: Using the Navi on the move

jsegal21
11-24-04, 01:56 AM
Hello all,

Just got my wife an Escalade. She (and I) Love the truck!

It has the navigation system. Is it true that you cannot use it (i.e. enter destinations etc.) while driving?

If that's true, I must tell you it is annoying. Sure, no one needs to fiddle with it and get distracted, but what about a passenger? What about pressing one button to retrieve a saved destination etc? This is not more fiddling than changing a CD or using the climate control while you drive. We all do it all the time!

I drive an Acura and it has a Navi too and I can program it at any time. It saved my butt many times where approaching a junction or a freeway split I can program quick and make sure I take the right freeway/street etc.

With the Escalade, in order to change route or make adjustments you need to, say, get off the freeway, find a safe stopping place (could be a mile or 2 or more down a dark street...) just to reprogram? That's sounds like way more risky than a few touches of the screen while driving.

Thanks for any input you may have!

PS> Is the Navi on the Escalade voice activated? What about real-time traffic reports? Do those link to the Navi like the 2005 Acura RL link? We got the entertainment system, but I wonder if you can watch a movie on the Navi screen? (while parked - I can live with that...)

johncole
11-24-04, 05:09 AM
True, you can't set destinations when in motion. You need to physically stop. I find this annoying having had this ability in my BMW X5. I've been keeping my eye out for a modification, but none yet. I so wish I could get the schematics for the delco radio and the panasonic RSE system.

Only way to get a video input into the the NAV radio is by making the modification described at this link. This mod is mainly for installing a backup camera, but you could just as well us it for piping in another video source.

http://pac-audio.com/vcix/vcigm2%20instructions.pdf

Dif
11-24-04, 12:18 PM
Your post started me thinking if it did work while the vehicle was in motion so I tried it.
I don't know if you can put in a destination from scratch ( definitely distracting while trying to drive ) but I was able to punch in and active the previous destination.. home .. while driving and it worked fine.
As for having the passenger doing it while your driving would be the real test for putting in a destination that wasn't previously stored.
If I remember correctly though, I read where it's warns against trying to do it while driving because of the distraction and I presumed it was mentioned because it will work while driving.
Just too distracting to try it.
Regards.. Frank

jsegal21
11-24-04, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. This weekend I'll play more with it but I fear the answer to my question is that you cannot start a new dest while driving. If you can reload from saved locations that is some good news. If not, it is all bad news. If I knew it, this would probably meant I would have gone with a different SUV or not opt for the Navi and install an aftermarket one.

Just think of the risk of having to get off the freeway, stop, reprogram and go. You loose major time, risk accident by getting off and on the freeway, risk getting carjacked while stopped in some dark street and you waste gas.... It really sucks.

Amir