: Crank position sensors

Fastone
11-24-04, 12:27 PM
The car is a 2000 ETC, it usually ranks longer before starting and the service engine soon light remains on. The engine stalls at idle once a week and has a single miss at highway speeds every other day. A computer scan resulted in crank position sensor failure codes; are these sensors failure prone or could the problem be a loose wire somewhere? If anyone replaced a crank position sensor did it cause the hard start problem?

mcowden
11-24-04, 02:50 PM
Crank sensors do fail. It happens on lots of different cars, and I've not heard any evidence that the sensors used on our cars are more or less prone to failures. Failure of your crank sensor(s) could cause the problems you're describing, so, assuming the codes for the sensors are the only codes in there, I would replace them and the problem should go away. If there are other codes in the PCM memory, write them down and look them up at the web site below, then post here to get other opinions:

http://www.obdii.com/codes.html

Good luck!

El Dobro
11-24-04, 04:40 PM
I believe 2000 was the year they had a lot of issues with the crank sensors. If you do a search, you'll see the threads regarding the sensors.

Fastone
11-30-04, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the replys. I changed both sensors and now the car starts like it should; the check engine light went out after four starts. The engine oil sensor needed to be removed first then both oil cooler lines disconnected at the oil filter. Using a few socket extensions the sensor 10mm screws could be removed. A trip to Pep Boys as usual was a waste of time since they had no listing of these sensors however if I ever need a small scooter or neon lights they can help. A store called NU-Way sold me the AC Delco parts for about $85.

BeelzeBob
11-30-04, 04:25 PM
Yep....yours is a typical case.

The crank sensors for the 2000 and later Northstars are a new design and new technology and there were some random quality problems with the supplier of the sensors...particularily in the 2000 model year. The sensors have been superceded several times by now and are actually made by a different source that has much better quality control.

BeelzeBob
11-30-04, 04:30 PM
Crank sensors do fail. It happens on lots of different cars, and I've not heard any evidence that the sensors used on our cars are more or less prone to failures. Failure of your crank sensor(s) could cause the problems you're describing, so, assuming the codes for the sensors are the only codes in there, I would replace them and the problem should go away. If there are other codes in the PCM memory, write them down and look them up at the web site below, then post here to get other opinions:

Good luck!s

The 93-99 Northstar crank sensors are basically bulletproof. Occasionally one will fail but certainly no epidemic.

There were problems as noted with quality control on the new-for-2000 crank sensors, however, and it is not uncommon at all for 2000, 2001 and even some occasional 2002 Northstars to have crank sensor problems causing erratic idling, hard starts, stalling, surging at idle, etc.... Replacement is the cure with the superceded parts in service now.

The 2000 and later Northstar sensors actually house the electronics of the sensor in the sensor body itself. This allows the elimination of the ignition module that was on the 93/99 engines and lets the PCM "read" the crank sensors directly. Unfortunately, this added complexity in the sensors lead to the aforementioned quality issues. Some 2000 sensors could even fail in a way as to cause misfiring, lack of start, etc. WITHOUT setting a crank sensor trouble code. This was corrected with the onboard diagnostic logic so as to enable the backup logic of single-sensor operation if one failed. This logic change was incorporated in later model running change 2000 models and 2001 cars.

Lord Cadillac
07-28-05, 02:43 PM
Yes, yours is a typical case.

I've read that the crank sensors for the 2000 and later Northstars are a new design and new technology and there were some random quality problems with the supplier of the sensors - particularily in the 2000 model year. The sensors have been superceded several times by now and are actually made by a different source that has much better quality control.

Lord Cadillac
07-28-05, 02:44 PM
The 93-99 Northstar crank sensors are basically bulletproof. Occasionally one will fail but certainly no epidemic.

There were problems as noted with quality control on the new-for-2000 crank sensors, however, and it is not uncommon at all for 2000, 2001 and even some occasional 2002 Northstars to have crank sensor problems causing erratic idling, hard starts, stalling, surging at idle, etc.... Replacement is the cure with the superceded parts in service now.

As far as I know, the 2000 and later Northstar sensors actually house the electronics of the sensor in the sensor body itself. This allows the elimination of the ignition module that was on the 93/99 engines and lets the PCM "read" the crank sensors directly. Unfortunately, this added complexity in the sensors lead to the aforementioned quality issues. Some 2000 sensors could even fail in a way as to cause misfiring, lack of start, etc. WITHOUT setting a crank sensor trouble code. This was corrected with the onboard diagnostic logic so as to enable the backup logic of single-sensor operation if one failed. This logic change was incorporated in later model running change 2000 models and 2001 cars.

Good luck!

calponte
07-29-05, 05:13 PM
I'm having a problem as well with my 99' Eldorado.. it will start fine sometimes ..then others will take 5-7secs.. there is no check engine light and other than that she runs fine..
Do you think this is my problem as well.. or is there something I should check first?

Thanks for any help

mcowden
07-29-05, 05:27 PM
Calponte, your issue may be a leaking fuel pressure regulator. Search the forums on that and you'll find how to easily check it. It's a $25-$50 part if it needs to be replaced, and you can do it yourself with probably no tools at all. Let us know what you find out.