Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Weird, intermittent starting condition...

3K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  D3l7a3ch0 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Recently I've been experiencing an issue when starting my 2004 V. About 2-3 times in the last month. when I turn the key, it won't crank. Lights, guages, etc are all normal. It's almost like I'm trying to start the car without pressing the clutch. Then after about 5 tries, it starts right up as if nothing is wrong. This issue just started happening again about 2 months ago. The first time it actually happened was about a year or two ago. Then it was fine until the beginning of March when it started happening again.

Discuss! :)

Thanks!
Jesse

#2 ·
there is a switch on your clutch master cylinder rod that knows if the clutch is in or not. Check that after doing the clutch in mime i had to put a zip tie in front of the switch to fool it to make it think it was farther back. Not sure if the wear out or break but i would check that first.

#3 ·
Interesting. I will check, thanks!

#6 ·
Yikes. I'll have my mechanic look at that. I'd hate to be stranded on my road trip later this week.

#9 ·
Yup. Starter. Mine did the same thing. But an ls1 starter and clip the connector on the starter wire that plugs into it and put a ring terminal connector on it to make it work on the new starter. Will be cheaper this way and will save you from another burned connector as that is probably a problem as well. Buy a heat blanket n wrap the starter too so you don't fry the new one as well

#10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I am at the shop now getting it changed.

Automobile repair shop Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto mechanic

#18 ·
I was looking around under the car amd found the issue. There is a small wire on the front facing top of the starter in the solenoid. Not sure what its for but it was broken out of the plastic housing/plug that it needs to keep it secure. So i pluged it back in and hot glued it for the time being. Is it possible to get just the solenoid, or does it come with the starter

#19 ·
exact same problem on mine.

there are starter and alternator rebuild shops, I know this from my brief employment with united rentals as a field mechanic. we brought all our starters and alternators there.

if you were in the los angeles area I could give you the one we used......

#20 ·
Mine wouldn't turn over a few months ago, so I diagnosed it the old school way. I wacked the starter with a hammer. Worked fine for a few months and did it again... Just had the starter replaced. 76,000 miles and 7 + years isn't to bad.

#22 ·
My 7 year old car broke down, that happens.

If you want frustration lets talk about my GM ZZ383 crate motor.

#33 ·
Broken motor mount in your past?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.