: Need new set of tires-- what are you running and what can you recommend?

HAMSTAR
04-29-12, 10:53 AM
Gentlemen,

I bought a '06 V about three weeks ago. It came with bunch of mismatched summer tires on it-- three of them without rain grooves at all and one run-flat with rain grooves. Where I live in Maryland, it rains occasionally throughout the year (and A LOT in the springtime). It has been downright DANGEROUS driving this thing in anything other than completely dry weather. I had always intended to get winter tires for the cold months, but didn't expect the summer tires to be so atrocious in light rain, or even simply damp conditions. If it's not completely dry outside, I have to drive like a granny to stay alive.

So I'm in the market for some tires that will handle rain, keeping in mind that I do intend to put a different set of winter tires on the car in the wintertime. However, if you can recommend a set of exception all-season tires that will handle a little light snow/ice, then that's cool too.

So, what are you running? Do you like them in the rain? How are they in the dry? What can you recommend?

Thanks!

HAMSTAR

odthetruth
04-29-12, 11:50 AM
DWS. I had some Conti DWS on my old CTS, and although the power is different, the platform isn't, and it handled so much better then any other tire I have had to date in the rain. I currently have Pirelli P Zero Neros on my V, and I'll still say the DWS tires handed perfect in the rain, and even handled decent in the snow for A\S tires. Their tread-life is another big plus.

CTSV_510
04-29-12, 12:14 PM
I have Nitto NT-555 tires and I love them. I have stock 245/45 in front and 275/40 in the rear, and they really hook very well compared to the other tires I've had on my car. Rain is not a problem whatsoever in my experience, but ice and snow you can't drive on them (I haven't actually tried but I imagine). I previously has BFG KDs and Toyo Proxes4s and the NT-555s are by far better in pretty much every way, and not very expensive either. The handling is great, though I would recommend sticking with stock size all around, the 275's are really too wide for the stock rim, but that is not a reflection of the tire itself.

I have a set of spare rims with Blizzak snow tires with good tread left on them for sale if you're interested in a second set of wheels for your winters. I'm only two hours up I-95 from you...

1madstsv
04-29-12, 12:31 PM
Bfg kdw2 you can drive fast and still they work great even in the rain. I'm at 470rwhp and they work very well in every thing but snow. I've had it in snow but not recommended. I'm in Baltimore all the time if you want I can meet up an take you for a ride in the rain. I also like the nitto invo in the rain on my c5. See video of the v in cold weather in the rain at 100+mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyQ-DIAMhC4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

repenttokyo
04-29-12, 12:48 PM
I run four Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's on my car and they do a good job in the rain, stock tire size and affordable.

DDS rollin a CTS
04-29-12, 01:00 PM
My V came with Hankook Ventus V12's when I bought it last year. Decent tire, definitely one of the cheaper options, did fine in the dry or wet, if you want bang for your buck you probably couldn't do much better. That said, I now have Bridgestone RE-11's. I race autocross so I wanted about the stickiest tire I could find. I can tell these are going to wear out more quickly than many others and while they do fine in rain, but I wouldn't go anywhere near snow/ice with them.

Tackelbarry
04-29-12, 04:22 PM
I had the Continental DWS and now a set of Continental DW. The DW is a much stickier tire than the DWS and I will buy more DW when these wear out.

rand49er
04-29-12, 05:47 PM
Michelin Pilot Super Sports here. Nice tires and pricey, too. I don't go out in rain, though.

jebfrank
04-29-12, 09:21 PM
I 2nd the Super Sports, pricey but stick great and offer a 30k mileage warranty providing you run the same size on all 4 corners.

HAMSTAR
04-30-12, 07:04 AM
Thanks for all the great recommendations so far! You guys are awesome.

So far, I see a lot of summer tires and only one all-season-- Conti DWS. I have a friend who runs Dunlop SP Sports on his WRX an swears by them-- has anybody here had experience with those?

----------

MadSTSV, I love the look of the BFG KDW2 best compared to all the other tires. All things being equal, this may tip me, lol. And that video you posted certainly make a damn good case. I would live to meet up with you and other Baltimore area V owners.

Unrelated, but can someone please explain to me how to use the PM function. Do I not have permission or something because my account is too young?

Bfg kdw2 you can drive fast and still they work great even in the rain. I'm at 470rwhp and they work very well in every thing but snow. I've had it in snow but not recommended. I'm in Baltimore all the time if you want I can meet up an take you for a ride in the rain. I also like the nitto invo in the rain on my c5. See video of the v in cold weather in the rain at 100+mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyQ-DIAMhC4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

CTSV_510
04-30-12, 07:51 AM
Unrelated, but can someone please explain to me how to use the PM function. Do I not have permission or something because my account is too young?

I think you need 10 posts before you can PM...but it looks like you have that now.

mstrjon32
04-30-12, 09:31 AM
I have the Bridgestone Pole Position RE960AS, and I've been very happy with them. Very quiet, good grip, and sticky in the dry and the wet. Drove from the Swiss border back to Mainz, and did 110+ mph in the rain for most of the ride and had no problems feeling planted on the road. The same tires got me and three friends around the Nordschleife in 9:04.

darkman
04-30-12, 11:23 AM
This thread ain't over until Big Jim opines.

50 4Ever
04-30-12, 12:52 PM
When I bought my 07 with 6,000 miles it had a new set of Goodyear Eagle RS-A. I have put 23,000 miles on them and they aren't even down to the wear bars yet.

:thumbsup:

rand49er
04-30-12, 02:44 PM
This thread ain't over until Big Jim opines.Tbjs will back me up. Huh, Jim?

tony tone
04-30-12, 02:52 PM
Nitto Invos... i had a set last me almost 3 years and my car is 2.75 inches from the ground. :)

http://www.gscreationsllc.com/images/invo01cz1.jpg

it's also aligned by the best man in miami.

thebigjimsho
04-30-12, 05:32 PM
Plaid tires, lol.

----------

This thread ain't over until Big Jim opines.

Tbjs will back me up. Huh, Jim?I will say my V1 never felt as pure a driver's car as when it was shod with PS2s. I waited a couple years for the proper sizes to arrive and they were better than I imagined.

The PSS is supposed to be better in every way, for less $$$.

On the '09 I replaced my PS2s with Hankook Evos as a stopgap. Hopefully the PSS will come out in the proper sizes soon...

HAMSTAR
04-30-12, 05:32 PM
Plaid tires, lol.

10/10 worth the wait ;)

JDB
04-30-12, 07:20 PM
Whatever tire has a sexy tread pattern ...that's all that matters, right? Oh wait, Im not in the Appearance forum.

What I have run for summers and occasional track:

Accessory wheels...
Goodyear F1 GS D3
Michelin PS2
Dunlop Star Spec
Falken Azenis Sports RT615k

Stock wheels...
Nitto NT01 (Rcomps for track)

curbed Accessory wheels...
Blizzak LM22 (winters)

All season tires do everything ...poorly. You bought a 400 hp / 395 tq car...buy some good summer rubber.

HAMSTAR
04-30-12, 08:11 PM
^ you are quite obviously right. I am just getting spooked by the prospect of havin to buy a new ser of rims and winter tires for the winters here, which are unpredictable. We can get almost no snow or a constant couple feet for 2-3 months.

But I need to keep my family safe and summer tires are the safer choice in the rain. Let me ask then, are you Guys aware of any cheaper options for winter tires?

ctsvjeff
05-01-12, 01:19 AM
Nitto NT-01 245/40-18 great dry not so good in rain:(

mstrjon32
05-01-12, 01:54 AM
^ you are quite obviously right. I am just getting spooked by the prospect of havin to buy a new ser of rims and winter tires for the winters here, which are unpredictable. We can get almost no snow or a constant couple feet for 2-3 months.

In my experience, all season tires on this car are useless in the snow. When I was in the US, I avoided the problem by driving my Jeep if it was snowy, but if you're going to drive the V in the snow, you definitely want snow tires.

JDB
05-01-12, 09:00 PM

But I need to keep my family safe and summer tires are the safer choice in the rain. Let me ask then, are you Guys aware of any cheaper options for winter tires?

CTSV_510 said in this thread that he has a spare set of wheels with Blizzaks....that's your best way to get through winters and still have year round grip in the other 3 seasons with good summer rubber on your current wheels.

Gotta pay to play.

Otherwise, buy an appliance Honda Accord with A/S tires.

HAMSTAR
05-01-12, 10:03 PM
CTSV_510 said in this thread that he has a spare set of wheels with Blizzaks....that's your best way to get through winters and still have year round grip in the other 3 seasons with good summer rubber on your current wheels.

Gotta pay to play.

Otherwise, buy an appliance Honda Accord with A/S tires.

I came to the V by way of a two month affair with a TSX. I was so underwhelmed that I went for the V to shake that flaccid excuse for a car put of my system. Don't need to remind me twice what I drive. Summer tires it is, boys.

I do plan to buy winters, just not yet as I am spending money hand over fist to fix the diff clunk and other issues. Maybe jna few months. I'll messge CTSV_510 soon as I figure out how to PM l.

JimmyH
05-01-12, 10:29 PM
If You are in a metro area where they plow quickly, skip the snow tires and get all season for the winter. Unless you spend a great deal of time on actual snow, snow tires just aren't worth it.

12race
05-01-12, 10:36 PM
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2

I am on second set of these on my 06. I have been to track days in pouring rain and nice crisp dry days. The tire is awesome especially in the rain on Road ATL hitting 140 on back straight. No fear:cool2:

CTSV_510
05-01-12, 11:07 PM
I do plan to buy winters, just not yet as I am spending money hand over fist to fix the diff clunk and other issues. Maybe jna few months. I'll messge CTSV_510 soon as I figure out how to PM l.

Someone down by your area messaged me today about them but I haven't heard back yet. I was asking $1200 originally, but I will let them go to the first person that shows up with $1000. I'm in no rush to get rid of them but at the same time I have no need for them anymore so I don't want them sitting here for forever if someone can actually use them.

You can PM someone by clicking on their user name on one of their posts.

tony tone
05-02-12, 10:18 AM
Whatever tire has a sexy tread pattern ...that's all that matters, right? Oh wait, Im not in the Appearance forum.

seriously? tires lasted me over 3 years and you think i bought them solely for tread pattern? google just about any car with forged 3pc. wheels and 8 out of 10 are wrapped in Nitto Invos.

thebigjimsho
05-02-12, 11:51 AM
Gotta go cheap. Not much money left over from the donks.

HAMSTAR
05-02-12, 01:44 PM
Gotta go cheap. Not much money left over from the donks.

Just found another donk. I think I will just ride on rims for a few months. Do you guys know which naked rims offer the best traction?

HAMSTAR
05-02-12, 02:51 PM
You can PM someone by clicking on their user name on one of their posts.

Hmmm... still can't do it. Something's going on with my account permission, maybe? I'm a decently high-level computer user, too.

CTSV_510
05-02-12, 03:11 PM
Hmmm... still can't do it. Something's going on with my account permission, maybe? I'm a decently high-level computer user, too.

Yup, there is definitely something up with your permissions...I don't have the option to send you a message either. I'll send JimmyH a PM just in case he isn't paying attention, he should be able to fix it for you.

JimmyH
05-02-12, 03:28 PM
It's a combination of post count and time. We apologize for this, but the spammers have gotten really bad in the last couple of years. If you are not comfortable posting your email address (which you shouldn't anyway) you can email me, and I can forward your email address to whomever you wish via PM.

http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/email.gif

HAMSTAR
05-02-12, 04:07 PM
Post count, you say? Watch out forum, you're about to hear from me on a lot of crap I know nothing about...

JimmyH
05-02-12, 04:14 PM
post up whatever you want. spam away. but there's still a time limit. used to be that supporting members would automatically get pm privileges right away. not sure if that is still true or not. but an admin can give you pms.

----------

they can give you private messaging capabilities too.

JDB
05-02-12, 05:01 PM
seriously? tires lasted me over 3 years and you think i bought them solely for tread pattern? google just about any car with forged 3pc. wheels and 8 out of 10 are wrapped in Nitto Invos.

It was a joke...that's how someone asked in the Appearance forum of which tire he should choose.

But, if you want me to respond directly to you...who provides a wear rate for tires based on time?? 3 years...the PO of my V drove it 2k miles...Hoosiers may have lasted 3 years for him.

odthetruth
05-02-12, 05:26 PM
I knew the picking based on tire appearance was a joke...
but then I saw OP had a good ol' truck motor like mine, so I den figured he might like dese:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/images/NT-202830.jpg

The tread pattern would basically be a foreshadowing of what the car would end up in with them. LOL

But on a serious note, just have to figure what you want to do... change tires out for winter, or run all seasons? What exactly do you drive IN weatherwise, etc. And that'll help with the choice. I saw alot of good tire choices in this thread.

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 10:47 AM

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 10:49 AM
Just found another donk. I think I will just ride on rims for a few months. Do you guys know which naked rims offer the best traction?

That is lulz worthy...

tony tone
05-03-12, 11:04 AM
it's all good. not going to lie though the thread pattern is pretty sick on the Invo, but it wasn't what drove the purchase. it was almost a cookie cutter decision when it came to those with forged wheels, they all chose Invos and now know why. :)

just trying to relay personal experience with these lasting a hell of a long time considering the circumstances.

HAMSTAR
05-03-12, 12:01 PM
it's all good. not going to lie though the thread pattern is pretty sick on the Invo, but it wasn't what drove the purchase. it was almost a cookie cutter decision when it came to those with forged wheels, they all chose Invos and now know why. :)

just trying to relay personal experience with these lasting a hell of a long time considering the circumstances.

The Invo got slammed in the C&D review:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/nitto-invo-page-4

tony tone
05-03-12, 01:23 PM
The Invo got slammed in the C&D review:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/nitto-invo-page-4

I'm aware of that review and I couldn't understand why it got such a bad one. I drive my car pretty aggressively just about daily and take pretty harsh turns without even a hint of oversteer. Towards the end of the tire's life where the tread was basically non-existent was the only time where I had some traction issues. I brought this information to my buddy that owns 360 Forged when I saw 35 pending wheel orders ALL of which were awaiting Nitto Invo tires... 1000hp vipers, 100s of zo6s, lambos, among many other great cars riding on these and asked why because of the reviews... basically told me you'll wipe your ass with that review once you're on them.... and i did. They're truly great and won't go back to another tire unless there's a smoking deal of some sort. i can't complain one bit. :)

/.02

tt

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 01:53 PM
Ignorance is bliss...

tony tone
05-03-12, 02:19 PM
lol, it was only a matter of time before you started getting witty on me.

guessing all the other $100k+ car owners must be just as ignorant. :bouncy:

thebigjimsho
05-03-12, 02:30 PM
Indeed.

lulz

Koooop
05-04-12, 02:49 AM
The Hankook gives you a great bang for the buck, long tread life and excellent perfomance. 6 sets of tires have been on my V:

Original Supercars (to expensive to replace and only went 7,000 miles)
GSD3 (great tire)
Dunlop Direzza (absolute crap, I took 'em off after a few thousand miles)
PS2 (outstanding tire dry, wet good tire)
Two sets of Hankook Ventus V12. (Please note, Two sets.)

I like the Hankooks, right price, excellent performance, long life, best tire in standing water I've had on the car. My car does not go on a track, but it does get pushed daily in the corners on the street. For a couple of hundred more I'd try the PSS just to see how they are, you can't go wrong with Michelin. I tried the Hankook after reading some reveiws and I am not disappointed. Be sure, if the PS2 and the Hankook were about the same price I'd buy the PS2.

2007ThunderV
05-04-12, 08:46 AM
100 percent vote goes to michelin pilot super sports, great tire
reasons:
1.super soft dry traction
2.great ride(no tire noise)
3.decent wet traction unless you drive like dukes of hazzard
4.price is decent considering the quality of tires you are getting
5. they smoke really good
all in all pss was the best investment i made yet on this car. they really put the power to ground.

GDPossehl
05-04-12, 11:47 PM
I'll chime in for feedback on the Yoko S.drives. I don't really have a tire to compare them to on this car b/c the PS2's that came on the car were far past expiration (threads were showing on inner of rears).

I will say that in the linked review earlier in the thread it is mentioned the S.Drives were "very quiet." HARDLY the case. After about 2k miles these tires are VERY NOISY. However, that is my only complaint. They handled well around deals gap and I never heard a peep out of them while being pushed through corners. The treadwear is decent for a summer performance tire. It's almost a year later and 14k miles and the tread still looks pretty good.

I will, however, be looking for a different set of tires the next time around--mostly because of the noise.

They are an attractive tire though... the sidewalls are nice, the tread pattern is directional and somewhat aggressive.
They are strikingly similar to the Hankooks which received stellar reviews. Hankooks may be my next tires.

mstrjon32
05-05-12, 08:12 AM
Dunlop Direzza (absolute crap, I took 'em off after a few thousand miles)

Were these the Direzza Star Spec's, or the original Direzza's? I was about to order a set of the Star Spec's to put on my Saturn...

Koooop
05-05-12, 02:58 PM
I don't remember which dunlops they were, DZ somethin' or other. It was a long time ago but I sure remember how bad they sucked. If Hankook makes a Ventus V12 for your Saturn go with that. Pretty much of the rest of the Hankook line up is crap.

mstrjon32
05-05-12, 07:06 PM
The Saturn uses the same size tires as the V, so I'll look into the V12. Thanks.

thebigjimsho
05-06-12, 12:52 AM
Nice, you have a Sky!

Aurora40
05-06-12, 10:02 AM
So I'm in the market for some tires that will handle rain, keeping in mind that I do intend to put a different set of winter tires on the car in the wintertime. However, if you can recommend a set of exception all-season tires that will handle a little light snow/ice, then that's cool too.
If you are going to run winter tires, then Michelin Pilot Super Sports 100%. Excellent in the rain, mind bending in the dry. They've blown me away, and impressed everyone who has driven or ridden in my car. I also run Wintersport M3's from around November to March. I really like them, they are quite good in the snow, but still a decent performance tire the 98% of the time it is just cold and dry. They do squirm a bit, but the tread is pretty thick.

mstrjon32
05-06-12, 12:47 PM
Aurora40: Are they still making the Winter Sport M3's? Tirerack doesn't seem to carry them in our size. I have a set of M3 DSST's that I bought second-hand, but they're pretty worn out now and I'll probably need something new for next winter.

Koooop
05-06-12, 02:13 PM
The PSS would need to show a major improvement over the PS2 in the rain to be anywhere near as good as the Hankook V12 (wet performance). The V12 is absolutely outstanding in the rain/standing water, leaps and bounds better than the PS2 was (based upon my experience with one particular pool of standing water on PCH between my house and my office and how the V was all over the road on the PS2 but just does a happy dance in the same pool with the V12's, going around corners the stick waaay better in the rain as well). It doesn't get real cold at the beach in So Cal, so I'm driving in a warmer climate without to much rain. With the pogo stick of a rear end I couldn't imagine how bad V1 on any tire would suck in the snow or ice.

thebigjimsho
05-07-12, 01:08 AM
I did not find the wet performance of the Hankook any better than the PS2. About the same, to me. But, going from wet pavement to standing water is where the Hankooks shine.

Kooop is right. I was driving in a monsoon in VT last Sept and there were ruts in VT-5 with 3-4" of standing water. The Hankooks were so good, I was accelerating up to 80mph, laughing like a kid at how the tires cut right through...

Koooop
05-07-12, 03:56 PM
I did not find the wet performance of the Hankook any better than the PS2. About the same, to me. But, going from wet pavement to standing water is where the Hankooks shine.

Kooop is right. I was driving in a monsoon in VT last Sept and there were ruts in VT-5 with 3-4" of standing water. The Hankooks were so good, I was accelerating up to 80mph, laughing like a kid at how the tires cut right through...

Jim is a tough sell, he thought I was nuts when I made earlier comments on the wet performance of the V12's.

How about the dry? Less feed back and you don't feel like superman? I still can't put my finger on what is better about the PS2 dry, the PS2 has that "I'm invincible" feel where the Hankook doesn't.

thebigjimsho
05-07-12, 04:10 PM
I've always said the Hankooks have about 85% of the dry performance of the PS2. I also think the PS2 is more predictable at the limit.

Where the Hankooks are obviously lacking is on hard launches. The Hankooks just can't launch as hard...

JDB
05-07-12, 05:26 PM
I don't remember which dunlops they were, DZ somethin' or other. It was a long time ago but I sure remember how bad they sucked. If Hankook makes a Ventus V12 for your Saturn go with that. Pretty much of the rest of the Hankook line up is crap.

No way they were the Star Spec version. Have them on the V now and they are awesome dry grip and what a lot of track junkies use for DEs. You probably had the Dunlop Direzza DZ101 (Ulta High Performancr category) not the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (Extreme Performance category).

mstrjon32
05-07-12, 05:41 PM
No way they were the Star Spec version. Have them on the V now and they are awesome dry grip and what a lot of track junkies use for DEs. You probably had the Dunlop Direzza DZ101 (Ulta High Performancr category) not the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (Extreme Performance category).

So, you're saying I should go ahead and get a set for the Sky?

Koooop
05-07-12, 07:57 PM
I've always said the Hankooks have about 85% of the dry performance of the PS2. I also think the PS2 is more predictable at the limit.

Where the Hankooks are obviously lacking is on hard launches. The Hankooks just can't launch as hard...

I'm not making 600HP, launch is not an issue here!

thebigjimsho
05-07-12, 10:55 PM
True.

Heavybody
05-07-12, 11:35 PM
I bought my car with basically bald tires and made the horrible mistake of buying tires i thought looked somewhat cool... Do NOT put Goodyear Eagle GT's on your V they are all season tires and are even M+S rated! They were decent when new but i never felt very comfortable with them in the rain (and they were frightening towards the end of their life in the rain) I would have never driven with them in the snow not in a million years... And for an added bonus they probably only really lasted about 15000 to 17000 miles

I recently replaced the GT's with nitto NT-555 and they are great so far in the rain but i haven't had the chance to really push them on dry pavement but so far so good!! night and day VS the goodyears!

CTSV_510
05-08-12, 07:54 AM
I recently replaced the GT's with nitto NT-555 and they are great so far in the rain but i haven't had the chance to really push them on dry pavement but so far so good!! night and day VS the goodyears!

Good to see someone else chime in about the NT-555s, they're great tires! 450 rwhp here and I can hook 2nd after skipping through 1st, that says a lot. Cornering confidence is really high too, they stick like glue.

2007ThunderV
05-08-12, 08:21 AM
Good to see someone else chime in about the NT-555s, they're great tires! 450 rwhp here and I can hook 2nd after skipping through 1st, that says a lot. Cornering confidence is really high too, they stick like glue.
good to see the nittos would hae been a good choice for me, i had my search marrowed down to pss or 555s and ended up going with pss.
iam in the same boat heads cam, intake, roughly 450 wheel hp, and i can hook up in seccond gear real good to.
only time i cant hook seccond is if i blow the tires of in first andpowershift into seccond, just makes for a real squearlly ride and lots of smoke.

Aurora40
05-10-12, 04:05 PM
Aurora40: Are they still making the Winter Sport M3's? Tirerack doesn't seem to carry them in our size. I have a set of M3 DSST's that I bought second-hand, but they're pretty worn out now and I'll probably need something new for next winter.
It doesn't look like they are. Which sucks. Mine are almost new though, only used them two winters so far, they still have tons of tread left. I would absolutely buy them again, though I guess I won't be able to. :(

JDB
05-10-12, 04:54 PM
I loved my Dunlop Winter Sport M2 tires on my Audi A4...could go anywhere in deep snow. Was replaced with the M3. Now its the 3D. It just keeps getting better. Much better than Blizzaks, but that's what I picked up barely used for my V. Also a big fan of Nokian winters...had the NRW on my A4 which had a slighty better sidewall for "performance" in the dry whereas most winters are like marshmallows. Was called the WR ...now called the the WR G2.

Are we really talking about winters? I feel like I just took them off!

ronr
05-16-12, 12:50 PM
http://www.vredestein.com/car-tyres/summer/ultrac-sessanta/info/

Anyone heard anything about these?

mstrjon32
05-16-12, 02:58 PM
I've seen them advertised in some German car mags...