: Dealership repair.... TOTAL RIP OFF!!!

darkknight1999
04-27-12, 06:41 PM
Ok so it goes like this...

I had a sway bar connector break the other day on the Escalade... not a big deal. So I bought the parts to replace both of them even though only one was broken. Its best to replace these in a set... as the other is bound to be on it way out.
So I purchased the parts for $35 bucks (rockauto.com great place to get parts) the parts I purchased are factory GM ACDelco parts. I called the dealer this afternoon just to see what the Cadillac dealer here in Norwood, MA, would charge me to replace them. I spoke to the service counter guy... the quote... $196 bucks... FOR ONLY ONE!!!! Are you freaking kidding me! I even called my guy at the Firestone Tire shop where I get my tires... It was 1 hour labor ($59) and the parts ($50) So that's $109+tax for BOTH!
My cost if I do the work myself, $35 bucks. An car dealers wonder why no one comes to them for service. Because their Morons! Only an idiot would pay $196 bucksfor them to replace one. I would gladly pay Firestone the $120 bucks to fix them, just so I dont have to deal with it... but I'm not spending $492 simply because it says Cadillac on the sign out front. Where not rebuilding an engine here its 2 bolts... pretty simply. I can fix this in the driveway in under an hour myself.

So to the customer service rep that is surely going to read this.... maybe pass along to someone that matters... you know those guys that get paid a retarded amount of money to decisions like let change 4x the amount for a job that will only cost us $75 bucks.... yeah tell those guys I can see why they needed a bail out from the tax payers. Because no one in there right mind would pay that. NO ONE! You'd have to be a freaking MORON to pay that.

Rant over.

Stingroo
04-27-12, 07:08 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/19561798.jpg

[/thread]

quattrotman
04-28-12, 02:18 AM
I get how much overhead dealerships have and I understand why they charge higher labour rates but I got quoted $985 for front pads and rotors the other day. Wow. I just finished doing it myself for under $200. I have no problem with everyone making a living but that one I don't understand...and they gouge people like that all the time. Not to mention the 'technician' told me I had 10% lft on them and it was 'critical' I get it done. They had at least 75% on them when I took them off...just changed it all because the rotors were glazed and pulsating.
That kind of stuff really pisses me off.

MrHolland
04-28-12, 10:09 AM
There are some good dealers out there. Unfortunately they are few and far between. I'm going to start a thread and maybe it can become a sticky if people get involved

cutterman
04-29-12, 10:04 AM
I think a trustworthy local mechanic would have been a better choice than the dealer for that job, if you can find one.

Besides, to play devil's advocate here, of course they are going to jack up the labor rate since you are bringing in your own parts. You are eliminating one of their major sources of profit margin if they can't sell you the parts as well.

hcvone
04-30-12, 08:39 AM
I get how much overhead dealerships have and I understand why they charge higher labour rates but I got quoted $985 for front pads and rotors the other day. Wow. I just finished doing it myself for under $200. I have no problem with everyone making a living but that one I don't understand...and they gouge people like that all the time. Not to mention the 'technician' told me I had 10% lft on them and it was 'critical' I get it done. They had at least 75% on them when I took them off...just changed it all because the rotors were glazed and pulsating.
That kind of stuff really pisses me off.

I do my own work, but it's not about the money, for me it's knowing it's done right, not have to worry if someone remembered to put the lugs nuts on all the wheels, yea that another very bad Jeep story, but you also have to remember your time is worth something too. Many shops are at 100 dollars an hour and more and your money adds up quick, of course on top of that many dealerships, and shops mark up the parts a large percentage too, that is not really right IMO, but these new dealerships cost millions and then need to get their money back. :(

darkknight1999
04-30-12, 09:35 AM
I think a trustworthy local mechanic would have been a better choice than the dealer for that job, if you can find one.

Besides, to play devil's advocate here, of course they are going to jack up the labor rate since you are bringing in your own parts. You are eliminating one of their major sources of profit margin if they can't sell you the parts as well.

I wasn't bringing them my parts. That was the quote for the repair. The dealership was quoting the complete job. Dealerships as far as I and aware will not install parts you bring to them.

----------

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/19561798.jpg

[/thread]

Umm... I've run my own business before and currently... I dont ripe my clients off. Oh and what do you know... they ALWAYS call me back!

I'm sorry sir but you have no idea what your talking about.

hcvone
04-30-12, 09:36 AM
I wasn't bringing them my parts. That was the quote for the repair. The dealership was quoting the complete job. Dealerships as far as I and aware will not install parts you bring to them.

Some dealerships will install your parts, even headers, I know of a few dealerships that have done this, of course there is no warranty

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-30-12, 03:03 PM
So to the customer service rep that is surely going to read this.... maybe pass along to someone that matters... you know those guys that get paid a retarded amount of money to decisions like let change 4x the amount for a job that will only cost us $75 bucks.... yeah tell those guys I can see why they needed a bail out from the tax payers. Because no one in there right mind would pay that. NO ONE! You'd have to be a freaking MORON to pay that.

Rant over.

darkknight1999, I am very sorry to hear about your experience and will certainly document your comments so they can be accessed by GM departments. Please private message me anytime if you would like me to document further details or have any concerns I can investigate on your behalf!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

lousy_investor
04-30-12, 11:45 PM
I don't think it is fair to compare a professional job vs. a DIY. What other jobs out there in the world would it not be a ripoff if you comparing material costs vs. a complete job from beginning to finish? You go do your research to source from the cheapest vendor out there, say for your interlocking brick driveway. You rent all the equipment needed and then do the whole gig yourself. I am pretty sure the total cost would be a fraction of what any landscaping and construction company would quote you. I just cleaned up my front and back lawn today also. The saving is infinity because it is zero vs. $120 from my mom's gardener. I am just supporting the point hcvone made, that our time is worth something, and the time to learn how to do this right is worth even more. I, for one, can't imagine being able to even jack up an escalade and have the nerve to go underneath it! I would rather spend my time trying to learn that Beethoven piece I started 2 months ago! And yes, I regretted not getting my mom's gardener to get my yard done.

Having said that, there really is no excuse to overcharge the number of hours for a job. I thought GM would have some kind of guideline like a brake job is 1 hour (even if the mechanics actually spend 4 hours to just hammer off the wheel because it was stuck) and the dealerships would have to manage their work properly. Double edged sword - if it is fixed duration then the mechanics would try their best to finish the job as quickly as possible, potentially cutting corners, vs. they drag their feet if they are charged by the actual time spent. Having a dealership or mechanic you can trust makes a huge difference. I used to bring my BMW (before it was totaled) to an independent BMW specialty shop and they weren't any cheaper than the dealership. I just trusted the owner. I would almost buy a BMW just so I could have him as my mechanics again!

Sorry about the long post. I ranted because I took exception of you calling people moron in uppercase. :D

hannity
05-01-12, 01:10 AM

I had a sway bar connector break the other day on the Escalade... not a big deal. So I bought the parts to replace both of them even though only one was broken. Its best to replace these in a set... as the other is bound to be on it way out.
So I purchased the parts for $35 bucks (rockauto.com great place to get parts) the parts I purchased are factory GM ACDelco parts. I called the dealer this afternoon just to see what the Cadillac dealer here in Norwood, MA, would charge me to replace them. I spoke to the service counter guy... the quote... $196 bucks... FOR ONLY ONE!!!! Are you freaking kidding me! I even called my guy at the Firestone Tire shop where I get my tires... It was 1 hour labor ($59) and the parts ($50) So that's $109+tax for BOTH!
My cost if I do the work myself, $35 bucks. An car dealers wonder why no one comes to them for service. Because their Morons! Only an idiot would pay $196 bucksfor them to replace one. I would gladly pay Firestone the $120 bucks to fix them, just so I dont have to deal with it... but I'm not spending $492 simply because it says Cadillac on the sign out front. Where not rebuilding an engine here its 2 bolts... pretty simply. I can fix this in the driveway in under an hour myself.

Rant over.

I normally don't defend gm. But they have to stay in business too. After all you are putting American's to work and contributing to our economy. I understand no one wants to deal with car repairs. But this is what they do. All dealers foreign and domestic, charge a superfluous amount to fix things on their vehicles. That being said it seems mighty early for a sway bar to give out on an 07. But that's another issue all together. Just take it to firestone if you want, or do the repair yourself.

quattrotman
05-01-12, 02:55 AM
I don't think it is fair to compare a professional job vs. a DIY. What other jobs out there in the world would it not be a ripoff if you comparing material costs vs. a complete job from beginning to finish? You go do your research to source from the cheapest vendor out there, say for your interlocking brick driveway. You rent all the equipment needed and then do the whole gig yourself. I am pretty sure the total cost would be a fraction of what any landscaping and construction company would quote you. I just cleaned up my front and back lawn today also. The saving is infinity because it is zero vs. $120 from my mom's gardener. I am just supporting the point hcvone made, that our time is worth something, and the time to learn how to do this right is worth even more. I, for one, can't imagine being able to even jack up an escalade and have the nerve to go underneath it! I would rather spend my time trying to learn that Beethoven piece I started 2 months ago! And yes, I regretted not getting my mom's gardener to get my yard done.

Having said that, there really is no excuse to overcharge the number of hours for a job. I thought GM would have some kind of guideline like a brake job is 1 hour (even if the mechanics actually spend 4 hours to just hammer off the wheel because it was stuck) and the dealerships would have to manage their work properly. Double edged sword - if it is fixed duration then the mechanics would try their best to finish the job as quickly as possible, potentially cutting corners, vs. they drag their feet if they are charged by the actual time spent. Having a dealership or mechanic you can trust makes a huge difference. I used to bring my BMW (before it was totaled) to an independent BMW specialty shop and they weren't any cheaper than the dealership. I just trusted the owner. I would almost buy a BMW just so I could have him as my mechanics again!

Sorry about the long post. I ranted because I took exception of you calling people moron in uppercase. :D

I agree with you. I'm a contractor and I know exactly how much more it costs for me to do something for someone than if they do it themselves. I mark up my materials and charge quite a bit for labour but I've never had someone tell me they felt cheated. HOWEVER, when I buy brakes at Retail, put them in myself in 1.5 hours professionally (I used to turn wrenches when I was younger) and complete that job for $700+ less, there is something wrong with that picture. On top of that, they never really needed to be done based on visual inspection alone (double ripoff). I understand my time is worth money. That is why I got the quote because I wanted them to do it as I have no time and even at $100 an hour I would be better off having someone else do it. Point here is that the $900+ they quoted me makes no sense and is, too me purely taking advantage of people. Most people owning an escalade would be just fine spending that because they figure that they have an expensive high end vehicle and it just costs that much...not knowing that those brakes are the same as on the Tahoe, haven't changed for probably a decade or more and the parts are ridiculously cheap. Not to mention, doing the brakes is so easy it's laughable. Sorry but I just can't wrap my head around the cost they quoted me and any way I look at it, it makes my blood boil.

hcvone
05-01-12, 07:49 AM

I would agree but I am a ASE certified master tech with more training than probably anyone working for a GM dealership. GM just had a brake special which I can not find the ad for at this time, but it was like $100.00 per axle for pads and install, and they always have oil change specials, but it's really tough to give things away with monster mortgage payments

funhuman
11-20-14, 12:47 PM
I was looking for sway bar info and came across this thread.

I called Olsen Cadillac in Woburn, MA last week and asked how much per axle to do an OEM brake job (rotor's and pads), $648. installed. I then called Norwood (MA) Cadillac as mentioned by darkknight1999 who started this thread. Norwood Cadillac's OEM price $545. I then looked on Craigslist and found multiple guys who do the labor for $75. per axle. So total cost for each axle as compared with the dealers is $150. max for parts and $75. labor. In other words $545. at dealer and $225. DIY'r, more than double the cost! Look I don't want the dealers to go out of business but come on! These guys are pick pockets plain and simple and prey on the uninformed consumer. Especially older people who are the still the majority demographic for Cadillac.

I just bought my EBC yellow pads and sport rotor kit (front and rear)(dimpled/slotted) for $682.42 (tax included) at Auto Anything. Sullivan Tire is doing the install for $250. flat labor fee. That's a real tire company, not in my driveway! So full brake job front and rear with an awesome brake upgrade $982.42! That's still $100. less than the lowest dealer price and being done by a legit repair company.

BTW ordered a set of (4) 22 Alenza's from the same tire company doing the brake install (a couple days after the $250. brake quote so I could negotiate on both separately). They matched Tire Rack's $900. price. The dealer was $200. more before install.

Thanks

amunderdog
11-20-14, 01:02 PM
In my study of repair shop prices I think I saw double billing labor.
They offer a warranty on parts and labor.
The parts are warranted by the manufacturer.
The labor if it comes back is on the shop.
So when I ran the numbers for an estimate, I could clearly see they charged twice what the labor should have been.
It makes since to me.
If it comes back they are covered. If it does not come back they show a tidy profit at the end of the year.

RussellBoulding
11-20-14, 01:23 PM

Rant over.

The ACDelco part on RockAuto is from their "professional" line it may or may not be OEM. But, the list price on OEM is only $25. So if you had walked into the dealer parts department and bought them it should have cost $25/ea and no shipping. The book labor for this job is only .5 hrs each side or .6 to do both. So doing the math that makes their labor rate $316/hr. Now I run a repair shop specializing in Cadillac. I charge a fair and certainly not cheap rate. My labor rate is pretty close to what the dealers are around here. But, no one in this area is charging $300/hr or even $200/hr. A business has to make money. Trust me I get that. But, I'm with you darkknight1999 that quote was a little out of hand. By comparison I would have charged $115 plus tax to do both with OEM parts.

cutterman
11-20-14, 01:28 PM
Dealer mark up on parts is huge. I'm not necessarily sympathetic to the dealer but they have pretty high overhead compared to your local wrench.
I've had a good experience at Norwood Cadillac with some warranty repairs, and at Sullivan Tire in Norwood with repairs on my other cars.
One day while sitting in the waiting room at the Cadillac dealer the service writer came out and told an older gentleman that his battery had to be replaced- for $300! The guy just took it in stride. I guess ignorance is bliss. . .

funhuman
11-20-14, 01:31 PM
Though I agree somewhat with you amunderdog. Just called Olsen Cadillac: Oil change $90. Norwood Cadillac: Oil change $65. Same oil! Rip Off Artist's? Yes!!

dsminva
11-20-14, 08:09 PM
I have to ask why nobody does their own work?
An oil change? That's about the simplest maintenance thing you can do on any vehicle short of replacing wiper blades. And you don't even need to jack up the truck. I'm a big guy at 6'2" 250lbs and I fit under the truck just fine. 30 minutes later the job is complete, tools are put away, and everything is cleaned up. Not only that, but YOU KNOW the job was done right, using the exact oil you wanted.
Back in high school I used to have friends that would put in the cheapo oil and keep the good oil for themselves. How would the customer know the difference? One time years ago I was in a hurry to go out of town and let jiffy lube do an oil change. The next time I went to change the oil 4k later, I found they had not put the oil cap back on and it was sitting on my battery. Who knows how much dirt and other crap went into the engine :/

Brake pads and rotors? Simple! I just did them last weekend, AND put new calipers on, and it was a half a day. 2 hours tops to do just rotors and pads.