: K & N Air Filter

robert
11-24-04, 10:08 AM
Gee I miss my K&N air filter in my 05 STS, they do improve performance. Does anyone know if they are making the filter yet or when K&N will make a filter.
I have had no problems with my 05 STS, so far it's perfect, no problems.
Well maybe one little problem, I want the wire mesh grill but my wife likes the factory grill so I guess it's the factory grill.

Dressel
11-24-04, 10:07 PM
I have checked and they do not make one yet, one caution is I have a 50th anniversary and put a K&N on and the oil soaked filter screwed up my throttle body, went to a Donaldson black hawk and all was well. I too have been looking and if you find something let me know.

Showgun
12-18-04, 05:52 PM
I am also like you I also want a K&N air filter also but no new filters yet from K&N

coati
04-13-07, 12:08 AM
Great news!!!:)
K&N Air Filter #33-2356 works in the '05-'07 STS!!!
If you go to the K&N site (www.knfilters.com), they have this filter listed for:

2007 CADILLAC STS 4.6L V8 F/I - All
2007 CADILLAC STS 3.6L V6 F/I - All
2007 CADILLAC SRX 4.6L V8 F/I - All
2007 CADILLAC SRX 3.6L V6 F/I - All
2006 CADILLAC SRX 4.6L V8 F/I - All
2006 CADILLAC SRX 3.6L V6 F/I - All
2005 CADILLAC SRX 4.6L V8 F/I - All
2005 CADILLAC SRX 3.6L V6 F/I - All
2004 CADILLAC SRX 4.6L V8 F/I - All
2004 CADILLAC SRX 3.6L V6 F/I - All

I spoke with a K&N tech support person this morning regarding this filter working in an '05/'06 Cadillac STS & he said it would only work on the '07.

I spoke with a Cadillac parts man at the dealership where my STS came from & asked him if the OEM air filters are interchangeable from '05-'07.
He checked on his computer & he said yes they're all the same & would work.

I just got my filter in today & installed it tonight in my '06 STS w/Northstar engine.
Very simple procedure that should take 10-20 minutes at the most.
Just follow the instructions in the STS Owner's Manual (Page 5-25/'06 STS Owner's Manual).
It's a direct replacement of the original.

Took the STS out for a test drive & sure enough it works!
It seems to be a bit noisier but you can also feel a slight boost in power at take-off & accelerating.
Hopefully it'll help out gas mileage wise too.
Someone posting in the SRX forum made a recent announcement about this filter & raved about it.
He claimed that he noticed more power & about a 1-mpg increase in fuel mileage.
I believe it could very well be true.
Autoanything.com has it in stock for $43.95 shipped.
This could be the best alternative to a Volant/aftermarket CAI for the $$$.

Force-1
04-13-07, 08:32 AM
You can also get it at AJ USA.Com (http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/stores/details?vendor_code=KNF&ajr_part_number=KNF%2033-2356&source=lookup), for $42.50 shipped.

jjsocrazy
04-13-07, 09:37 AM
Looks like I'm in luck! :) I made a thread on my new 07 STS and I put all the info on the filters in a post on there. It says they have for 05 and 06 I believe. Getting the 07 was no problem, I wonder why?

Benjamin Simon
04-19-07, 09:32 AM
Looks like something I want to do.
How often do you need to clean these? I am trying to figure out when it would pay for it self.
Anyone else have one?

Jesda
04-19-07, 09:54 AM
I recommend against K&N because the filter oil can gum up the TB and air sensor. They also allow more dirt to enter the intake, causing early engine wear.

But if you're leasing, hey, who cares!

Benjamin Simon
04-19-07, 10:03 AM
Well that does not sound good. So the oiled filters do not work as well as the paper ones?

robert
04-19-07, 10:30 AM
The only way a K & N filter can cause damage to your engine is THAT THE FILTER WAS OVER OILED by someone who was cleaning the filter then they applied too much oil to the clean filter. I was guilty of that once when I was cleaning my K&N that I had in my 98 STS. After the K&N filter is cleaned and dry, apply a light spray of K&N filter oil on the outside of the filter.

cguthrie
04-19-07, 03:31 PM
Has anyone attached a cone type K&N filter, similar to one of the threads w/the Volant w/out the box?

Any testing on this set-up?

It appears that D3 has a plastic tube w/a cone filter, but I'm not sure the $$$ for the plastc tube is worth the money.

Cheers,

CG
2005 STS 1SG

jjsocrazy
04-19-07, 08:08 PM
I just got my K & N Air Filter and it sounds really good. I here more of a push of air when I hit the gas, definetly a difference. Althought the performance I haven't checked yet, but will soon! :)

Force-1
04-19-07, 08:14 PM
I have used K&N on many different cars for years. I don't worry about over oiling them--when they need replacement, I simply toss them out and buy a new one.

rb92gt
04-19-07, 10:21 PM
I put a K&N panel filter in my 1992 Mustang GT at 15,000 miles. Now has 100,000 miles, never had any problems. Awaiting box in mail with K&N for 2006 STS!

Jesda
04-20-07, 12:05 PM
The only way a K & N filter can cause damage to your engine is THAT THE FILTER WAS OVER OILED by someone who was cleaning the filter then they applied too much oil to the clean filter. I was guilty of that once when I was cleaning my K&N that I had in my 98 STS. After the K&N filter is cleaned and dry, apply a light spray of K&N filter oil on the outside of the filter.

Actually the K&N filter is worse at the actual act of filtration. More microparticulates find their way in, leading to excessive ring wear. Sure, there can be a performance boost on some cars with restrictive intake designs (for quiet), but there's a long-term cost.

You have to decide if you want acceleration now or a stronger engine later. If you're the type who gets a different car every 1-3 years and doesn't put more than 12k on per year, it probably won't matter. If you're a high-mileage road trip driver like myself, it makes a difference.

Benjamin Simon
04-20-07, 12:36 PM
Jesda, your point sounds reasonable. Where did you get your information from? Is this your logical opinion or did you learn this from some type of test?

mocts
04-20-07, 05:31 PM
im not taking sides in this issue as im on the fence concerning the benefits and negatives associated with cai and high flow filters.

heres some info that i found on the k and n website

http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm#WORD

Jesda
04-21-07, 09:36 AM
Jesda, your point sounds reasonable. Where did you get your information from? Is this your logical opinion or did you learn this from some type of test?

Combination of observation, third parties, and personal conclusions. I'm not saying a K&N filter is going to blow up anyone's engine, but I am saying that the filtration is inferior. Just something to chew on. Enjoy the ride. :)

corvette00
04-23-07, 08:55 AM
After reading all the threads about all the improvements the K&N makes to the STS performance, I installed one last Friday. I did notice increased fuel economy, but I do not think the car is faster or louder. I also have a K&N in my 2000 vette, with the addition of a Z06 air box cover, this made a performance difference. I am debating about addiing CORSA next.

beanjapan
05-09-07, 01:35 AM
I'm in the same boat as you corvette00

i added my K&N filter to my 07 sts northstar v8 rwd, and i haven't noticed any performance gain, nor any change in pitch and tone (which should really change since your not changing the design of the resonator and air box)

I really do like the corsa exhaust, it sounds really appealing and i want to squeeze just a bit more power out of my motor before i can really say that i'm satisfied. the corsa exhaust also comes at a pretty decent price if you ask me. 700 - 800 dollars.

Spddemon
05-21-07, 10:51 PM
I put the K&N in last week in the v6 sts. already notice atleast half mile or more per gallon (depends on how foot heavy) and noticed the most improvement when the tranny is in sport mode... Before it seemed to flatline in the upper end of the rpms, now that it has more air it pulls a little bit longer than before.