: Weird, intermittent starting condition...

jnrandall
04-30-12, 02:03 PM
Hi All,

Recently I've been experiencing an issue when starting my 2004 V. About 2-3 times in the last month. when I turn the key, it won't crank. Lights, guages, etc are all normal. It's almost like I'm trying to start the car without pressing the clutch. Then after about 5 tries, it starts right up as if nothing is wrong. This issue just started happening again about 2 months ago. The first time it actually happened was about a year or two ago. Then it was fine until the beginning of March when it started happening again.

Discuss! :)

Thanks!
Jesse

howanicm
04-30-12, 03:50 PM
there is a switch on your clutch master cylinder rod that knows if the clutch is in or not. Check that after doing the clutch in mime i had to put a zip tie in front of the switch to fool it to make it think it was farther back. Not sure if the wear out or break but i would check that first.

jnrandall
04-30-12, 04:00 PM
Interesting. I will check, thanks!

howanicm
04-30-12, 05:37 PM
I was thinking about simply cutting the switch and grounding it to completely eliminate it. Only issue is it will crank over in gear which could get dangerous

jebfrank
04-30-12, 09:46 PM
Hi All,

Recently I've been experiencing an issue when starting my 2004 V. About 2-3 times in the last month. when I turn the key, it won't crank. Lights, guages, etc are all normal. It's almost like I'm trying to start the car without pressing the clutch. Then after about 5 tries, it starts right up as if nothing is wrong. This issue just started happening again about 2 months ago. The first time it actually happened was about a year or two ago. Then it was fine until the beginning of March when it started happening again.

Discuss! :)

Thanks!
Jesse

I had the exact same problem with my 05. Your starter is failing, the no starts your warning! It will leave you stranded. Mine finally died in my garage after about three months of hit and miss.

jnrandall
04-30-12, 10:30 PM
Yikes. I'll have my mechanic look at that. I'd hate to be stranded on my road trip later this week.

Juggernaut850
04-30-12, 11:45 PM
Yikes. I'll have my mechanic look at that. I'd hate to be stranded on my road trip later this week.

Definitely your starter same thing happened to me a few months ago.

howanicm
04-30-12, 11:50 PM
Dam that sucks this means my starter is on its way out as well lol

TheLostDriver
05-01-12, 03:15 PM
Yup. Starter. Mine did the same thing. But an ls1 starter and clip the connector on the starter wire that plugs into it and put a ring terminal connector on it to make it work on the new starter. Will be cheaper this way and will save you from another burned connector as that is probably a problem as well. Buy a heat blanket n wrap the starter too so you don't fry the new one as well

jnrandall
05-01-12, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I am at the shop now getting it changed.

jebfrank
05-01-12, 08:35 PM
Dam that sucks this means my starter is on its way out as well lol

Yep, atleast it gives a warning :yup:!

howanicm
05-02-12, 07:48 AM
Kind of ironic. I just finished my header install and if theres any time.you want to hear your car fire up, its after a header install...but nope. I guess my starter has failed. Lmao

howanicm
05-02-12, 07:49 AM
Btw how much is a new starter?

D3l7a3ch0
05-02-12, 12:52 PM
my starter solenoid is melted/chipped, and I have this same problem.

darkman
05-02-12, 07:14 PM
Starter = GM PN 89017491, $342.82 MSRP. Available on net for less.

howanicm
05-02-12, 07:21 PM
Do the ls1 starters work with our car? Thought i saw on maybe ls1 tech that they will.

TheLostDriver
05-03-12, 12:57 PM
my starter solenoid is melted/chipped, and I have this same problem.
Cuz of the dumb design of how close it is to the headers

howanicm
05-03-12, 04:51 PM
I was looking around under the car amd found the issue. There is a small wire on the front facing top of the starter in the solenoid. Not sure what its for but it was broken out of the plastic housing/plug that it needs to keep it secure. So i pluged it back in and hot glued it for the time being. Is it possible to get just the solenoid, or does it come with the starter

D3l7a3ch0
05-03-12, 09:20 PM
exact same problem on mine.

there are starter and alternator rebuild shops, I know this from my brief employment with united rentals as a field mechanic. we brought all our starters and alternators there.

if you were in the los angeles area I could give you the one we used......

Koooop
05-04-12, 02:53 AM
Mine wouldn't turn over a few months ago, so I diagnosed it the old school way. I wacked the starter with a hammer. Worked fine for a few months and did it again... Just had the starter replaced. 76,000 miles and 7 + years isn't to bad.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-04-12, 11:53 AM
I'm catching up on this thread and am so sorry to hear about these frustrations. Thank you, everyone, for posting your updates and attempted fix information for the benefit of the community.

D3l7a3ch0, are you planning to take your CTS-V in for service?

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Koooop
05-05-12, 01:54 AM
My 7 year old car broke down, that happens.

If you want frustration lets talk about my GM ZZ383 crate motor.

D3l7a3ch0
05-05-12, 04:42 AM
I'm catching up on this thread and am so sorry to hear about these frustrations. Thank you, everyone, for posting your updates and attempted fix information for the benefit of the community.

D3l7a3ch0, are you planning to take your CTS-V in for service?

Best,

Katie

no, Katie, I am not... I haven't run into anything that I can't handle myself. I'm happy with the dependability of my V at nearly 90k miles.

howanicm
05-05-12, 05:49 AM
exact same problem on mine.

there are starter and alternator rebuild shops, I know this from my brief employment with united rentals as a field mechanic. we brought all our starters and alternators there.

if you were in the los angeles area I could give you the one we used......

Did you just glue the wire back into place or did you get it fixed?

D3l7a3ch0
05-05-12, 11:56 AM
I ignore it and have intermittent starting problems. Heh

TheLostDriver
05-05-12, 01:21 PM
I ignore it and have intermittent starting problems. Heh
I did the same thing. It will eventually just not work

D3l7a3ch0
05-05-12, 01:59 PM
I did the same thing. It will eventually just not work

I will be surprised if I pull it and bring it to the rebuild shop before that happens

howanicm
05-05-12, 02:36 PM
I wonder what causes that piece to chip and break.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-07-12, 09:26 AM
no, Katie, I am not... I haven't run into anything that I can't handle myself. I'm happy with the dependability of my V at nearly 90k miles.
Thank you for letting me know, D3l7a3ch0! I can appreciate that and hope all goes well for you!

Best,

Katie

TheLostDriver
05-07-12, 01:33 PM
I wonder what causes that piece to chip and break.
The placement of the connectors seeing they set plastic next to the hot exhaust manifold. They should've made a shield or at least put some heat wrap on it or even designed it to another location

Koooop
05-07-12, 04:51 PM

Yeah that! I'm at 76,000 miles and this has been a great, dependable, fun car to own. I'm sorry to let it go.

Slithering_Joe
05-07-12, 10:23 PM
This will kill a starter too:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z130/Slithering_Joe/My%202005%20CTS-V/IMG_0063.jpg

Cracked cat-flange. My car has BBQ'ed two starters.

Koooop
05-08-12, 01:31 AM
Broken motor mount in your past?

D3l7a3ch0
05-08-12, 06:51 AM
Broken motor mount in your past?

blown out hydro bushings? never