just fine even for spirited street driving. I also tried the Recaro's and found them to be way too hard for daily driving IMHO. Midwest streets are brutal because of the potholes! If I lived in the south then Recaro's would be a no brainer but up north, I don't know.

A better question that should be asked is, WHY SHOULD WE HAVE TO CHOOSE SEATS TO BEGIN WITH? Cadillac should produce cars with exceptional seats standard that are comfortable, supportive and adjustable for their flagship car don't you think?

Chrysler SRT8 seats are way more comfortable than the Recaro's yet supportive and they don't cost any more. I love the car but must admit I'm miffed that Cadillac missed the mark with both seats.

Stillborn
05-04-12, 02:27 PM
the ones that know, know. for the others who cant wrap their heads around performance needs and all that implies, know this, the truth always hurts, and the biggest lies are the ones we tell ourselves. those with the 6cyl seats will most likely get some Dunlop all seasons once they need a tire change...maybe add some Kmart brand oil on the next oil change as well. you closet car buffs are so transparent it's beyond hysterical. if your put off by my chutzpah, i'm equally put off by the white collar wanna-be's that go to the office and say, "my car can do this" when it's a fact you'll never experienced any of it personally. enjoy the fantasy and bragging rights, as you won't be truly enjoying your car. =] (refer back to the underlined sentence)

Crystal Red CTS-V
05-04-12, 03:38 PM
those with the 6cyl seats will most likely get some Dunlop all seasons once they need a tire change...maybe add some Kmart brand oil on the next oil change as well.

Yikes! I'd better keep an eye on the guys at the dealership when they do the free oil changes for the next four years! :eek:

B T Williams
05-04-12, 04:17 PM
Most automotive journalist who authored the many magazine CTS-V tests that I have read found the Recaro seats to be great for all out road course driving but hard and somewhat uncomfortable for everyday driving. Before making a decision as to which seating option to buy, I test drove a CTS-V with Recaros (on PBIR's road course) and a regular CTS with standard seats and came to the same conclusion that most automotive journalists had.

While the dealer I eventually bought my 2011 CTS-V from always has at least six V's in stock, they are always equipped with Recaros. Therefore, I had to order my CTS-V to get one equipped with the standard seats that I prefer.

That said, seating that may be comfortable for one person may be uncomfortable for another, and vice versa. So the decision to go with standard seats or with Recaros is simply a matter of personal preference.

Regarding resale value, Kelly Blue Book lists a private sale price premium of less than $1,000 for a 2010 CTS-V equipped with Recaros as compared to one with the standard seats.

Stillborn
05-04-12, 04:42 PM
most journalists couldn't do ten push-ups. core (ab) strength is paramount to maintain a comfortable upright seating position,.. meaning, maintaining overall fitness is key to seating comfort. weather you want to admit it or not. weak abs means a weak lower back. a weak lower back means discomfort. it's not the seats.

SoCal_V
05-04-12, 04:58 PM
most journalists couldn't do ten push-ups. core (ab) strength is paramount to maintain a comfortable upright seating position,.. meaning, maintaining overall fitness is key to seating comfort. weather you want to admit it or not. weak abs means a weak lower back. a weak lower back means discomfort. it's not the seats.

Not true, it is the seats for some people.

One seat will be more or less comfortable based upon padding, design and how it fits each individual's body style, height, etc.

Although core strength does affect back pain, that has little to nothing to do with one's subjective evaluation of overall basic seat comfort.

BTW, speaking in absolutes and implying that people are in denial is argumentative, and it's getting old.

Pphilthy
05-04-12, 06:38 PM
Before I ordered my V I drove both options and there was no question, Recaro's... They look much better then the standard seats and offer the support required to hold you in place.... But I'm more of a turn left, turn right, hard on the brakes, back on the gas type of driver :)

To each their own, but I did laugh about person saying they wanted the faster drag race option and then they selected the manual - lol.

Blk N Blwn
05-05-12, 07:31 AM
How is that you know how I bought my car? You are one insecure dude, I am really glad you own your 09 outright and that you feel the need to let everyone know, heck it's 4 years old the note should be paid by now. Lol

Trapspeed
05-05-12, 09:13 AM
The biggest problem is personal preferences, for some unknown baffling reason, get someone else's panties bunched up. Who gives a fat rat turd which seats someone picked for the reasons they picked them. You like yours, I like mine....so be it. It's all good, guys. No matter the seats we still drive a supreme machine.

Mike02z
05-05-12, 09:14 AM
Guys, chill. They are just seats. No need to start attacking each other back and forth. If you like the stock seats that is great. That is why we have choices. There is no right or wrong here. Just opinions. I come here because it lacks the drama of other forums. Don't push those of us who like the atmosphere away for some silly no-win argument. Personal attacks are not appropriate and it does not matter who started it. One of you be an adult and STOP it, please.

h8-2goslow
05-05-12, 09:51 AM
I sat in both versions, with and without Recaros. I had to go without, because my head and neck are fused (arthritis) and I can't sit in a seat that pushes my head forward. Regular seats are also easier to get in and out of. I'm pleased with the stock seats.

Blk N Blwn
05-05-12, 12:58 PM
Guys, chill. They are just seats. No need to start attacking each other back and forth. If you like the stock seats that is great. That is why we have choices. There is no right or wrong here. Just opinions. I come here because it lacks the drama of other forums. Don't push those of us who like the atmosphere away for some silly no-win argument. Personal attacks are not appropriate and it does not matter who started it. One of you be an adult and STOP it, please.
That's the point right. The OP is looking for opinions on which seats people prefer. Since I like the standard seats (and for the record I said nothing bad about the Recaro's) appearantly me and others have to justify our mistake and are non performance orientated , should have ordered the car without a SC or Brembo's and somehow someway I financed my car. F...cking really?!?!?

Nice forum you fella's got here, can't even offer an opinion without being slammed. My first Cadillac and the people on this forum are conveying the exempletory stereotype of V owners. Now I know why I like the Mopar folks.

marktanner
05-05-12, 02:09 PM
I had the base leather seats in my '08 CTS, and have the Recaros in my '09 V. I have also had other CTSs as loaners, which gives me a good perspective on both seats. IMO, the Recaros are vastly superior to the base seat, both in comfort and lateral support. All of these seats are compromised by their thin shell design, so none of them have a lot of padding. The Recaro has firmer foam, and has more shaping, plus has 14 way adjustment. With the correct adjustment, they can be superbly comfortable, including all day long distance comfort. Unfortunately, it's also easy to make them uncomfortable, too. The adjustment is really critical to the comfort, but it's worth it once found. I doubt most journalists would take the time to adjust the seats as they might need to be, as they jump from car to car so often. Part of the problem is there isn't a true seat "pocket" for the buttocks as many cars have, or rely on soft padding to create. With the Recaro, one most adjust the seat bottom to be all the way down in the back and up in the front, and that creates the necessary pocket. then the backrest gets adjusted, especially the lumbar. Lastly, the headrest must be somewhat raised for most people to have their heads clear the head rest. Not everyone is used to tilting the seat all the way back, but I do think that's one of the tricks. Everyone who sits in my seats comment on how comfortable they are. When I first got the car, they were poorly adjusted and tortuous in comfort, and it took me two weeks to get them comfortable. No regrets now.

The base seats have weaker padding. While less critical of adjustment, the lack of support caused me to fidget a lot more on long trips, plus there was virtually no lateral support in the curves, just basically the safety belts. I found myself to be a lot more fatigued after driving a car with the base seats than with the Recaros.

There can be some other caveats, though. If someone is very broad, they may not fit the Recaro. I take a 42" jacket, so I'm not tiny, but I'm not huge, either. Someone much larger than me might not fit them, and might actually get some lateral support from the base seats as well. The base seats are much easier to enter, and especially exit. I find the exit feature to be a necessity with the Recaro, but don't really need it with the base seat. With the exit feature, it has become a non-issue for me, though. Someone with long legs will find the base seats to be pretty short, and the Recaro has adjustable thigh support, so that can be an issue for some people in favor of the Recaro.. While the head rest on the base seat isn't quite as intrusive as the one in the Recaro, I think it benefits from being raised a bit also, to give more head clearance and more comfort if you actually want to rest your head. Lastly, while the cooling feature in the Recaro is nice, it's not as critical as it might be in the cars with leather, because the cloth inserts are not that hot, and breathe much better. The effect was really more noticeable for me in my previous car with the leather. Still, the cooling feature is quite pleasant, and it certainly doesn[t suck to have it.

JFJr
05-05-12, 02:55 PM
With the Recaro, one most adjust the seat bottom to be all the way down in the back and up in the front, and that creates the necessary pocket. Not everyone is used to tilting the seat all the way back, but I do think that's one of the tricks. Everyone who sits in my seats comment on how comfortable they are. Good review, Mark. I have the same experience with the standard seats. The combination of the standard seats and the soft suspension of the base CTS makes it tiring for me to put up with the uncoordinated movements of the suspension and to keep from sliding in its seats.

Tilting the back of the Recaros is a good trick. It is more of a "fighter pilot" position to help with countering g-forces. Ha haa! When I raise the entire seat for good visibility and tilt it back slightly, I also get a great driving position for the manual transmission. I'm 6' 185# and size 44 jacket.

Jud

Mike02z
05-05-12, 03:44 PM
There can be some other caveats, though. If someone is very broad, they may not fit the Recaro. I take a 42" jacket, so I'm not tiny, but I'm not huge, either. Someone much larger than me might not fit them, and might actually get some lateral support from the base seats as well. The base seats are much easier to enter, and especially exit. I find the exit feature to be a necessity with the Recaro, but don't really need it with the base seat. With the exit feature, it has become a non-issue for me, though. Someone with long legs will find the base seats to be pretty short, and the Recaro has adjustable thigh support, so that can be an issue for some people in favor of the Recaro.. While the head rest on the base seat isn't quite as intrusive as the one in the Recaro, I think it benefits from being raised a bit also, to give more head clearance and more comfort if you actually want to rest your head. Lastly, while the cooling feature in the Recaro is nice, it's not as critical as it might be in the cars with leather, because the cloth inserts are not that hot, and breathe much better. The effect was really more noticeable for me in my previous car with the leather. Still, the cooling feature is quite pleasant, and it certainly doesn[t suck to have it.

I don't know about that....I'm 6'3" and 300 lbs and fit perfectly in the Recaros. It took a while to get them set right, but once I did, they fit me perfectly. I also have back problems and the V with the Recaros in the only car I have (We have 5) that does not hurt my back during long trips. For me, I prefer the Recaros. I don't really care that they cost 3400. I don't really care about resale. I bought them because they worked better for me. If the stock seats work better for some, great. Nothing wrong with that. We all have different tastes.

thebigjimsho
05-05-12, 04:16 PM
I don't know about that....I'm 6'3" and 300 lbs and fit perfectly in the Recaros. It took a while to get them set right, but once I did, they fit me perfectly. I also have back problems and the V with the Recaros in the only car I have (We have 5) that does not hurt my back during long trips. For me, I prefer the Recaros. I don't really care that they cost 3400. I don't really care about resale. I bought them because they worked better for me. If the stock seats work better for some, great. Nothing wrong with that. We all have different tastes.

You and I are about the same size. Ive said it before, but I'll say it again.

When I bought my V, it was in San Antonio. I sat in Recaros before and liked them. After 3 hours, my back was killing me. I was distraught. But, I opened everything up. Then, over the next few hours I tailored everything back in.

For the next few weeks, I tweaked ever so slightly. That original trip from TX to MA was great. I've never felt anything but comfort in my Recaros. And amazing support.

When I badly pulled my back last fall, a day of driving in my Town Car would wear me out. And it was painful leaving the seat. Id feel worse leaving than when I got in and sat down. I hadn't driven the V and wanted to take it out on a drive. Not only did the support help my back, but my back felt better getting out than when I first got in.

And last summer, I was driving home from Charlotte. I went west to Tail of the Dragon and drove that. I was going to find a hotel around northern Virginia. When I got to Richmond it was late. But I decided to drive some Blue Ridge Parkway. What better time, right? After a couple hours, I got back to the Interstate. When I got really tired, it was too late to get a hotel. So I found a big Sheetz gas station right off the highway and slept there for 4 hours.

Got up and drive the rest of the way home. Recaros are better than the base seats and better than beds...

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
05-06-12, 09:44 AM
i am interested in a perticular cts v that dont have recaros , and i am wanting the cts v for "power and comfort" are the recaros as confortable as the standard seats in these cars .. thanks ahead for your input, Randy
My '09 CTS-V has the standard seats, and I'm considering the possibility of buying a pair of used Recaro's for this vehicle. The standard seats really have no lateral support and I never feel I'm being kept in my seat. And on top of that, anything I put on the passenger seat goes flying off the side, because there is nothing there to stop it. I am comparing this to my '09 Nissan GT-R, which I know is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Then again, my previous DD was an '05 Audi S4, which had Recaro seats, and I felt they were very good.

BigDog001
05-06-12, 09:52 AM

I am 6'6" and have the Recaro's - I agree with all the comments that once you get the right adjustment for yourself they are wonderful -- I love them and never feel like I am sliding around -- they are great!

M5eater
05-06-12, 10:49 AM
The only problem I have with the Recaro's anymore is that they're so damn flat and hard, but then again, all real recaro's are flat and hard. They're a good compromise that leans more twoard a track seat, but in my experience, there are thrones that compromise better for comfort *and* still hold you tightly.

The reason you want Recaro's in the V2 is because the standard Lear seat are even worse. They're small, they're unsupportive even in the base car, and in a V you *will* be sliding everywhere.

Cadillac really needed an -inbetween- for the 3.6/touring sedans and what would be 'standard' in the V like the germans have.
A comfort seat- the standard lear
a sport seat- the SRX seats are wider and with some more bolstering would have been perfect
The full Recaro's for the V.

94danstang
05-06-12, 11:03 AM
The base seats are much easier to enter, and especially exit. I find the exit feature to be a necessity with the Recaro, but don't really need it with the base seat. With the exit feature, it has become a non-issue for me, though. it.

Mark - curious what this 'exit feature' is that you were talking about? Haven't heard of that before.

Also - noticed you were in Hot-Lanta. Any club or track events in the area that you know of?

Thanks!

DAN

concorso
05-06-12, 12:05 PM
That's the point right. The OP is looking for opinions on which seats people prefer. Since I like the standard seats (and for the record I said nothing bad about the Recaro's) appearantly me and others have to justify our mistake and are non performance orientated , should have ordered the car without a SC or Brembo's and somehow someway I financed my car. F...cking really?!?!?

Nice forum you fella's got here, can't even offer an opinion without being slammed. My first Cadillac and the people on this forum are not conveying the exemplary stereotype of V owners. Now I know why I like the Mopar folks.Theres no need to paint everyone with the same brush... Only 1 individual was a dick. PS...fixed in bold :P

M5eater
05-06-12, 12:09 PM
Mark - curious what this 'exit feature' is that you were talking about? Haven't heard of that before.
in the features menu on the DIC you can set the seat and steering wheel to move backwards when you turn the vehicle off and open the door. Similarly, it will return to the posistion per the keyfob that's assigned to the seat memory when you start the car.

It's a fantastic feature, there's simply no elegent way to get out of those chairs without it .

thebigjimsho
05-06-12, 12:20 PM
I don't know why, but I didn't use the exit feature until recently.

Being a big d00d, I had a way of squeezing through without bumping my leg against the wheel of my back against the bolster. But I noticed that all of my jeans had the belt loop along my backeft hip tearing off. It took me awhile to figure out why.

The easy exit feature is awesome...

marktanner
05-06-12, 01:23 PM
Dan, I guess the exit feature has already been explained. Another benefit of the memory feature is that if someone messes with your seat position, like a valet, car wash, mechanic, etc, one touch gets it back to perfect.

As far as track events, there are lots in the regional area. BMW club, Porsche club, and some private schools have track events all summer at Road Atlanta, Roebling Road in Savannah, Barber near Birmingham, and others. The tracks usually have the events listed. I don't do track events anymore, because of a neck problem, though I did do the free Cadillac CTS-V event at Road Atlanta last fall. All of the CTS-Vs there had the Recaros, BTW.

Trapspeed
05-06-12, 08:38 PM
But I noticed that all of my jeans had the belt loop along my backeft hip tearing off.

I am not alone!! It's either that or the door frame ripping it off sliding my big kazoo in.

thebigjimsho
05-07-12, 01:59 AM
lol!

captain slow
05-07-12, 03:40 AM
i have one without recaro seats wanted them but im not going to the track so $3500 is a lot of money for some seats. the stock seats are comfy i like them.

smackdownCTSV
05-07-12, 10:09 AM
$1700 a seat is pretty expensive, especially since they rock/creak/squeak, so that's another reason why I'm glad I purchased used.

94danstang
05-07-12, 05:32 PM
in the features menu on the DIC you can set the seat and steering wheel to move backwards when you turn the vehicle off and open the door. Similarly, it will return to the posistion per the keyfob that's assigned to the seat memory when you start the car.

It's a fantastic feature, there's simply no elegent way to get out of those chairs without it .

Excellent - thanks very much!

Kadonny
05-07-12, 06:00 PM

Nice forum you fella's got here, can't even offer an opinion without being slammed. My first Cadillac and the people on this forum are conveying the exempletory stereotype of V owners. Now I know why I like the Mopar folks.

Don't take it so hard, there are a few in every crowd that feel the need to puff up their chest and try to make themselves look bigger than they are, try to ignore them.

I had the standard seats in my 09V and was perfectly happy with them. I never tracked the car and only ever used it for every day commute. For me, the standard seats were just fine and held me in position while driving 98% of the time. Yes, there was a time or two where I may have slid, but how often was I ever pushing this car to that point in a commute....hardly ever.

And to compare seats to a supercharger or brakes is ridiculous. They are seats, something your ass goes in.

PS: The Mopar forums can be just as bad with idiots, you'll find them on every forum you visit. Trolls gotta troll.

Stillborn
05-07-12, 10:26 PM
this is too funny...4 pgs of these goofy lame excuses as to why people think the standard 6 cyl seats are even a valid consideration. you sheeple are the majority sadly enough. it's good there are a few trail blazers left in the world. albeit not many. to bad the sofa seats didn't come with a ottoman. lmao!

BLK 1CE
05-09-12, 03:27 PM
Intentionally ignoring all the BS and getting back to the original post with a relevant comment...

I love the Recaros, my wife hates 'em. They are the only thing she doesn't like about the car. She hates having to climb in and out over the bolster. This has it's advantages, namely she drives the car less :-)

Vwagon2012
05-09-12, 10:01 PM
I think a lot of people forget that they bought a Cadillac. Isn't it supposed to be a luxury car? I bought mine to be a high performance luxury car. I want the most comfortable seats. They are not the Recaro's. Do drive around with your shocks in sport mode. No, because its way to firm for daily driving. When you think about Cadillac you think luxury. Yes the 6 speed manual will be more rare. That' s because of "Old School Thinking". All high end cars are going auto. Why? More gears. A four speed was they way to go in "The Old Days". Why? 4 gears, not 2 or 3. Time to face the facts. Auto's are the wave of the future. Sorry to burst some bubbles, but facts are facts.

Mike02z
05-09-12, 10:19 PM
Some of us enjoy rowing the gears. I don't drag my car so consistent times are not a major concern. I don't care what the "wave of the future" is. I don't care how rare it is or whether it will get me more at resale. You can have my manual when you pry it from my cold dead hands :) For you folks who like the auto and the regular seats, great. Choices are good. We all share the same passion for our V's and that is the important part.

thebigjimsho
05-09-12, 11:22 PM
I think a lot of people forget that they bought a Cadillac. Isn't it supposed to be a luxury car? I bought mine to be a high performance luxury car. I want the most comfortable seats. They are not the Recaro's. Do drive around with your shocks in sport mode. No, because its way to firm for daily driving. When you think about Cadillac you think luxury. Yes the 6 speed manual will be more rare. That' s because of "Old School Thinking". All high end cars are going auto. Why? More gears. A four speed was they way to go in "The Old Days". Why? 4 gears, not 2 or 3. Time to face the facts. Auto's are the wave of the future. Sorry to burst some bubbles, but facts are facts.

Then I guess you drive your car to play Bingo and back. Because the Recaros ARE more comfortable. And if not for the first 30 minutes, then over a day of driving. Enjoy your park bench that makes a V look cheap.

Stillborn
05-09-12, 11:35 PM
Then I guess you drive your car to play Bingo and back. Because the Recaros ARE more comfortable. And if not for the first 30 minutes, then over a day of driving. Enjoy your park bench that makes a V look cheap.

haha! never truer words have been spoken. the white collar magazine racers don't have enough life experience to make the proper choices.
the results are in,... and the park bench was not on the ballot.

Vwagon2012
05-09-12, 11:52 PM
Some people like the noises that Recaro's make. I don't. My bench on the way to and from Bingo is quiet all the time. As a Cadillac should be. The Recaro's make the car sound cheap. I'll take comfort and quiet every time.

Chrispy
05-10-12, 12:01 AM
Before I ordered my V I drove both options and there was no question, Recaro's... They look much better then the standard seats and offer the support required to hold you in place.... But I'm more of a turn left, turn right, hard on the brakes, back on the gas type of driver :)

To each their own, but I did laugh about person saying they wanted the faster drag race option and then they selected the manual - lol.

Are you referring to my post because if so you misunderstood. I drag race more than lap / autocross so the std seats are fine for me. I never said the manual was faster, I just enjoy drag racing six speed cars. (I've gone mid 10s-11s ETs at 12x-13x mph hundreds of times in six spd manual GM cars)

I converted one of my cars from manual to auto, was bored silly and hated the driving experience and actually converted back.

Cheers,
Chris

Stillborn
05-10-12, 12:22 AM
it's kinda hillbilly to not know exactly what it is your buying and why,... than to get confused, convert it, then convert it back again? thats insane at this age/stage of the game. 90% of the time, give me a stick(I've owned over a dozen) when it comes to the driving experience. for this car i chose the auto for several reasons. the 1st being it's faster. the second being i get 3 shifting modes. slap -shift, firing off non stop wheel shifts, and pimpin ain't easy leaning to the side Vegas style auto mode.my v1 (obviously) was a stick, this car is light years ahead of the first rendition and can get it done with the auto,& i wanted to ask other guys how it feels to miss shift. =]~

Kadonny
05-10-12, 10:40 AM
Wow, I'm amazed at some of the pompous *******-ish comments made by some of the Recaro supporters.

It's a 3k option, some people want them, some don't. Is it all that hard to understand?

Oh and to those that think they will get their money back on trade in, good luck with that. My trade they didn't give a crap about the seats, it was all about the miles.

thebigjimsho
05-10-12, 10:55 AM
That's a dipstick dealer. On a private sale, you'll get it back.

----------

Some people like the noises that Recaro's make. I don't. My bench on the way to and from Bingo is quiet all the time. As a Cadillac should be. The Recaro's make the car sound cheap. I'll take comfort and quiet every time.

What noise does a Recaro make? I've never heard a Recaro noise. Hey, if you want to make stuff up, have at it. It'll just be hard to take you seriously in future debates...

Kadonny
05-10-12, 11:37 AM
That's a dipstick dealer. On a private sale, you'll get it back.Making a bold statement with nothing to back you up.

What noise does a Recaro make? I've never heard a Recaro noise. Hey, if you want to make stuff up, have at it. It'll just be hard to take you seriously in future debates...

Maybe not noise, but how about the rocking? Fully documented here over and over.

I have nothing against the Recaro's, I like them. But to say they are a "must" have at a price tag of 3k, with no debate or other opinions, is absolutely wrong.

thebigjimsho
05-10-12, 12:43 PM
It is a must have if you like to turn. And mine don't rock.

As for nothing backing me up on resale of Recaros, it takes one buyer. That's it. You telling me that buyer does not exist?

Kadonny
05-10-12, 01:04 PM
It is a must have if you like to turn. And mine don't rock.

As for nothing backing me up on resale of Recaros, it takes one buyer. That's it. You telling me that buyer does not exist?

So because your's don't rock, nobody's do? Face it, some rock and it's a drawback.

Absurd argument on resale. There *may* be one or more than one person/s out there, chances are you won't find him. I'll guarantee you that there is not a person out there willing to pay you what you paid the dealer for the seats. And until someone can show me that they are getting x% of their money back, I'll be firmly in the camp that you won't recoup the cost. My opinion is based upon my experience too, not some fictional person that *may* exist.

Vwagon2012
05-10-12, 06:11 PM
KBB your car is worth 41,500.00 That's with 45000 miles and in excellent shape with Recaro's. 42,900.00 with 30,000. Guess its the mileage that really counts. But I guess Kelly Blue Book is wrong because your in the know.

Pphilthy
05-10-12, 07:42 PM
Are you referring to my post because if so you misunderstood. I drag race more than lap / autocross so the std seats are fine for me. I never said the manual was faster, I just enjoy drag racing six speed cars. (I've gone mid 10s-11s ETs at 12x-13x mph hundreds of times in six spd manual GM cars)

I converted one of my cars from manual to auto, was bored silly and hated the driving experience and actually converted back.

Cheers,
Chris

To each their own Chris and honestly sorry if i offended you in any way by laughing at your post, wasn't meant to be an attack, just made me laugh... The fact is the auto is faster (drag or road course) and the Recaro's will enable you to be faster on a road course because you will not be sliding around... Normal daily driving = really no difference besides if you're stuck in traffic...

I also really like the way the Recaro's look and feel - but again, to each their own...

I also own a few other toys, and my dedicated cars are setup to yield the best out right performance for the given application... My time attack car sports straight cut dog box, and my drag car sports an auto of course... I have a couple of other 'street' cars that are no slouches, both manuals trans because they only came that way and I agree, manuals do offer a certain fun factor that is missed in an auto...

The CTS-V is my 'normal' car that my wife demanded I purchase so I can take the kids out when she's out and about in her Q5... She has no clue about cars and she said four door luxury car with an automatic, check :)

smackdownCTSV
05-10-12, 08:20 PM
Manuals are faster, auto's are quicker.

And who uses KBB anymore? LOL!

Chrispy
05-10-12, 09:10 PM
To each their own Chris and honestly sorry if i offended you in any way by laughing at your post, wasn't meant to be an attack, just made me laugh... The fact is the auto is faster (drag or road course) and the Recaro's will enable you to be faster on a road course because you will not be sliding around... Normal daily driving = really no difference besides if you're stuck in traffic...

I also really like the way the Recaro's look and feel - but again, to each their own...

I also own a few other toys, and my dedicated cars are setup to yield the best out right performance for the given application... My time attack car sports straight cut dog box, and my drag car sports an auto of course... I have a couple of other 'street' cars that are no slouches, both manuals trans because they only came that way and I agree, manuals do offer a certain fun factor that is missed in an auto...

The CTS-V is my 'normal' car that my wife demanded I purchase so I can take the kids out when she's out and about in her Q5... She has no clue about cars and she said four door luxury car with an automatic, check :)

No worries...no offense taken, I just wanted to clarify what I meant. Sounds like you have quite a few nice rides there. :)

Most-wanted
05-10-12, 09:26 PM
I can tell you first hand it is much harder to sell without recaro's. Every single person who was interested in my 2011 I was trying to sell without recaro's was turned off that I didnt have them..... Its a silly debate as the other guy stated. It only takes one person as is the guy who bought mine without. As far as trade in, forget about it. Dealers hate these cars and dont want to give any money regardless of options. I have a ton of close contacts and no one wanted it. It had 2K miles on it and everyone offered below wholesale in the mid 40"s LOL... I was forced to sell private party. Just a personal experience. I find it hard to believe people are arguing over a $3K option on a $70K car. Bottom line is you either like them or dont. Drive both and make the choice. Ive had both and prefer the Recaro's as I use the car as it was intended. The cooloing system is absolutely awesome as well:)

bbang
05-10-12, 10:06 PM
I have been on many long trips with the recaros. They have been great. took about a week to get them dialed in.

I guess it is a self preference i guess.

Stillborn
05-10-12, 10:44 PM
it's not self preference, it's sheer ignorance and a sheep like mentality that makes one choose the 6cyl seat. why must the park bench owners feel like they must defend their choices? you chose the junk seats. period.

Moneypenny
05-10-12, 11:06 PM
it's not self preference, it's sheer ignorance and a sheep like mentality that makes one choose the 6cyl seat. why must the park bench owners feel like they must defend their choices? you chose the junk seats. period.

*sigh* Jersey Shore, let me clarify this for you. "It's not self preference, it's sheer ignorance and a sheep like mentality that makes one choose a $3500 seat. Why must (this particular) Recaro owner feel like they must defend their choice? You spent your money like an idiot. Period."

But see, I would never say anything like that because we are different people and I can't put myself in your head, much the same way you cannot for those who did not choose Recaro. It's presumptuous and arrogant.

Stillborn
05-11-12, 12:11 AM
more like spot on, as the truth always hurts, and the biggest lies are the ones we tell ourselves. they don't even have a name for your seat, other than the fact they are known affectionately as "park bench seats"...or "the seats that nobody wanted". 70k price tag, and $3,400 is a deal breaker? you got a base modle cts with a motor upgrade. lol i'll sleep fine tonight, how about you?

( way back when i had a 1990 5.0 mustang saleen, and it had recaros. this is when i understood about how just a set of seats makes the ENTIRE difference )

Moparman4444
05-11-12, 12:29 AM
I have read every single post in this thread and everyone is either making excuses for their seat or complaining about them. I think Cadillac should read each comment and realize that the two seats they offer are not the best for this superior set of wheels and they should redesign the seats without any compromises. I have been n many Audi, BMW and they don't have discussions like this because their seats are designed with support and comfort.

concorso
05-11-12, 12:52 AM
you got a base modle cts with a motor upgrade. lol... I love how you soo easily trivialize all the work put into the V, just to try to prove your opinion is correct.

Stillborn
05-11-12, 01:01 AM
lol... I love how you soo easily trivialize all the work put into the V, just to try to prove your opinion is correct.

for the sake of not having to explain a joke, try to use the right side of your coconut (visualization/imagination) before you p*ss on ones work. =]

Kadonny
05-11-12, 10:36 AM

I don't normally do this, but wow you're being an *******. I've been posting on these boards since 2006 and I've never seen anyone be as arrogant and *******-ish as you. To you, your opinion is fact and your'e actually ignorant enough to believe it.

Cadillac made them an option for a reason, but I can see that you'll never be able to grasp why.

Enjoy your day.

Stillborn
05-11-12, 02:53 PM
I don't normally do this, but wow you're being an *******. I've been posting on these boards since 2006 and I've never seen anyone be as arrogant and *******-ish as you. To you, your opinion is fact and your'e actually ignorant enough to believe it.

Cadillac made them an option for a reason, but I can see that you'll never be able to grasp why.

Enjoy your day.

your butt hurt because deep down inside it strikes a cord, a cord of truth. hell, idk why your even adding you .01,.. do to the fact you're v-less.

hulksdaddy
05-11-12, 03:41 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/porko1/lozGr_GIF_Collection_of_someone_eating_popcorn-s360x240-181194.gif

JFJr
05-11-12, 04:00 PM
your butt hurt because deep down inside it strikes a cord, a cord of truth. hell, idk why your even adding you .01,.. do to the fact you're v-less.Relax, young man. Why are you trying to alienate a large group of forum members? You come across angry and/or frustrated. As one of the other members has said, we use our cars for different purposes, so that accounts for configuration preferences. Generally speaking, this is a knowledgeable group, that respects others' opinions and tries to help those with questions or problems in enjoying these magnificent cars.

Jud

Vwagon2012
05-11-12, 04:50 PM
Jud. You are so correct. People like what they like. But to some their way is the only way. I bought a wagon because I need a wagon. Plus it looks badass. I drive my car everyday. Average speed 26 mph. Average mpg 15.6. I don't need Recaro's at those blistering speeds. I have nothing against Recaro's. Just not for me. We still live in America. Freedom of Choice. We all love our cars. Don't knock someone because they don't like what you like.

Kadonny
05-11-12, 05:41 PM
hell, idk why your even adding you .01,.. do to the fact you're v-less.

Why? Because I love this forum and most users here are good people. Why else? Because I've owned probably 3 times the amount of V cars you have and that entitles me to 3 times the amount of opinions that you have. Lastly? I'll probably own another V car at some point.

Jud. You are so correct. People like what they like. But to some their way is the only way. I bought a wagon because I need a wagon. Plus it looks badass. I drive my car everyday. Average speed 26 mph. Average mpg 15.6. I don't need Recaro's at those blistering speeds. I have nothing against Recaro's. Just not for me. We still live in America. Freedom of Choice. We all love our cars. Don't knock someone because they don't like what you like.

How dare you! How dare you buy a version of the car that is practical and not 100% performance oriented. How dare you buy a car with seats that belong on a bicycle. How dare you use your car for anything other than racing around the streets or track strapped into Recaro racing seats throwing caution into the wind. How dare you enjoy your car!!! You sir, are a disgrace.

[/massive joke]

Enjoy your wagon, hell of a car to tool around in with kids in the back seat and your bags from Home Depot in the back. Congrats.

quikag
05-11-12, 06:19 PM
Back on topic. I like my Recaros, if for no other reason than the cooled seat option here in TX. I'm 6'2" 225lbs and fit fine.

Stillborn
05-11-12, 09:38 PM
Why? Because I love this forum and most users here are good people. Why else? Because I've owned probably 3 times the amount of V cars you have and that entitles me to 3 times the amount of opinions that you have. Lastly? I'll probably own another V car at some point.

How dare you! How dare you buy a version of the car that is practical and not 100% performance oriented. How dare you buy a car with seats that belong on a bicycle. How dare you use your car for anything other than racing around the streets or track strapped into Recaro racing seats throwing caution into the wind. How dare you enjoy your car!!! You sir, are a disgrace.

[/massive joke]

Enjoy your wagon, hell of a car to tool around in with kids in the back seat and your bags from Home Depot in the back. Congrats.

your reality is more skewed than i suspected. neither one of those remarks (in bold) make any effin sense what-so-ever in reasons for buying this car. the 6 cyl would have been a better buy. retard. base model seats and base model usage is all you are utilizing. the bragging rights are left to those that bought this car with every intention of driving it to it's limits.(street or track) if not, really, whats the point? so your friends and neighbors have a reason to acknowledge you? no need to respond, it's as clear as day.
as far as your 3 v remark. i've had 2 (1st gen and this) and a base model 03 cts. so 3 cts's for me. i'll be humble about the rest of my past vehicles. your in a fight you'll never win, so please, for the sake of this thread, bow out gracefully.

Vwagon2012
05-12-12, 01:22 AM
Why do you want to fight? People here love their cars. Why call people retards for their choices because they are not your own. You my friend have a skewed outlook. Hence the name "Dead Baby". Be happy driving your car to the limit. Let us be happy with ours. Your damn right I brag about my car. I paid for it not you. I'll drive it however I want. In the left lane with the blinker on. Hell, maybe when I get to old i"ll drive it through the front of a store. It's mine not yours.

thebigjimsho
05-12-12, 12:55 PM
So because your's don't rock, nobody's do? Face it, some rock and it's a drawback.

Absurd argument on resale. There *may* be one or more than one person/s out there, chances are you won't find him. I'll guarantee you that there is not a person out there willing to pay you what you paid the dealer for the seats. And until someone can show me that they are getting x% of their money back, I'll be firmly in the camp that you won't recoup the cost. My opinion is based upon my experience too, not some fictional person that *may* exist.

Well, I flew to TX to get my '09. It was the closest of 4 Vs available spec'd to my choosing. Had to have a manual, had to have a moonroof, had to be black, had to have Recaros. Period.

----------

I can tell you first hand it is much harder to sell without recaro's. Every single person who was interested in my 2011 I was trying to sell without recaro's was turned off that I didnt have them..... Its a silly debate as the other guy stated. It only takes one person as is the guy who bought mine without. As far as trade in, forget about it. Dealers hate these cars and dont want to give any money regardless of options. I have a ton of close contacts and no one wanted it. It had 2K miles on it and everyone offered below wholesale in the mid 40"s LOL... I was forced to sell private party. Just a personal experience. I find it hard to believe people are arguing over a $3K option on a $70K car. Bottom line is you either like them or dont. Drive both and make the choice. Ive had both and prefer the Recaro's as I use the car as it was intended. The cooloing system is absolutely awesome as well:)

Excellent post!

----------

I have read every single post in this thread and everyone is either making excuses for their seat or complaining about them. I think Cadillac should read each comment and realize that the two seats they offer are not the best for this superior set of wheels and they should redesign the seats without any compromises. I have been n many Audi, BMW and they don't have discussions like this because their seats are designed with support and comfort.

Every single post? Really? That's a lie. My Recaros are perfect for my V. Period.

Kadonny
05-14-12, 10:06 AM
your reality is more skewed than i suspected. neither one of those remarks (in bold) make any effin sense what-so-ever in reasons for buying this car. the 6 cyl would have been a better buy. retard. base model seats and base model usage is all you are utilizing. the bragging rights are left to those that bought this car with every intention of driving it to it's limits.(street or track) if not, really, whats the point? so your friends and neighbors have a reason to acknowledge you? no need to respond, it's as clear as day.
as far as your 3 v remark. i've had 2 (1st gen and this) and a base model 03 cts. so 3 cts's for me. i'll be humble about the rest of my past vehicles. your in a fight you'll never win, so please, for the sake of this thread, bow out gracefully.

My reality is skewed? Let's analyze your post.

1. No capitals, no regard for punctuation, no sentence structure. I see you are not very good in expressing yourself in an intelligent way.
2. You can't debate a point without having to call someone a retard. See point 1.
3. If my remarks make no sense, then why did Cadillac even build the V wagon? Why did then even build the sedan? You don't need four doors in a 100% performance car. Why not just build a 2 door 2 seat car? Face it, you can't grasp why people buy these cars, but luckily Cadillac can.
4. Good thing you "won" a fight that was not even a fight (it was a debate), but you can't even understand that.

Enjoy your Cadillac and drive it the way you want. Maybe someday you'll understand others buy these cars and drive them the way they want too. It's called personal preference.

PS: You will garner more respect in the future if you can debate a point intelligently rather than stooping to calling people retards, but maybe you can't do that.

Stillborn
05-14-12, 03:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWXgGDLRzm4