: At the track... clutch acting up or not ???

SevillianSTS
04-27-12, 09:17 PM
Went to the track today; (first time ever)
13.69 and 13.56 and then 3rd run... not sure what happened.
stock tires and still waiting for axles to show up.

Kind of a low end track

anyways... on my third run; decided to warm up the tires. So I did a pretty nice burnout in staging.
I noticed the warm tires at launch; helped a lot. but then I swear the clutch stuck down when I pushed in to shift to second.
"as I'm on the track... things go by kinda fast." I pressed clutch again, I think I moved the shifter around real quick, back to second... clutch engaged and I took off.

Car drove home fine. for a split second I thought my clutch was gone, but its been fine ever since.

any thoughts.... ???

----------

I got on it pretty hard a few times on the way home and all seemed normal.

rand49er
04-27-12, 09:44 PM
Do a search. Back in the day, this happened to several guys on their '04s ... not sure about '05s. Darn clutch pedal just stayed there on the floor. Sorry, since it didn't happen to me, I didn't pay much attention as to what the dealers did to remedy the situation.

CTSV_510
04-27-12, 10:38 PM
My clutch went to the floor one time years ago, but never again. :mystery:

SevillianSTS
04-27-12, 10:44 PM
I do remember reading something about some guys drilling out a restriction. Is this where I might have a problem?

Would the "burn-out" have anything to do with this also ?

rand49er
04-27-12, 10:50 PM
Don't know about the burnout part, but the guys that reported the occurrences were running WOT through the gears when it happened, IIRC.

odthetruth
04-27-12, 11:39 PM
I think the burnout might have something to do with this...

I've had it happen to me once when I was playing in the parking lot sideways. It boggled my mind. I then checked fluid, pumped the clutch, everything was A-O-K and it never ever happened again. Mystery indeed.

CTSV_510
04-28-12, 10:25 AM
My clutch went to the floor one time years ago, but never again. :mystery:

To add to this...when it happened I pulled out on a road and slid the tail out spinning the wheels through first gear to 6000 rpms and when I went to shift to 2nd, the clutch didn't come back up. I kicked it again and it came up.

SevillianSTS
04-28-12, 01:03 PM
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one, and that "technically" I guess there should be nothing wrong with my car.

Any mods or solutions to fix this; or what needs replacing. I'm at 75k so I know my clutch is far from perfect.

Would an LS7 clutch / slave upgrade cure this ?

----------

I found this thread... but it says nothing about stock clutch setups ?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/196764-anyone-here-drill-thier-master.html

is my problem related ? or do I just need to replace some parts that are worn ?

repenttokyo
04-28-12, 01:25 PM
this has happened to me on more than one occasion in my 04, almost always after being sideways in a parking lot or around a 90-degree corner. Last month it happened to me twice over the course of the weekend, had to physically pull the clutch up from the floor. It never seems to do any damage.

Faber
04-29-12, 10:34 AM
As others mentioned, glad it's not just me this is happening to. Mines not too bad - stock V - stock clutch, likely original with 75K on it. At high rpm shifting, sometimes the clutch will feel like it is "sucked" down - doesn't return quickly after engaging. But it's only a few seconds (feels like eternity) and then is back to normal. No issues with regular driving, even if I get on her as long as I'm not too high in rpms.

There's this thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/112472-tsbs-not-warranty-covered-item.html) that talks about a TSB, with the following explanation that makes sense & puts it in a much more logical sense than I was thinking:
It is possible that when the engine speed is greater than 6000 RPM and the clutch pedal is depressed,
centrifugal loads on the clutch diaphragm spring may be greater than the clutch return load from the
diaphragm spring. This force created by RPM would be directionally opposite to the clutch bearing
force, causing a near net zero or less than zero return force. As a consequence, the clutch pedal may be
stuck at the bottom of travel at the floor. Once the engine speed reduces to less than 6000 RPM, spring
return load dominates and the clutch pedal returns to normal function.

ONly says 05 on this TSB, but curious if there is a related '04 one...Given that the TSB mentions that it is clutches built PRIOR to the date code, possibly the '04 clutches could exhibit this same issue? Sucks that finding the date code requires dropping the transmission :(

SevillianSTS
04-29-12, 11:23 AM
So it seems this is an 04 / 05 issue. But my car is a 2007 ???

Any suggestions on how you guys would handle this ? or leave it be until clutch needs total replacement ?

odthetruth
04-29-12, 11:48 AM
I have an 06. Its only literally happened once to me, and it was during some sideways play. I'd leave it for now until its time for clutch replacement

Overd0s3
04-29-12, 04:57 PM
my clutch pedal sticks to the ground sometimes -06 with stock clutch- seems to do it in cold weather... I don't know what the issue is. Happens no matter how slow or fast you shift

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-30-12, 11:26 AM
Sorry to hear about the confusion, SevillianSTS! If you send me your name and VIN, I can research your vehicle to confirm if there are any recalls, etc., open. I'm always happy to assist, so please feel free to send me a private message anytime and I can investigate concerns on your behalf.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service