: Do you have to turn on CAGS and Hill-hold?

M5eater
04-30-12, 11:23 AM
I have noticed, that I've not once had the CAGS light come on, and that's even with what I would consider some grandma driving..

But I also noticed, that The 'hill hold' feature isn't working, but I'm not sure how that's supposted to work?

Then I scanned the cluster for the impression for the 1-4 light and I couldn't find it frankly.

I can't say I'm upset about the lack of CAGS, but the hill hold had me slightly excited around this area.

Did I miss the thread where these two features were deleted?

Moneypenny
04-30-12, 11:27 AM
As far as I know for hill-hold, you have to engage the parking brake. Then, simply accellerate away, and the parking brake will disengage on its own as you apply throttle and release clutch. At least, that's how it's worked for me. :)

M5eater
04-30-12, 11:28 AM
As far as I know for hill-hold, you have to engage the parking brake. Then, simply accellerate away, and the parking brake will disengage on its own as you apply throttle and release clutch. At least, that's how it's worked for me. :)

The hill hold is supposed to keep you from rolling back when you're driving around in traffic. Or at least, that's how I understood it, since the auto's parking brake had a similar feature to what you're describing.

cvs
04-30-12, 11:36 AM
No CAGS here either. The car goes from 1st to whatever gear I want even with "grandma driving."

"Hill hold" for the electronic parking break works fine on my car. Set the brake, accelerate up the hill, and the brake gets released automatically.

JFJr
04-30-12, 11:36 AM
As far as I know for hill-hold, you have to engage the parking brake. Then, simply accellerate away, and the parking brake will disengage on its own as you apply throttle and release clutch. At least, that's how it's worked for me. :)You have to pull up on the parking brake button like a normal hand brake. You'll see the engagement indicated in the DIC. Like he said, just drive away forward or reverse; you will feel a little resistance until the brake releases. It's a great feature and works well. As far as the CAGS is concerned, the car needs to get used to your driving style, then you may feel it engage on occasion. As others have said, it's not nearly as intrusive as in the previous V generation.

Jud

garfin
04-30-12, 11:40 AM
Technically, I don't believe it's specified as a "hill-holder". It's a parking brake that automatically releases when you step on the gas and engage the clutch. That being the case, it can be used as sort of a "hill-holder" by pulling up on the brake switch to apply the brake which will keep the car from rolling back (or forward).
FWIW, the 2013 Camaro will have a bona fide "hill start assist" incorporated with all manual transmission cars. http://thelsxdr.com/gm-confirms-changes-to-2013-camaro/
I don't know if manual transmission Caddys will get this as well for MY 2013.

Best regards,

Elie

M5eater
04-30-12, 11:44 AM
I see, thanks for the clarification on the hill hold.

V Wagon
04-30-12, 02:59 PM
It should have CAGS but the CAGS on the Vs is the hardest to get of any GM with CAGS. The speed window is very small. If you are really putzing around like a grandma, you are probably shifting out of first at too low of a speed for CAGS to intervene. If you want to check to see if it is there, once the car is warmed up try a light throttle shift at 17 MPH. You should find it then.

thebigjimsho
04-30-12, 04:49 PM
I've seen CAGS activate twice. And when it does, you're driving sooo leisurely, 4th is actually the perfect choice.

As for the hill-holder, it's actually referred to that in the manual. It was designed as such. Pull up on the e-brake tab when you are stopped and on the brake. It will release upon touching the gas pedal. If you have the e-brake on in general, you don't need to manually release it. Release clutch, depress gas and go...

Mike02z
04-30-12, 05:35 PM
I can get the CAGS to kick in but I really have to try. I had CAGS on my 08 Corvette (tuned out) and on my 2002 Z28 (Used a CAGS bypass adapter). CAGS was very noticeable in the Z28 and less so in the Corvette. It is barely noticbale in the V so I didn't bother with the CAGS bypass.

Never realized there was a pseudo "hill hold" feature. Will have to try that next time I'm up the mountains.

JFJr
04-30-12, 06:40 PM
Never realized there was a pseudo "hill hold" feature. Will have to try that next time I'm up the mountains.It's an ordinary parking brake that you would use as traditional hand brake, to hold you on hills, etc.

Jud

Chrispy
04-30-12, 07:24 PM
I disabled hill holder on my STI as it was terrible....glad to hear CAGS isn't bad on the V.

Trapspeed
05-01-12, 11:14 AM
CAGS= "Can't Always Get Second". Biggest pain in the ass ever created. I'm happy it's barely there in a V because in my Camaro SS it was like a large gnat that only went away with an eliminator.

Xaqtly
05-01-12, 11:40 AM
I disabled hill holder on my STI as it was terrible....glad to hear CAGS isn't bad on the V.

Works differently in the STi though. You just let go of the brake pedal and it holds the car in place for a couple seconds so you have time to engage the clutch. In the V you actually have to pull up the brake button which is less convenient. But then it does hold the car the whole time rather than just a couple seconds, which is nice.

So far I've only had CAGS come on once, and since the mph window is so small I just waited a second, then was able to put it in 2nd gear. It hasn't bothered me at all.

thebigjimsho
05-01-12, 11:58 AM
CAGS= "Can't Always Get Second". Biggest pain in the ass ever created. I'm happy it's barely there in a V because in my Camaro SS it was like a large gnat that only went away with an eliminator.It was awful and a must-get-rid-of item on all V1s...

jft69z
05-01-12, 05:37 PM
You just let go of the brake pedal and it holds the car in place for a couple seconds .

Newer Buick LaCrosse has this feature, even with the auto transmission. It does work...