: ACDELCO best water pump?

BLMDeville
04-27-12, 09:22 PM
What's the best water pump to buy without breaking my wallet? I want to go with ACDELCO. I see two listed on rockauto.com
PN 252720 @ $51.79 without the gasket
PN 251595 @ $166.79 with gasket

What's the best way to go?

dennis93coupe
04-28-12, 03:16 AM
I have heard alot of complaints about cheap replacement water pumps. My car sat in moth balls for 6 years until 2 years ago. The gasket was leaking, but the pump was good and I just went ahead and replaced it. I used to deal alot with a GM dealer, so I went ahead and got a new pump from there. Nearly fainted when I found out how much, but the parts guy asked if I want the good one that will last or the one if I'm getting rid of the car. GM dealers will always be more expensive, I didn't know about rockauto.com at that time either. I bought the expensive one and haven't had any problems yet. I also did not want to do the job over again for quite awhile.

BLMDeville
04-29-12, 12:20 AM
I guess what im trying to get at is the 252 720 that much inferior to the 251 720 to explaine the $100 price difference?

BLMDeville
04-29-12, 03:46 AM
251 595*

drewsdeville
04-29-12, 10:48 AM
Sometimes you have to be careful as price doesn't necessarily dictate quality, but rather warranty. A lot of times, the two parts are the exact same piece, the more expensive having a significantly longer warranty than the cheap one.

sprocket
04-29-12, 10:13 PM
I bought a rebuilt at the auto parts store and had to replace it within a year. The second one is new but not AC Delco. No problems with this one so far.

BLMDeville
04-30-12, 07:01 PM
Just ordered acdelco 251 595 new on ebay for $147 with free shipping

Now all i need is a set of torx bits and a gasket and probably some adhesive.

Any thoughts on what kind of gasket to get? Will an aftermarket one be ok?

drewsdeville
04-30-12, 11:01 PM
The pump should come with one

dennis93coupe
05-01-12, 02:27 AM
If the gasket does not come with it, Felpro or Victor should be fine.

brougham
05-01-12, 07:44 PM
After having Delco ones go within 2 years I go with whatever cheapest NEW one I can find. Skip rebuilt altogether.

BLMDeville
05-02-12, 10:48 PM
Well the damage is done part in the mail. Will keep that in mind for future reference.

But anyway just bought a t45 torx bit. (too broke to buy a set) a new serpintine belt and a tensioner pully for a little while im at it preventive maintenance. The pully had a little play and was suspect for the grinding noise I've been hearing.

So far this project has run me a little over $200 not too bad seeing as im doing it right. I want the best for my ride but I've been doing some shopping around to get the most bang for my buck.

Still need to get some coolant and a good seal for the gasket but if all goes right i should have every thing done this weekend.

dennis93coupe
05-02-12, 11:08 PM
It's tough getting in there, but make sure you get all of that old gasket off. Good luck.

BLMDeville
05-03-12, 12:26 AM
Thanks i might need it.
I removed the battery, drier and the coolant tank. Or what ever that thing is, that was in the way. Loosened the water pump pully and removed the belt then pulley.

After that its not too bad. I hit the bolts with some degreaser and scrubbed off all the crud that was built up with an old tooth brush. Then I hit them with some WD 40

Any ideas on how to clean off the old gasket on a budget?

dennis93coupe
05-03-12, 02:55 PM
I have a scraper that has a holder for a razor blade. Has a long handle and I think I got it at home depot years ago. If you want to scuff it a little to clean it good, get a piece of sand paper and cut a piece to fit over the end of a paint stir stick. I only mention the goofy tools with long reach because my experience is a little tough getting enough clearance between frame and engine. I think I may have taken the alternator off also. and the cruise bracket. and I also took the rh front wheel off. and the plastic splash shield. I tend to get carried away tho. :bigroll:

Sevillian273
05-04-12, 10:44 PM
I know a former GM tech who says you can unbolt the front motor mount and jack up the engine for better access to the pump. Maybe the rear also, I cant remember... Either way, the motor mount nuts are easily accessed from below the subframe, 2 per mount.

I like to use this on gaskets, especially water pump gaskets since using a conservative amount of sealer is critical. I've even used it on head gaskets. Cheap insurance.
http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/0000-Permatex-Copper-Spray-A-Gasket---.jpg

As far as removing old gasket material: Acetone and elbow grease, mostly the grease.

BLMDeville
05-06-12, 01:43 PM
Ya that's what my dad told me to get for the gasket. But the water pump i got came with a bad gasket so they are sending me a new one in the mail.

When i unbolt the water pump is it going to make a mess?

Sevillian273
05-06-12, 03:19 PM
I haven't changed one of these yet but like any water pump, you can expect coolant to spill out once you separate it from the engine.

BLMDeville
05-07-12, 12:05 AM
Should i put a drain pan under it?

drewsdeville
05-07-12, 12:45 PM
If you don't want a mess, you'll want to put a drain pan under it.

BLMDeville
05-17-12, 08:51 PM
Just removed the old pump should i use antiseize on the bolts when i put them back on or do they need any sealnt

dennis93coupe
05-18-12, 09:46 AM
Make sure you get the surface on the cover clean. If the threads are rusty, nuts and bolts will not screw in easily by hand, get a wire brush and clean them up real good. I didn't use any sealer or antiseize on mine, just clean and dry. Others have used a product called gasket cinch, (sp)

cadillac_al
05-18-12, 10:41 AM
Drain the radiator first to eliminate most of the mess. I never unbolt any motor mounts because there is always enough flex in them to let me jack it up about 1 inch to get the clearance I need. Be careful not to tighten those small bolts too tight. They are easy to strip.

BLMDeville
05-18-12, 11:52 AM
I got it all back together i used a little bit of sealnt for the bolts just in case. The old ones looked like they might have had some on them so i wire brushed it off cleaned off the old gasket real good and put it all back together. Although there was a bunch of gunk in the coolant tank so im probably going to take it back off tonight and clean it up. I don't want that cap to circulate through the system.

My first time doing a water pump and honestly i thought the hardest part was getting the belt back on. I didn't have to jack the motor up I had plenty of clearance once i removed everything out from infront of the motor.

Im just a stubborn SOB who doesn't like to pay anyone to work on my car. Thanks to everyone for their input.

I can't wait to fire it up and see how she does (i figured i would let the gasket set over night) i also replaced just about every vacuum line i seen. Also put a new idler pully and belt thermoatat and temp sensor.

I am waiting on my FSM and I am thinking about tackling my heating and air next and hopefully get this suspension kit on there.

dennis93coupe
05-19-12, 11:44 AM
Sounds like you're good to go. I quit using sealer on gaskets decades ago. Just my experience and just the way I do things which I'm sure a war could get started over this as everybody has their way of doing it, so I won't say anymore on this. Also look at taking the front wheel off, pull the pins holding the splash shield and you have tons of room from the bottom.

A lot of don't want to pay someone to work on their car and that's why we are here.

You ordered a FSM, good for you! Best investment you can make now that you are doing most or all of your own work.

brougham
05-20-12, 02:58 PM
Sounds like you're good to go. I quit using sealer on gaskets decades ago. Just my experience and just the way I do things which I'm sure a war could get started over this as everybody has their way of doing it, so I won't say anymore on this. Also look at taking the front wheel off, pull the pins holding the splash shield and you have tons of room from the bottom.

A lot of don't want to pay someone to work on their car and that's why we are here.

You ordered a FSM, good for you! Best investment you can make now that you are doing most or all of your own work.

1994&95s have a bit more room to work there then other years. You can get to everything from the top but I usually take out the battery and rad overflow to get more room.

dennis93coupe
05-20-12, 11:59 PM
1994&95s have a bit more room to work there then other years. You can get to everything from the top but I usually take out the battery and rad overflow to get more room.

Yes, those too.^^^^^

BLMDeville
05-21-12, 11:40 PM
Update

After replacing just about every vacuum line i could find in the engine bay. Once i started her up i started checking for vacuum. After finding a hiss on the passenger side by the fire wall on the line that runs down off of the T. One that i replaced i found the leak. Turns out i didn't have the line on all the way. After securing the line, low and behold my blower motor kicked on and started blowing air like never before.

Fix it no big deal

Once i got her out on the road she ran smoother than ever before. No hesitation when i hit the gas, nice and quiet. She just purred.

And i was extremely happy with it.

Until...

I got on the highway and the dreaded "ENGINE HOT" light came on (A050) accompanied by the A/C compressor off.

( wich is unplugged because i just replaced it not too long ago and wanted to wait until I fixed the blower motor and recharge the system)

After some near heart failure and head scratching i realized im an idiot after consulting with my dad.

Turns out you are supposed to leave the engine running while filling the radiator.

Who da knew?

lol so after sitting on the side of the road and doing so i finally got her home and there she sits to cool down until tomorrow when i can properly fill her up right.

Any suggestions on how to do so, aside from don't be a retard?

cadchris
06-07-12, 04:25 PM
MAYBE, MAYBE NOT.............I'm Bumping this because I'm so disgusted with my ordeal. See my Delco and Cardone Waterpump fiasco:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/ht4100-4-1-4-5-4/217968-bad-c-delco-waterpump-91-eldo-3.html

I would've told him to keep his old pump if it was not giving him any problems or find an original in the junk yard!

Surprisingly, Rockauto no longer lists the more expensive #251595 pump that I bought and failed within a year unless they are just out of stock.

Hopefully he purchased a new Delco Tensioner or used the original o.e. one as long as it wasn't vibrating. Only a therory of mine and other pump failures that I'll need to test.

What's the best water pump to buy without breaking my wallet? I want to go with ACDELCO. I see two listed on rockauto.com
PN 252720 @ $51.79 without the gasket
PN 251595 @ $166.79 with gasket

What's the best way to go?